Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sump pits and septic sump pits

I am attempting to replace the lid of my basement septic-sump -
the old lid was apparently a home-made job - made of metal -
and after 25 years or so - a failing rusty rotten mess.
The sump pit is the usual "plastic" 18 inch diam. ~ 2 ft deep
in good shape.
We don't have a basement bathroom, so this sump handles
1. laundry water
2. water softener flush water
3. furnace condensate, in winter
The foundation drainage sump pit is about 10 feet away.
The $ 75. gas-tight lids look OK - but would involve some
plumbing changes to get the holes to line-up. The modern
thinking is to seal these to prevent radon gas infiltration -
but I don't see how the radon gets into the plastic sump pit ?
I could imagine radon leaking around the pit .. between the pit and
the concrete floor - the lid doesn't seal this ...
... just thinking about making my own home-made lid -
plastic barrel bottom or something ?
Any thoughts or advice ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The foundation drain sump pit is where you can expect to find radon, if anywhere. The sealed unit you are talking about shouldn't have any place for radon to infiltrate. I used a duct fan booster and 4 inch dryer exhaust hose connected to the cover of my foundation drain sump, vented outdoors, to get my radon readings down to levels so small they can't be detected by those DIY radon detectors you can buy at hardware stores. The new levels are down from levels that were quite a bit above the government maximum suggested levels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 9:54:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The foundation drain sump pit is where you can expect to find radon, if anywhere. The sealed unit you are talking about shouldn't have any place for radon to infiltrate. I used a duct fan booster and 4 inch dryer exhaust hose connected to the cover of my foundation drain sump, vented outdoors, to get my radon readings down to levels so small they can't be detected by those DIY radon detectors you can buy at hardware stores. The new levels are down from levels that were quite a bit above the government maximum suggested levels.

+1

And he can get one of those radon test kits to find out if radon is even
a problem. What kind of cover to use, can't say, because we can't see
what's involved. They do have covers for the regular sump pump pits, one
of those might fit. But I'd think you'd want it sealed so no gases can
escape. Even with just laundry waste water, that can smell after sitting
there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 9:54:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The foundation drain sump pit is where you can expect to find radon, if anywhere. The sealed unit you are talking about shouldn't have any place for radon to infiltrate.

Aren't the foundation sump pits perforated to allow water to enter?

If water can get in, so can radon.

I think a small air pump pulling air from the pit to the outside is good for getting rid of odor as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 9:26:46 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 9:54:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The foundation drain sump pit is where you can expect to find radon, if anywhere. The sealed unit you are talking about shouldn't have any place for radon to infiltrate.

Aren't the foundation sump pits perforated to allow water to enter?

If water can get in, so can radon.

I think a small air pump pulling air from the pit to the outside is good for getting rid of odor as well.

often homes well above street level have sump pumps......... kinda dumb. far better to drain interior french drain water to daylight. no pump needed. and since radon is heavier than air it can ventilate the radon gas to daylight too, far away from the home.

gravity is highly reliable, and free, and isnt effeced by power outages

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2016 9:34 AM, bob haller wrote:

gravity is highly reliable, and free, and isnt effeced by power outages

Sadly, in liberal dominated parts of the country,
gravity is taxed. It is also subject to rolling
cuts, as the demand for gravity exceeds the supply.
Of course, liberals all protest building of new
gravity plants, preferring to import it from out
of state. Power cuts go hand in hand with gravity
failures, now days. Backup gravity generators are
prohibited, due to mass emissions.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

The foundation drain sump pit is where you can expect to find radon, if anywhere.
The sealed unit you are talking about shouldn't have any place for radon to infiltrate.

Aren't the foundation sump pits perforated to allow water to enter?
If water can get in, so can radon.

In my case and the common standard here-abouts afaik
the outer edge of the foundation footing - through perforated plastic
tile - sometimes wrapped - drains into the basement sump
( plastic "pit" ) ; then is pumped out overground via tthe sump
pump - in my case a submersible model.
I suspect that any radon gas in the soil could easily find its way
into this sump ... maybe I'll get it tested sometime.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 11:30:30 -0400, wrote:

The foundation drain sump pit is where you can expect to find radon, if anywhere.
The sealed unit you are talking about shouldn't have any place for radon to infiltrate.

Aren't the foundation sump pits perforated to allow water to enter?
If water can get in, so can radon.

In my case and the common standard here-abouts afaik
the outer edge of the foundation footing - through perforated plastic
tile - sometimes wrapped - drains into the basement sump
( plastic "pit" ) ; then is pumped out overground via tthe sump
pump - in my case a submersible model.
I suspect that any radon gas in the soil could easily find its way
into this sump ... maybe I'll get it tested sometime.
John T.

Around here sump pumps are only used where the foundation is below
storm-drain level so the drain cannot exit to "daylight"
All 3 homes I have owned have not needed sump pumps. I almost bought
one last year that had one - but it needed to run almost 24/7/365 to
keep the basement from becoming an indoor pool and the sump/drainage
system was so poorly designed I figured it would take $10,000 to
$15,000 to make it right.

Other than the drainage problem it was EXACTLY what I was looking for
- bungalow with double car garage, with basement shop under the garage
- and a pit. - and the price, had it not been for the drainage
problem, was right.

Pith - The Pits!? charlieb Woodturning 7 March 9th 08 12:00 AM
Anodize Pits on 2024 Aluminum [email protected] Metalworking 3 September 9th 07 10:38 AM
Removing grout from pits on porcelain tile [email protected] Home Repair 4 June 9th 07 01:35 AM
Chemical Treatment in Seepage Pits ? Vince Home Repair 6 April 6th 06 08:40 PM
QUOIT PITS J T Woodworking 0 August 23rd 05 12:02 AM