Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

Default Chemical Treatment in Seepage Pits ?

Is there any need to add chemicals to the seepage pits / drywells ?

What kind of chemicals would be used, if YES ?

Are chemicals used only to supplement a septic tank system ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

"Vince" wrote in message

Is there any need to add chemicals to the seepage pits / drywells ?

What kind of chemicals would be used, if YES ?

Are chemicals used only to supplement a septic tank system ?

Septic tank/ field voo-doo. I say that because all of the makers of such
products make the claims but if you do a search you will read studies from
colleges that state that there's no need for them as long as you aren't
dumping chems and fats down the drain. The other side of the argument is
that most soaps and detergents are now anti-bacterial and will impair proper
bacterial propagation. My answer is to stop using such products for reasons
far more important than the septic tank issues. That's a different thread,
however. I stopped using the additives but I still have a strong desire to
do so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Do you mean like part of a rainwater drainage system. A hole in the ground
filled with drain rock.

No, they do not fill with biodegradable material then redistribute through
leachfield pipes, they just silt up over time and become useless. Nothing
will remove silt from between rocks besides digging it up and washing it
out.

"Vince" wrote in message

Is there any need to add chemicals to the seepage pits / drywells ?

What kind of chemicals would be used, if YES ?

Are chemicals used only to supplement a septic tank system ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"C & E" wrote in message

"Vince" wrote in message

Is there any need to add chemicals to the seepage pits / drywells ?

What kind of chemicals would be used, if YES ?

Are chemicals used only to supplement a septic tank system ?

Septic tank/ field voo-doo. I say that because all of the makers of such
products make the claims but if you do a search you will read studies from
colleges that state that there's no need for them as long as you aren't
dumping chems and fats down the drain. The other side of the argument is
that most soaps and detergents are now anti-bacterial and will impair
proper bacterial propagation. My answer is to stop using such products
for reasons far more important than the septic tank issues. That's a
different thread, however. I stopped using the additives but I still have
a strong desire to do so.

Well, they don't do any harm and can help quite a bit if your system does
need it. Its a good cover your ass policy to use septic tank chemicals even
if you are unsure of the efficacy. When you have it pumped, they can give
you some indication as to if it would help or if it is needed from their
inspection.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

What I am hoping to learn here is whether chemicals are better added
to the septic tank or to the (precast concrete) overflow/seepage pits
?

This is a 3 bedroom residence located in Suffolk county, Long Island,
New York.

Thanks.

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 18:28:45 GMT, Vince
wrote:

Is there any need to add chemicals to the seepage pits / drywells ?

What kind of chemicals would be used, if YES ?

Are chemicals used only to supplement a septic tank system ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

I have read about the college studies results.
I will read the labelling on the detergent carefully now.

We try to avoid dumping fats/grease down the sink drain.

What type of chemicals are your referring to ?

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 17:05:54 -0400, "C & E"
wrote:

"Vince" wrote in message
.. .

Is there any need to add chemicals to the seepage pits / drywells ?

What kind of chemicals would be used, if YES ?

Are chemicals used only to supplement a septic tank system ?

Septic tank/ field voo-doo. I say that because all of the makers of such
products make the claims but if you do a search you will read studies from
colleges that state that there's no need for them as long as you aren't
dumping chems and fats down the drain. The other side of the argument is
that most soaps and detergents are now anti-bacterial and will impair proper
bacterial propagation. My answer is to stop using such products for reasons
far more important than the septic tank issues. That's a different thread,
however. I stopped using the additives but I still have a strong desire to
do so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 01:28:00 GMT, "PipeDown"
wrote:

"C & E" wrote in message
t...

"Vince" wrote in message

Is there any need to add chemicals to the seepage pits / drywells ?

What kind of chemicals would be used, if YES ?

Are chemicals used only to supplement a septic tank system ?

Septic tank/ field voo-doo. I say that because all of the makers of such
products make the claims but if you do a search you will read studies from
colleges that state that there's no need for them as long as you aren't
dumping chems and fats down the drain. The other side of the argument is
that most soaps and detergents are now anti-bacterial and will impair
proper bacterial propagation. My answer is to stop using such products
for reasons far more important than the septic tank issues. That's a
different thread, however. I stopped using the additives but I still have
a strong desire to do so.

C&E: I have read that commercial chemicals are not effective at
all. But the same guy that wrote that recommends use of a 3-month
treatment plan for a chemical poured into the toilet bowl and flushed.

Well, they don't do any harm and can help quite a bit if your system does
need it. Its a good cover your ass policy to use septic tank chemicals even
if you are unsure of the efficacy. When you have it pumped, they can give
you some indication as to if it would help or if it is needed from their
inspection.

PIPEDOWN: When 5 gallons of commercial grade septic tank
chemicals is priced at $35.00 and the guy recommends that 15 gallons
be applied, I would rather not rely on their inspection efforts.

OT - Federalist Cliff Metalworking 272 August 28th 05 12:22 PM
Survey: A Little Feedback For Cliff BottleBob Metalworking 165 May 24th 05 09:32 PM
Carpenter ants treatment [email protected] Home Repair 10 May 18th 05 01:32 PM
OT Why do all terrorists seem to drive Nissans? Don Thompson Metalworking 11 July 15th 03 08:50 AM
Alternate treatment for depression Chris Carlen Electronics Repair 26 July 13th 03 10:39 AM