Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I start my lawnmower with little effort?

My problem: I just had cataract surgery and the doctor said that for the time being I should not life more than 25 pounds or otherwise overly exert myself.

The grass on my lawn is high and needs cutting badly. I have a walk-behind, self-propelled lawnmover that I can push with little effort. But how to start it?

I'm afraid that pulling on the cord that starts the thing could undue the good doctor's work. Can anyone think of a way I can rig up something to start the lawnmower without putting my eyesight in danger?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 7:48:25 PM UTC-4, Terry S. wrote:
My problem: I just had cataract surgery and the doctor said that for the time being I should not life more than 25 pounds or otherwise overly exert myself.

The grass on my lawn is high and needs cutting badly. I have a walk-behind, self-propelled lawnmover that I can push with little effort. But how to start it?

I'm afraid that pulling on the cord that starts the thing could undue the good doctor's work. Can anyone think of a way I can rig up something to start the lawnmower without putting my eyesight in danger?

Hire a teenager
Ask a neighbor
Ask a family member
Ask a passer-by on the street
Tell me where you live and if I'm in the neighborhood, I'll start it for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2016 2:28 PM, Terry S. wrote:
My problem: I just had cataract surgery and the doctor said that for the time being I should not life more than 25 pounds or otherwise overly exert myself.

The grass on my lawn is high and needs cutting badly. I have a walk-behind, self-propelled lawnmover that I can push with little effort. But how to start it?

I'm afraid that pulling on the cord that starts the thing could undue the good doctor's work. Can anyone think of a way I can rig up something to start the lawnmower without putting my eyesight in danger?

Easy as pie. Just say "Honey, it is time for you to mow the lawn again."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 14:28:10 -0700, Terry S. wrote:

My problem: I just had cataract surgery and the doctor said that for the
time being I should not life more than 25 pounds or otherwise overly
exert myself.

I had cataracts removed and replaced with lenses last year and no mention
was ever made about lifting weight.

The grass on my lawn is high and needs cutting badly. I have a
walk-behind, self-propelled lawnmover that I can push with little
effort. But how to start it?

I think you should rather NOT want to mow. If anything to be avoided, it
would be the dust and pollen and crap the mower will kick into the air
that might get in your eye. Hire the neighbor kid.

I rested my eyes for about two days, indoors, and after that was good to
go and do anything. There's drops for the eyes on a schedule that lasts
about 40 days. You're doing that, right?

I didn't have to mow, I was lucky: it was wintertime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 8:51:11 PM UTC-4, Sam Hill wrote:
[...]

Tend to agree with the above. And IDK how hard his mower is to start,
mine sure doesn't take a pull equivalent to lifting 25 pounds.
Simplest thing is probably to pay someone to cut it for awhile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 14:28:10 -0700 (PDT), "Terry S."
wrote:

My problem: I just had cataract surgery and the doctor said that for the time being I should not life more than 25 pounds or otherwise overly exert myself.

The grass on my lawn is high and needs cutting badly. I have a walk-behind, self-propelled lawnmover that I can push with little effort. But how to start it?

I'm afraid that pulling on the cord that starts the thing could undue the good doctor's work. Can anyone think of a way I can rig up something to start the lawnmower without putting my eyesight in danger?

Get a neighbor kid to pull the rope.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My problem: I just had cataract surgery and the doctor said that for the time being
I should not life more than 25 pounds or otherwise overly exert myself.
The grass on my lawn is high and needs cutting badly.
I have a walk-behind, self-propelled lawnmover that I can push with little effort.
But how to start it?
I'm afraid that pulling on the cord that starts the thing could undue the good doctor's work.
Can anyone think of a way I can rig up something to start the lawnmower
without putting my eyesight in danger?

You'll need a couple rubber tarp-tie-things - just find them along
the roadside. Duct tape them to your lawnmower's pull-cord ;
and hook the other end to your garage door - Ta - Da !
electric garage door opener does all the work !
Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2016 5:28 PM, Terry S. wrote:
My problem: I just had cataract surgery and the doctor said that for the time being I should not life more than 25 pounds or otherwise overly exert myself.

The grass on my lawn is high and needs cutting badly. I have a walk-behind, self-propelled lawnmover that I can push with little effort. But how to start it?

I'm afraid that pulling on the cord that starts the thing could undue the good doctor's work. Can anyone think of a way I can rig up something to start the lawnmower without putting my eyesight in danger?

The mowing is as bad as the starting. I'd be hiring the job out for a
while.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry S." wrote:

My problem: I just had cataract surgery and the doctor said that for
the time being I should not life more than 25 pounds or otherwise
overly exert myself.

The grass on my lawn is high and needs cutting badly. I have a
walk-behind, self-propelled lawnmover that I can push with little
effort. But how to start it?

I'm afraid that pulling on the cord that starts the thing could undue
the good doctor's work. Can anyone think of a way I can rig up
something to start the lawnmower without putting my eyesight in
danger?

Grab a local illegal democrat for $15/hour
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 7:48:25 PM UTC-4, Terry S. wrote:
My problem: I just had cataract surgery and the doctor said that for the time being I should not life more than 25 pounds or otherwise overly exert myself.

The grass on my lawn is high and needs cutting badly. I have a walk-behind, self-propelled lawnmover that I can push with little effort. But how to start it?

I'm afraid that pulling on the cord that starts the thing could undue the good doctor's work. Can anyone think of a way I can rig up something to start the lawnmower without putting my eyesight in danger?

Buy a goat forget to feed it and the milk should help your eye

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't have a wife, an electric garage door closer, nearby neighbors, or local teenagers, but thanks for the suggestions. Guess I'll just have to watch the grass grow for awhile.