Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Home Door Locks

My wife/ I just purchased a" new" (previously owned) house. The
sellers provided us with two copies, of their door entry keys. Indeed,
the sellers seem to be most reputable.

With an unknown, whom else might still have a key copy of our
entrance doors, what do other home buyers recommend - upon initial
possesion? I am curious if a locksmith might offer a Low cost option -
to merely re-key our three door dead locks (leaving the current handle
locks unchanged)?

Suggestiuons - dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/16 3:29 PM, Dave C wrote:
My wife/ I just purchased a" new" (previously owned) house. The
sellers provided us with two copies, of their door entry keys. Indeed,
the sellers seem to be most reputable.

With an unknown, whom else might still have a key copy of our
entrance doors, what do other home buyers recommend - upon initial
possesion? I am curious if a locksmith might offer a Low cost option -
to merely re-key our three door dead locks (leaving the current handle
locks unchanged)?

Suggestiuons - dave

I'd rekey. They should be able to change the keying of the current ones.
How old are the locks? We have some Schlage that you can rekey yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 16:41:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/17/2016 3:29 PM, Dave C wrote:
My wife/ I just purchased a" new" (previously owned) house. The
sellers provided us with two copies, of their door entry keys. Indeed,
the sellers seem to be most reputable.

With an unknown, whom else might still have a key copy of our
entrance doors, what do other home buyers recommend - upon initial
possesion? I am curious if a locksmith might offer a Low cost option -
to merely re-key our three door dead locks (leaving the current handle
locks unchanged)?

Suggestiuons - dave

You just made the biggest purchase of your life. Protect it. Unless
you know the quality of the locks, call a pro. You can have them
re-keyed but the locksmith will also point out any defects in how they
were installed and recommend changes if needed. Maybe $200 to protect
$300,000 is not a bad deal.

For $200, you can buy at least 6 *NEW* locks. (and you only need 3 of
them). Unless they are some very expensive decorative locks, just
replace them. (and you can probably sell the old ones on Craigslist as
long as they still work).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 15:57:36 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

On 7/17/16 3:29 PM, Dave C wrote:
My wife/ I just purchased a" new" (previously owned) house. The
sellers provided us with two copies, of their door entry keys. Indeed,
the sellers seem to be most reputable.

With an unknown, whom else might still have a key copy of our
entrance doors, what do other home buyers recommend - upon initial
possesion? I am curious if a locksmith might offer a Low cost option -
to merely re-key our three door dead locks (leaving the current handle
locks unchanged)?

Suggestiuons - dave

I'd rekey. They should be able to change the keying of the current ones.
How old are the locks? We have some Schlage that you can rekey yourself.

I have NO idea how old; ergo when the current house locks were
installed?? As we have yet to move in, I am now unaware of the lock
manufacturer - ie is it Schlage??

I would like to proceed with your noted option, to rekey myself! An
IDEAL solution would be to have our new house and our summer house
(Schlage locks), use the same entry key !!

I will next search for Schlage; seeking re- key link options.

Thanks - for your helpful suggestions !

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/17/16 3:29 PM, Dave C wrote:
[...]

If you get the Schlage locks, they should have a code on the side. If
you can find enough of them, that is all you need to do because they
will have the same key.If you can't just use the key from the code you
have the most of, to rekey the rest. I actually did that myself and it
was useful when I lost a set of keys and just rekeyed the locks to the
other code.
It is the Schlage do it yourself rekeying system with Secure Key
Technology. We got ours a Menards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

when i moved in, i wondered the same thing

replaced the existing with Smartkey Kwikset locks
[it allows you to easily rekey the locks yourself, in the future,
by just reseting the tumblers, i think]

definitely worth a look

marc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/16 3:29 PM, Dave C wrote:
My wife/ I just purchased a" new" (previously owned) house. The
sellers provided us with two copies, of their door entry keys. Indeed,
the sellers seem to be most reputable.

