Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whining in my pipes

Got a whining in my pipes that only stops when I flush the toilet (any
of them) and starts back up when the tank is filled. One stopped for
awhile when I tapped the float. Google says to change out the innards of
the toilet. I would prefer not to. Does anyone know if just maybe
adjusting the float to get a little more or less water might stop it?
It goes away when I flush any toilet and I just adjusted the float
on the one nearest to my computer when I Googled it. Is this likely to
be one causing the problems even though it stops when I flush ANY toilet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Got a whining in my pipes that only stops when I flush the toilet (any
of them) and starts back up when the tank is filled. One stopped for
awhile when I tapped the float. Google says to change out the innards
of the toilet. I would prefer not to. Does anyone know if just maybe
adjusting the float to get a little more or less water might stop it?
It goes away when I flush any toilet and I just adjusted the
float on the one nearest to my computer when I Googled it. Is this
likely to be one causing the problems even though it stops when I
flush ANY toilet.

On one of them, the water isn't shutting off. Might be the float's fault in
which case bend it down; might be the stopper valve in which case I'd
replace it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 5:23:18 PM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Got a whining in my pipes that only stops when I flush the toilet (any
of them) and starts back up when the tank is filled. One stopped for
awhile when I tapped the float. Google says to change out the innards of
the toilet. I would prefer not to.

Google said that? Google? I was not aware that Google is a plumbing service.

Does anyone know if just maybe
adjusting the float to get a little more or less water might stop it?

It goes away when I flush any toilet and I just adjusted the float
on the one nearest to my computer when I Googled it. Is this likely to
be one causing the problems even though it stops when I flush ANY toilet.

The flushing of any toilet changes the pressure in your plumbing system, lowering
It at every fixture. That could certainly stop the whining until the system is back
up to full pressure.

I suggest that you wait until you hear the whining and then turn off to fill valve to
each toilet one at a time until the whining starts. Since you are not changing the
pressure like you are when you flush, you should be able to isolate the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2016 2:23 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Got a whining in my pipes that only stops when I flush the toilet (any of them)
and starts back up when the tank is filled. One stopped for awhile when I
tapped the float. Google says to change out the innards of the toilet. I would
prefer not to. Does anyone know if just maybe adjusting the float to get a
little more or less water might stop it?
It goes away when I flush any toilet and I just adjusted the float on the
one nearest to my computer when I Googled it. Is this likely to be one causing
the problems even though it stops when I flush ANY toilet.

While it is "whining", turn off one toilet at a time (using the stop
beneath the tank). See which one causes the sound to cease.

Then, examine the float valve in that tank (some can be disassembled
and cleaned; even a tiny bit of sand can leave it partially open;
enough to vibrate as the water squeezes past, under pressure)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 8:27:06 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I meant "turn off to fill valve to each toilet one at a time until the whining
stops"

Sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Y" wrote in message
[...]

How many "stops" beneath the tanks work after being unused for so long?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/16 7:15 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Got a whining in my pipes that only stops when I flush the toilet (any
of them) and starts back up when the tank is filled. One stopped for
awhile when I tapped the float. Google says to change out the innards
of the toilet. I would prefer not to. Does anyone know if just maybe
adjusting the float to get a little more or less water might stop it?
It goes away when I flush any toilet and I just adjusted the
float on the one nearest to my computer when I Googled it. Is this
likely to be one causing the problems even though it stops when I
flush ANY toilet.

On one of them, the water isn't shutting off. Might be the float's fault in
which case bend it down; might be the stopper valve in which case I'd
replace it.

Thanks to all that replied. Since the noise was worse in my office,
on a lark I wanted to see what happened with the spigots. Found that the
hose outside my office was still on full and the sprayer was not
triggered so it wasn't spraying. Apparently that was enough pressure to
set it off. Turned it off and the noise went away. Probably still
indicative of something getting ready to get weird, but I can live with
the noise if it is only when my wife is watering the plants out front.
Thanks again to all for the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 10:16:11 PM UTC-4, Reggie wrote:
"Don Y" wrote in message
[...]

I exercise all my stops at least once a year to make sure they keep working.
I don't want to have to shut off the whole house if I need to repair 1 fixture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2016 7:14 PM, Reggie wrote:
"Don Y" wrote in message
[...]

All of ours (3 sinks, 3 toilets) are in perfect working order.

