Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Major difference in floor heights ... how to fix?

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 10:07:45 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 9:14:05 PM UTC-4, J wrote:
We have someone renovating our 1920s bathroom. Somewhere along the way, he
discovered a 2" slope in the floor from the back of the 10' bathroom to the
front. He then went ahead and poured self leveling compound (SLC) on the floor
to "even things out" so that we can tile the floor and walls. Now there is a
2.5" difference in height between the bathroom floor and the hallway wood
flooring. I can't even find reducers that run that high, and any mockups I try
to make of a ramp look ridiculous.

Is this standard procedure for leveling a floor? I have never seen such a high
gap between substrates before. I have to really bend my knee to step down from
the bathroom into the hallway. I can't even find pictures of such a high gap
online. I am wondering why they chose to level the floor rather than just find
a middle ground and work from there. A 1" difference in height I could have
handled. Anyone have this happen before? How did you handle it? Thinking of
having poured floors removed, which sounds like a major undertaking I am keen
on avoiding. This just sticks out like a sore thumb as is. Thanks for any
information you can give!

I have to imagine that he would have had to build a dam to prevent the compound
from flowing into the hallway. As soon as that situation presented itself he should
have stopped. Did he really think that a 2.5" step into the bathroom would be OK
without asking you first?

+1 x 100

And what does the contractor say now? I'd be asking him how he
plans to solve it, what he was thinking.

If that happened to me, he'd be removing the floor and I would seriously consider
firing him. Something like that should have been signed off on by the client before
it was done.

+1

What did he do with the door? Cut it short? And as others have said,
an investigation needs to be done to find out where the sinking has
come from, is there a reasonable way to fix it correctly, is it stable
now or still sinking, etc.