Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sump pits and septic sump pits

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 11:30:30 -0400, wrote:

The foundation drain sump pit is where you can expect to find radon, if anywhere.
The sealed unit you are talking about shouldn't have any place for radon to infiltrate.

Aren't the foundation sump pits perforated to allow water to enter?
If water can get in, so can radon.

In my case and the common standard here-abouts afaik
the outer edge of the foundation footing - through perforated plastic
tile - sometimes wrapped - drains into the basement sump
( plastic "pit" ) ; then is pumped out overground via tthe sump
pump - in my case a submersible model.
I suspect that any radon gas in the soil could easily find its way
into this sump ... maybe I'll get it tested sometime.
John T.

Around here sump pumps are only used where the foundation is below
storm-drain level so the drain cannot exit to "daylight"
All 3 homes I have owned have not needed sump pumps. I almost bought
one last year that had one - but it needed to run almost 24/7/365 to
keep the basement from becoming an indoor pool and the sump/drainage
system was so poorly designed I figured it would take $10,000 to
$15,000 to make it right.

Other than the drainage problem it was EXACTLY what I was looking for
- bungalow with double car garage, with basement shop under the garage
- and a pit. - and the price, had it not been for the drainage
problem, was right.