If yours *aren't*, rue the day a flexline fails, etc.!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 19:15:29 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Got a whining in my pipes that only stops when I flush the toilet (any
of them) and starts back up when the tank is filled. One stopped for
awhile when I tapped the float. Google says to change out the innards
of the toilet. I would prefer not to. Does anyone know if just maybe
adjusting the float to get a little more or less water might stop it?
It goes away when I flush any toilet and I just adjusted the
float on the one nearest to my computer when I Googled it. Is this
likely to be one causing the problems even though it stops when I
flush ANY toilet.

On one of them, the water isn't shutting off. Might be the float's fault in
which case bend it down; might be the stopper valve in which case I'd
replace it.

If the float adjustment is bad water will be too high in the tank and
running down the overflow in the middle. If the level is right and it
is still using water, the flapper is not seating right. Both are huge
water wasters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Y" wrote in message
[...]

install ball valves they last seemingly forever

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Y" wrote in message
[...]

I like the gray plastic angle stops. My nasty well water does not hurt
them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2016 9:25 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 12:10:26 AM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
On 6/1/2016 7:14 PM, Reggie wrote:

How many "stops" beneath the tanks work after being unused for so long?

All of ours (3 sinks, 3 toilets) are in perfect working order.

If yours *aren't*, rue the day a flexline fails, etc.!

install ball valves they last seemingly forever

Yup. I did that when we moved in, years ago. Quarter turn off/on.

Unfortunately, the "handles" on the stops are very small (poor
choice of mine, at the time). So, I've made "adapters" that
slips over them (as they are all identical, one adapter design
suffices for all!) to give you something more substantial to
hold onto (when you're crouched down trying to access the
damn things!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whining in my pipes (Now: Google)

On 6/1/2016 8:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 5:23:18 PM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Got a whining in my pipes that only stops when I flush the toilet (any
of them) and starts back up when the tank is filled. One stopped for
awhile when I tapped the float. Google says to change out the innards of
the toilet. I would prefer not to.

Google said that? Google? I was not aware that Google is a plumbing service.

Yep, Google also does babysitting, provides recipes,
gathers up archaic information like what is a fire
plow, and has been known to settle legal cases.
Google is the end all to all the world's problems.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Got a whining in my pipes that only stops when I flush the toilet (any
of them) and starts back up when the tank is filled. One stopped for
awhile when I tapped the float. Google says to change out the innards of
the toilet. I would prefer not to. Does anyone know if just maybe
adjusting the float to get a little more or less water might stop it?
It goes away when I flush any toilet and I just adjusted the float
on the one nearest to my computer when I Googled it. Is this likely to
be one causing the problems even though it stops when I flush ANY toilet.

I have seen something similar with a water pressure regulator.
Increasing the pressure slightly made the noise stop. Something to
consider.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2016 8:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The flushing of any toilet changes the pressure in your plumbing system, lowering
It at every fixture. That could certainly stop the whining until the system is back
up to full pressure.

I suggest that you wait until you hear the whining and then turn off to fill valve to
each toilet one at a time until the whining starts. Since you are not changing the
pressure like you are when you flush, you should be able to isolate the problem.

Is it possible that closing one of the shut offs
one at a time will help diagnose. One or two shut
offs closed will make no change, and then closing
other shut off will cause the whining to stop?
That would help isolate the bad valve. Maybe the
OP will get the whining valve first.

Then, in true man form he can say "Stop your
whining. I shut you off."

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2016 9:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"turn off to fill valve to each toilet one at a time until the whining
starts"

I meant "turn off to fill valve to each toilet one at a time until the whining
stops"

Sorry.

The second version makes more sense.

Might be a good common sense diagnostic test.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2016 11:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 10:16:11 PM UTC-4, Reggie wrote:

How many "stops" beneath the tanks work after being unused for so long?

I exercise all my stops at least once a year to make sure they keep working.
I don't want to have to shut off the whole house if I need to repair 1 fixture.

Few people have such discipline, and attention
to detail. Which makes a lot of money for
plumbers. Just not YOUR money, eh?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whining in my pipes (followup)

On 6/1/2016 10:23 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Thanks to all that replied. Since the noise was worse in my office, on
a lark I wanted to see what happened with the spigots. Found that the
hose outside my office was still on full and the sprayer was not
triggered so it wasn't spraying. Apparently that was enough pressure to
set it off. Turned it off and the noise went away. Probably still
indicative of something getting ready to get weird, but I can live with
the noise if it is only when my wife is watering the plants out front.
Thanks again to all for the help.

Well, there goes a good usenet thread all to hell.

Anyhow, thanks for checking back. Follow up is
rare now days. Rare that anyone takes the time to
share what works, and what really happened.

Technical note to Gordon Shumway and Derby Dad.
This is the same thread, so in your ear if the
offends you. Sit on it, Potsie.

--
..
Christopher A. Young