Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Chemical Treatment in Seepage Pits ?

"C & E" wrote in message

"Vince" wrote in message

Is there any need to add chemicals to the seepage pits / drywells ?

What kind of chemicals would be used, if YES ?

Are chemicals used only to supplement a septic tank system ?

Septic tank/ field voo-doo. I say that because all of the makers of such
products make the claims but if you do a search you will read studies from
colleges that state that there's no need for them as long as you aren't
dumping chems and fats down the drain. The other side of the argument is
that most soaps and detergents are now anti-bacterial and will impair
proper bacterial propagation. My answer is to stop using such products
for reasons far more important than the septic tank issues. That's a
different thread, however. I stopped using the additives but I still have
a strong desire to do so.

Well, they don't do any harm and can help quite a bit if your system does
need it. Its a good cover your ass policy to use septic tank chemicals even
if you are unsure of the efficacy. When you have it pumped, they can give
you some indication as to if it would help or if it is needed from their
inspection.