With an unknown, whom else might still have a key copy of our
entrance doors, what do other home buyers recommend - upon initial
possesion? I am curious if a locksmith might offer a Low cost option -
to merely re-key our three door dead locks (leaving the current handle
locks unchanged)?

Suggestiuons - dave

I had to do some key changing for three doors and just pulled the old
cylinders out of the locks (all were the same model). I took them to a
locksmith store and bought some compatible new ones, all keyed alike,
and installed them myself.

Not as expensive as a locksmith house call, and needed only a screw driver.

--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 17:27:21 -0400, Wade Garrett wrote:

I [...] bought some compatible new ones, all keyed alike,
and installed them myself.

Not as expensive as a locksmith house call, and needed only a screw driver.

Yes. This is easy to do. I took it one step further and swapped & filed
down a few pins in a lock with a different key so that my house key
works also for my garden shed, but this should only be done *within* a
transparent plastic bag. If you are not careful, the little springs have
a way of shooting pins about. I only bothered because I could not find a
2nd pair (they always sell lock kits in pairs) with the same key code.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 3:29:28 PM UTC-4, Dave C wrote:
My wife/ I just purchased a" new" (previously owned) house. The
sellers provided us with two copies, of their door entry keys. Indeed,
the sellers seem to be most reputable.

With an unknown, whom else might still have a key copy of our
entrance doors, what do other home buyers recommend - upon initial
possesion? I am curious if a locksmith might offer a Low cost option -
to merely re-key our three door dead locks (leaving the current handle
locks unchanged)?

Suggestiuons - dave

Definitely re-key at a minimum.

Another option is to replace with electronic locks. My 3 entry doors
are battery operated electronic locks and I have a keypad for my GDO.

All I carry is my key fob and car key. So much easier.

http://www.build.com/kwikset-909/s378246?uid=728038

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 6:04:18 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 3:29:28 PM UTC-4, Dave C wrote:
My wife/ I just purchased a" new" (previously owned) house. The
sellers provided us with two copies, of their door entry keys. Indeed,
the sellers seem to be most reputable.

With an unknown, whom else might still have a key copy of our
entrance doors, what do other home buyers recommend - upon initial
possesion? I am curious if a locksmith might offer a Low cost option -
to merely re-key our three door dead locks (leaving the current handle
locks unchanged)?

Suggestiuons - dave

Definitely re-key at a minimum.

Another option is to replace with electronic locks. My 3 entry doors
are battery operated electronic locks and I have a keypad for my GDO.

All I carry is my key fob and car key. So much easier.

http://www.build.com/kwikset-909/s378246?uid=728038

electronic locks are the best upgrade i ever did around here.... my front door is a touchpad, the other doors are standard deadbots, all using the same key. we use thefront door many times a day, the back and side door get very little use.

the electronic locks are super convenient
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2016 3:29 PM, Dave C wrote:
My wife/ I just purchased a" new" (previously owned) house. The
sellers provided us with two copies, of their door entry keys. Indeed,
the sellers seem to be most reputable.

With an unknown, whom else might still have a key copy of our
entrance doors, what do other home buyers recommend - upon initial
possesion? I am curious if a locksmith might offer a Low cost option -
to merely re-key our three door dead locks (leaving the current handle
locks unchanged)?

Suggestiuons - dave

I'd look in the yellow pages under locks
and locksmiths. Call several. Ask about
service, and prices. Use the one who makes
sense. Most areas have a small town guy
or gal who has done this many times before.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/16 6:33 PM, bob haller wrote:
[...]

Any experience/research/expert evaluation on how secure they are
compared to traditional metal key lock?

--
Make America great again? Hell, I'd be happy if you just made it America
again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 15:33:28 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

electronic locks are the best upgrade i ever did around here.... my
front door is a touchpad, the other doors are standard deadbots, al
l using the same key. we use thefront door many times a day, the b
ack and side door get very little use.

the electronic locks are super convenient

Until the power goes out and you're locked out of the house in a severe
storm....

