Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waterproofing vinyl tile?

I stupidly let someone lay a new bathroom and kitchen floor in a rental
double-wide. Original floor was terrible, old broken tile, etc. So he laid
1/4" plywood on the old floor and new square thin vinyl self-adhesive tiles
on that. Looked fine and wore well for a few weeks. Until a kitchen sink
drain let loose and dumped a bunch of water on it. Plywood warped and needs
repairing.

What can I paint this floor with to waterproof it so water won't go between
the tiles and soak the plywood? Haven't found anything yet with Google. I
suppose floor wax might work but I'm afraid it will wear off all too soon
unless frequently reapplied.

Ideas?

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 2:10:04 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I stupidly let someone lay a new bathroom and kitchen floor in a rental
double-wide. Original floor was terrible, old broken tile, etc. So he laid
1/4" plywood on the old floor and new square thin vinyl self-adhesive tiles
on that. Looked fine and wore well for a few weeks. Until a kitchen sink
drain let loose and dumped a bunch of water on it. Plywood warped and needs
repairing.

What can I paint this floor with to waterproof it so water won't go between
the tiles and soak the plywood? Haven't found anything yet with Google. I
suppose floor wax might work but I'm afraid it will wear off all too soon
unless frequently reapplied.

Ideas?

I think they call that sheet vinyl, instead of tiles. With tiles, I don't
see how you'd ever waterproof it. I guess there might be some miracle
coating you could apply over the whole thing, but I would think even that
would be temporary at best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/2016 3:38 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Tiles are waterproof but problem is water seeping around them.
Sub-floor is the problem. I don't know what should be used as floor but
had experience with my stall shower going to pot where the builder had
put tiles over regular dry wall instead of the cement or waterproof
board that should have been used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote in
:

I stupidly let someone lay a new bathroom and kitchen floor in a
rental double-wide. Original floor was terrible, old broken tile, etc.
So he laid 1/4" plywood on the old floor and new square thin vinyl
self-adhesive tiles on that. Looked fine and wore well for a few
weeks. Until a kitchen sink drain let loose and dumped a bunch of
water on it. Plywood warped and needs repairing.

What can I paint this floor with to waterproof it so water won't go
between the tiles and soak the plywood? Haven't found anything yet
with Google. I suppose floor wax might work but I'm afraid it will
wear off all too soon unless frequently reapplied.

Ideas?

TIA.

Since I posted this I read about using groat between the tiles and caulk
along the walls and other floor edges. Anyone tried this successfully?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 9:58:06 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
KenK wrote in
:

[...]

Sounds nuts to me. For one thing, vinyl tiles are somewhat flexible and
I would think that as people walk on them grout that is placed in between
would crack and probably fall out before too long. It doesn't have thin set
underneath to adhere to, IDK how much it will adhere to the edges of
the vinyl tiles. Even if it didn't deteriorate and come out,
I doubt it would keep water out for long. I think you have to ask yourself
if you aren't creating a bigger problem while attempting to fix a problem
that should rarely happen. There are a lot of floors with vinyl tiles in
kitchens, utility rooms, etc. I have them in my laundry room. There are
also many kitchens with wood floors too. They all live with the small
risk of a water leak damaging the floors. If you want something more
resistant, then go with ceramic tiles. But I would think even those, if
there is enough water on the floor for long enough, it could get under
them and do the damage anyway.

Another factor may be the sub floor, the type of plywood used, how it was
nailed, etc. A lot of floors get wet without warping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
KenK wrote in
:

I stupidly let someone lay a new bathroom and kitchen floor in a
rental double-wide. Original floor was terrible, old broken tile,
etc. So he laid 1/4" plywood on the old floor and new square thin
vinyl self-adhesive tiles on that. Looked fine and wore well for a
few weeks. Until a kitchen sink drain let loose and dumped a bunch of
water on it. Plywood warped and needs repairing.

What can I paint this floor with to waterproof it so water won't go
between the tiles and soak the plywood? Haven't found anything yet
with Google. I suppose floor wax might work but I'm afraid it will
wear off all too soon unless frequently reapplied.

Ideas?

TIA.

Since I posted this I read about using groat between the tiles and
caulk along the walls and other floor edges. Anyone tried this
successfully?

If the joints between the vinyl tiles are wide enough for grout, the tiles
aren't laid propely. If they are wide enough, rigid, cementatious grout
isn't going to work even if the tiles were several times thicker than they
are.

An acrylic caulk could work and a reasonably neat job could be done since
excess caulk can be remove (before it hardens) with water; however, it will
soon get dirty and look like hell. Silicone caulk wouldn't get dirty but
applying it would make a mess.

Best advice (IMO): remove the tiles and put down sheet vinyl. Have it
professionally done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
If the joints between the vinyl tiles are wide enough for grout, the tiles
aren't laid propely. If they are wide enough, rigid, cementatious grout
isn't going to work even if the tiles were several times thicker than they
are.

An acrylic caulk could work and a reasonably neat job could be done since
excess caulk can be remove (before it hardens) with water; however, it will
soon get dirty and look like hell. Silicone caulk wouldn't get dirty but
applying it would make a mess.

Best advice (IMO): remove the tiles and put down sheet vinyl. Have it
professionally done.

yeah, waste of money for a small space to try to
patch a rotten job. just get it out of there and
put the right stuff in (be it tile or whatever else
that can withstand water).

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

pull up ALL of the layers down to the sub floor, install concrete board, cement all seams and tile.

do job right and you only need to do it once.

ideally use ceramic tile, it will last a lifetime, and not stain around toilets

Waterproofing concrete tile roof with Elastomeric paint miamicuse Home Repair 13 September 17th 10 06:22 PM
Tile over vinyl shel Home Repair 6 July 8th 06 01:46 PM
Vinyl tile over vinyl tile Platebanger Home Repair 4 November 26th 05 07:01 PM
Vinyl tile over sheet vinyl residue? Donald Gares Home Repair 1 July 5th 05 05:50 PM
Vinyl Tile Mess Dawn Home Repair 2 June 30th 03 05:14 AM