Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone used S&S Mills Carpet- Dalton, GA?

On Monday, February 1, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Dennis wrote:
Thought I would throw this out to the group. Have found this above company on
the web which carpet can be ordered directly from them, supposedly eliminating the
middleman. They send on request, sample books of carpet and padding. Also some nice
brocures on their company, how to find a local installer or chose an installer from
their "network".

Thanks to Bruce of this group who has given me some excellent tips on buying from
mail order places in Dalton. But, was wondering if anyone has used this company?

Dennis

I ordered carpet from this company in 1996 and now am looking to replace it.My husband just found the paperwork and we're looking to order carpet from them again
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 10:43:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, February 1, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Dennis wrote:
Thought I would throw this out to the group. Have found this above company on
the web which carpet can be ordered directly from them, supposedly eliminating the
middleman. They send on request, sample books of carpet and padding. Also some nice
brocures on their company, how to find a local installer or chose an installer from
their "network".

Thanks to Bruce of this group who has given me some excellent tips on buying from
mail order places in Dalton. But, was wondering if anyone has used this company?

Dennis

I ordered carpet from this company in 1996 and now am looking to replace it.My husband just found the paperwork and we're looking to order carpet from them again

Unfortunately, 17 years ago, Dennis was kidnapped by mobsters who rolled him up in his carpet and took him away. He hasn't been heard from since. It was a real tragedy. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/08/2016 11:08 AM, Oren wrote:
Think it was_This Old House_ on an old episode did a tour of carpet
mills in Georgia. IIRC, most carpet is made in Georgia. Fabric and
cloth mills shut down many years ago in Alabama and Georgia. (Phenix
City, AL and Columbus, GA)

LA manufactures quite a bit too. When I was driving I frequently loaded
carpet in LA and delivered it to the Dalton area. Then I'd load carpet
and head back to LA, sometimes with a stop in Las Vegas. It all looked
like rugs to me.

You can't get 4 rows of carpet (12' long) in a 48' trailer so we had the
joy of pulling doubles, 2 rows in each pup. Fortunately the greater
acceptance of 53' trailers phased out the doubles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 20:47:24 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 08/08/2016 11:08 AM, Oren wrote:
Think it was_This Old House_ on an old episode did a tour of carpet
mills in Georgia. IIRC, most carpet is made in Georgia. Fabric and
cloth mills shut down many years ago in Alabama and Georgia. (Phenix
City, AL and Columbus, GA)

LA manufactures quite a bit too. When I was driving I frequently loaded
carpet in LA and delivered it to the Dalton area. Then I'd load carpet
and head back to LA, sometimes with a stop in Las Vegas. It all looked
like rugs to me.

You can't get 4 rows of carpet (12' long) in a 48' trailer so we had the
joy of pulling doubles, 2 rows in each pup. Fortunately the greater
acceptance of 53' trailers phased out the doubles.

Been years, but iirc, carpet could be ordered in 16' rolls, too.

Worked awhile as an carpet installer helper. 12' always hung out the
back doors of the work van
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2016 09:00 AM, Oren wrote:
Been years, but iirc, carpet could be ordered in 16' rolls, too.

15' is the other common size although I don't remember ever hauling any.
13.5' is the odd size.

15' would probably add shipping costs but sometimes that doesn't matter.
I ran from LA to Denver with 3 rolls of carpet once. It was for a
restaurant that would be closed for the one day for the installation.
The installer was caught short and whatever penalty he would incur by
missing the date was more than the transportation. That particular run
was COD for the delivery and he wrote a check for over $1000 without
blinking. I have no idea what the carpet was worth.

I liked that one. I went up the hill and through the Eisenhower tunnel
like a big dog. Beats lugging 44,000 lbs of dead batteries over the top.