In my opinion, there are certain things that should NOT be electric.
Locks are at the top of the list!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 3:44:33 PM UTC-7, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

America is great to me, now

life is always full of problems

change is a constant; look at [our] history

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 18:44:28 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

[...]

I have had a mechanical combination lock on my front door for 45 years
(Simplex). It is the dead bolt style and properly installed I think it
is secure as just about any lock. At a certain point they will just
break a window anyway.
My daughter did not have a house key until she went off to college. I
haven't had one for 45 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2016 5:44 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/17/16 6:33 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 6:04:18 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 3:29:28 PM UTC-4, Dave C wrote:

[snip]

electronic locks are the best upgrade i ever did around here....
my front door is a touchpad, the other doors are standard deadbots,
all using the same key. we use thefront door many times a day, the
back and side door get very little use.

the electronic locks are super convenient

Any experience/research/expert evaluation on how secure they are
compared to traditional metal key lock?

All of our doors have both deadbolts (two main entry doors (garage and
back door) have the Schlage Electronics as well as key in knob. Unless
we're on vacation for more than a day or two, the key in knob locks on
those are never locked, just the deadbolts.

As Bob wrote. . . "Super convenient" Both electronics can also be
activated by the regular key. All the house locks are keyed alike.
Once past the door, an intruder would have to contend with the alarm
system as well so it's pretty secure.

Perhaps the nicest thing about them is if we have a repair man coming
and we're not home (and trust them) we can give them a one time code
that they can use to gain access and it clears itself after it's used.
Further, if there's any question that to access code(s) have been
compromised, it takes about 2 minutes with each lock to reprogram the codes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2016 12:29 PM, Dave C wrote:
My wife/ I just purchased a" new" (previously owned) house. The
sellers provided us with two copies, of their door entry keys. Indeed,
the sellers seem to be most reputable.

With an unknown, whom else might still have a key copy of our
entrance doors, what do other home buyers recommend - upon initial
possesion? I am curious if a locksmith might offer a Low cost option -
to merely re-key our three door dead locks (leaving the current handle
locks unchanged)?

Suggestiuons - dave

I bought a Schlage lock rekey kit for $20 about 30 years ago. I have
used it multiple times on 2 homes. Rekeying is quite easy. All you need
is a modified key to match to. I picked up a handful of old schlage keys
at a metal recycling place, so I'm covered forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 12:19:24 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 22:28:35 -0400, wrote:

In my opinion, there are certain things that should NOT be electric.
Locks are at the top of the list!

They are not mains powered. They are battery operated, and they have
a very irritating low battery warning

Ok, I guess that's a little better. But where are the batteries (indoors
or outdoors). I'll assume they are indoors. So what happens if a battery
dies? how do you get in to change the battery? I know you mentioned the
low batt alarm, but what if that alarm sounds while you're in vacation,
and by the time you get home the batt is dead? Or what if the alarm goes
off during the night and you dont have any spare batts on hand. Do you
have to go to a 24 hour Walmart at 4am?

I still dont think I like that design.

For me not to be able to get into my house there would need to be a power
outage to disable the GDO and the batteries on 3 electronic locks would
all have to die at the same time.

Since the batteries on all 3 locks have never been changed at the same time,
I can't imagine that they would all die at the same time and have it happen while
I am away from home for the entire time that the alarms have been sounding.

In addition, think about what the alarm is for. It is to warn you that the batteries
are weak, not dead. The alarm would have to sound for a very long time before
batteries actually died. Keep in mind that if the alarm is sounding while you are on
vacation, you are not using the locks because, well, you are on vacation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2016 9:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Batteries? They use batteries?

You mean I don't need the back-up generator I bought to make sure the dual 20 Amp
circuits that I ran to my front door stay powered up so I can get in during a power
outage?

Man did I waste a lot of Romex!

