Posted to alt.home.repair

Default While on the subject of lawn sprinkler systems...

Not that I'm really thinking of redesigning our sprinkler system, but
out of curiosity I picked up RainBird's questionnaire/layout sheets to
send in for them to design an appropriate system, and one thing struck
me as very odd:

One is supposed to measure both the water pressure and the rate of water
flow from a spigot, e.g., time how long it takes to fill a 5-gallon
bucket. BUT is ours the only house where the existing sprinkler system
is fed from a 1-1/2-in PVC pipe run from immediately after the meter,
whereas the outside spigots are fed through 1/2-in. pipe beyond the
pressure regulator?

What useful information would the pressure and flow rate measured at one
of our spigots provide?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not that I'm really thinking of redesigning our sprinkler system, but out of
curiosity I picked up RainBird's questionnaire/layout sheets to send in for
them to design an appropriate system, and one thing struck me as very odd:

One is supposed to measure both the water pressure and the rate of water flow
from a spigot, e.g., time how long it takes to fill a 5-gallon bucket. BUT is
ours the only house where the existing sprinkler system is fed from a 1-1/2-in
PVC pipe run from immediately after the meter, whereas the outside spigots are
fed through 1/2-in. pipe beyond the pressure regulator?

What useful information would the pressure and flow rate measured at one of our
spigots provide?

Here, most homes feed their irrigation system off of the household water
supply -- a 3/4" line from the meter to the house then, typically, 1/2"
pipe feeding the hose bibbs on the periphery of the house.

We run the 3/4" copper water line through a stop, then the master valve and
antisiphone device into a PRV (*just* for the irrigation system -- the house
has a separate PRV and stop), through a fine mesh/high volume filter into a
1" PVC that feeds the 19 valves + PRV's for each of the 19 zones (4 of these
are actually valve-controlled hose bibbs).

[The PVC feeds the irrigation system in two directions (i.e., completely
encircles the house) so the "far loads" don't suffer from drops in the
~250 ft run]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2016 1:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
Here, most homes feed their irrigation system off of the household water
supply -- a 3/4" line from the meter to the house then, typically, 1/2"
pipe feeding the hose bibbs on the periphery of the house.

N.B. Most homes, here, don't have big irrigation loads and rely on
*drip* irrigation -- much lower overall flow rates than "lawn sprinklers"
that throw lots of water into the air (40% of which evaporates).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 3:58:17 PM UTC-4, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Not that I'm really thinking of redesigning our sprinkler system, but
out of curiosity I picked up RainBird's questionnaire/layout sheets to
send in for them to design an appropriate system, and one thing struck
me as very odd:

One is supposed to measure both the water pressure and the rate of water
flow from a spigot, e.g., time how long it takes to fill a 5-gallon
bucket. BUT is ours the only house where the existing sprinkler system
is fed from a 1-1/2-in PVC pipe run from immediately after the meter,
whereas the outside spigots are fed through 1/2-in. pipe beyond the
pressure regulator?

What useful information would the pressure and flow rate measured at one
of our spigots provide?

Perce

Must be one hell of a system to use 1 1/2 inch pipe. The incoming
supply for my house is only 1" poly. For residential sprinklers they
use 3/4" poly. Friend had a well put in for irrigation, 1" poly from
the pump to the tank.

Agree with your observation about the spigot rate not supplying the
right info. But it's all that people have that's easy and quick.
They probably assume it's coming from a 1/2" supply line and use it
as a minimum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/23/2016 1:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
Here, most homes feed their irrigation system off of the household water
supply -- a 3/4" line from the meter to the house then, typically, 1/2"
pipe feeding the hose bibbs on the periphery of the house.

N.B. Most homes, here, don't have big irrigation loads and rely on

Where i[Las Vegas, Nevada, or was that Pilkington, Kansas. I can never remember. Might have been New Orleans LA.]s here?

*drip* irrigation -- much lower overall flow rates than "lawn sprinklers"
that throw lots of water into the air (40% of which evaporates).

Center posted, as your comment was.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/23/2016 07:06 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[...]

The 1-1/2-in. pipe is just as far as the manifold -- 3/4" poly from the
various zone valves on.

Agree with your observation about the spigot rate not supplying the
right info. But it's all that people have that's easy and quick.
They probably assume it's coming from a 1/2" supply line and use it
as a minimum.

Domestic sprinkler systems [email protected] UK diy 43 March 29th 16 07:56 PM
Lawn Sprinkler Meanie Home Repair 23 July 9th 12 11:21 PM
Lawn Sprinkler System? HerHusband Home Repair 19 September 5th 11 12:08 AM
Lawn sprinkler system? ? ? Ray Home Repair 10 July 8th 11 05:28 PM
pricing sprinkler systems merc Home Ownership 0 July 12th 05 11:47 PM