Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mini Split heat pump for basement

I live in northern area.
2 story house 1200 sq ft on main floor, 800 sq ft on 2nd floor
basement is finished and about 1200 sq ft
House is currently heated with electric baseboard heaters.

We don't need air conditioning and there no problem with the heating.
R20 in all walls.
I run a dehumidifier in the basement - this is not currently a problem.

I want to reduce my energy costs and would like to install a (mini split) heat pump however I want the indoor unit to be in the basement.

Can you install a mini split in a basement?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 7:18:27 AM UTC-5, Jean Luc wrote:
I live in northern area.
2 story house 1200 sq ft on main floor, 800 sq ft on 2nd floor
basement is finished and about 1200 sq ft
House is currently heated with electric baseboard heaters.

We don't need air conditioning and there no problem with the heating.
R20 in all walls.
I run a dehumidifier in the basement - this is not currently a problem.

I want to reduce my energy costs and would like to install a (mini split) heat pump however I want the indoor unit to be in the basement.

Can you install a mini split in a basement?

Thanks.

It should be no problem with a long enough line set. Those are the pipes carrying the refrigerant between the indoor and outdoor units. Mini split AC/heat pumps are great for basements and easy to install. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Split Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2016 7:18 AM, Jean Luc wrote:
I live in northern area.
2 story house 1200 sq ft on main floor, 800 sq ft on 2nd floor
basement is finished and about 1200 sq ft
House is currently heated with electric baseboard heaters.

We don't need air conditioning and there no problem with the heating.
R20 in all walls.
I run a dehumidifier in the basement - this is not currently a problem.

I want to reduce my energy costs and would like to install a (mini split) heat pump however I want the indoor unit to be in the basement.

Can you install a mini split in a basement?

Certainly. It can be installed anywhere you can run the line set.
Standard length, I think, is 15' and most systems will come pre-charged
with enough refrigerant to handle a 25' run without the necessity of
adding refrigerant.

I just installed a 12,000 BTU unit in our family room to replace a thru
wall AC unit. It is amazingly quiet. You'll love it!

FWIW, if you want, you can find mini-split systems that will run
multiple line sets and cool/heat additional rooms off of one condensing
unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 8:18:27 AM UTC-4, Jean Luc wrote:
I live in northern area.
2 story house 1200 sq ft on main floor, 800 sq ft on 2nd floor
basement is finished and about 1200 sq ft
House is currently heated with electric baseboard heaters.

We don't need air conditioning and there no problem with the heating.
R20 in all walls.
I run a dehumidifier in the basement - this is not currently a problem.

I want to reduce my energy costs and would like to install a (mini split) heat pump however I want the indoor unit to be in the basement.

Can you install a mini split in a basement?

Thanks.

Sure, why would you think you might not be able to? IDK what your electric
rates are, but in most cold climates, electric heat for the rest of the house
would be killing you. Probably should look into heat pump or other solutions
for the whole house. You could do it all with mini-splits, but if you do the
whole place, another solution might be better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pump my basement

On 7/27/2016 5:28 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Uncle Monster sucks donkey dorks.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 9:48:27 AM UTC-2:30, Jean Luc wrote:
I live in northern area.
2 story house 1200 sq ft on main floor, 800 sq ft on 2nd floor
basement is finished and about 1200 sq ft
House is currently heated with electric baseboard heaters.

We don't need air conditioning and there no problem with the heating.
R20 in all walls.
I run a dehumidifier in the basement - this is not currently a problem.

I want to reduce my energy costs and would like to install a (mini split) heat pump however I want the indoor unit to be in the basement.

Can you install a mini split in a basement?

Thanks.

Thanks - I appreciate your comments.