Don't worry. You can put the AA cells
in the garage, now.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 11:52:43 AM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 07/18/2016 06:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/17/2016 8:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/17/2016 6:59 PM, wrote:

In my opinion, there are certain things that should NOT be electric.
Locks are at the top of the list!

You mean in a storm the batteries won't work? Do flashlights go out too?

Mine always have.

Most electric locks I've seen run on AA cells.

I have two electric locks. One (Weiser) uses 6 AA cells and a motor to
turn the deadbolt. The other (Schlage) uses a 9V battery to operate a
solenoid that allows the deadbolt to be turned by hand.

The second lock (which I use the most) had been showing "low battery"
since before Christmas, and it still works. If it does fail, I have a key.

My 2 Kwikset locks use 4 AA batteries. The (I don't recall the brand) cheaper
lock on my shop door uses 3.

There is definitely a difference in the "smarts" built into these 2 locks.
Here's what I mean:

If the Kwikset is already unlocked and you enter the code to unlock it,
it just beeps and nothing moves. The same is true if it is locked and you
press the lock button. Just a single beep to acknowledge the request.

However, on the shop lock, it tries to honor the request and it sort of
screws itself up. Let's say it is unlocked and I enter the unlock code.
You can hear the motor try to retract the deadbolt. It tries 3 times and
then beeps a long beep. From then on the lock still works i.e. it locks
and unlocks via the keypad, but it sounds clunky, like something is
hanging up.

The fix is to manually operate the deadbolt with the lever. You only have
to cycle it once with the lever and then it returns to its normally smooth
operation. I guess they saved some money by not including position sensors
so that the circuitry knows the position of the deadbolt at all times. Like
I said, other than the clunky noise, the lock still operates fine. I don't
like the noise, so I always toggle the lever when it does that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 05:36:05 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

In my opinion, there are certain things that should NOT be electric.
Locks are at the top of the list!
They are not mains powered. They are battery operated, and they have
a very irritating low battery warning

Ok, I guess that's a little better. But where are the batteries (indoors
or outdoors). I'll assume they are indoors. So what happens if a battery
dies? how do you get in to change the battery? I know you mentioned the
low batt alarm, but what if that alarm sounds while you're in vacation,
and by the time you get home the batt is dead? Or what if the alarm goes
off during the night and you dont have any spare batts on hand. Do you
have to go to a 24 hour Walmart at 4am?

I still dont think I like that design.

You are entitled to your opinion. The battery is accesses from inside
The low battery alarm goes off with quite a bit of battery life still
left and no power is used except to open the lock, so very unlikely to
"go dead" while you are gone, and intelligent people keep spare
batteries on hand for "critical" applications.

"no power is used except to open the lock"

What powers the battery monitoring circuitry and the alarm?

OK - VIRTUALLY no power. Like micro-amps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's better. :-)

Who knows...maybe the Paint Man takes really long vacations. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

electronic locks are the best upgrade i ever did around here.... my
front door is a touchpad, the other doors are standard deadbots, al
l using the same key. we use thefront door many times a day, the b
ack and side door get very little use.

the electronic locks are super convenient

Until the power goes out and you're locked out of the house in a severe
storm....

In my opinion, there are certain things that should NOT be electric.
Locks are at the top of the list!

they are battery operated, here the batteries last well over 2 years, and they also use a standard key, which i have one common to the entire house.

we rarely use anything except the main front door....

the electronic lock is my favorite upgrade of all time....

super convenent and fast
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

electronic locks are the best upgrade i ever did around here.... my
front door is a touchpad, the other doors are standard deadbots, al
l using the same key. we use thefront door many times a day, the b
ack and side door get very little use.

the electronic locks are super convenient

Until the power goes out and you're locked out of the house in a severe
storm....

In my opinion, there are certain things that should NOT be electric.
Locks are at the top of the list!

they are battery operated, here the batteries last well over 2 years, and they also use a standard key, which i have one common to the entire house.

which standard key you never carry, and won't have with you when the
battery fails!