Posted to alt.home.repair

Default your experience with referral services

I've debated whether to sign up with Angie's
List and/or Home Advisor as a contractor, but
have no idea whether it would be useful. I'm
curious to hear about anyone's experience,
as a contractor or as a customer, with any
such service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2016 5:47 PM, Mayayana wrote:
I've debated whether to sign up with Angie's
List and/or Home Advisor as a contractor, but
have no idea whether it would be useful. I'm
curious to hear about anyone's experience,
as a contractor or as a customer, with any
such service.

Not a contractor but I subscribed to Angie's list earlier this year and
found its a real PITA on the user end. It spams you two or three times a
day. I am seriously considering adding it to the bozo bin.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 May 2016 17:47:24 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I've debated whether to sign up with Angie's
List and/or Home Advisor as a contractor, but
have no idea whether it would be useful. I'm
curious to hear about anyone's experience,
as a contractor or as a customer, with any
such service.

Heck with those web sites. Get a reference by word of mouth of your
neighbors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2016 5:47 PM, Mayayana wrote:
I've debated whether to sign up with Angie's
List and/or Home Advisor as a contractor, but
have no idea whether it would be useful. I'm
curious to hear about anyone's experience,
as a contractor or as a customer, with any
such service.

It can pay to advertise and I guess you need make decision as to what
you get in return for your advertising dollar.

My brief look at Home Advisor a couple of months ago did not list any of
the roofers I knew that had good reputations and did a lot of work in my
area. When I looked at Angie's list many years ago most of the
contractors were far removed from the area. I would not use either to
find a contractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2016 5:47 PM, Mayayana wrote:
I've debated whether to sign up with Angie's
List and/or Home Advisor as a contractor, but
have no idea whether it would be useful. I'm
curious to hear about anyone's experience,
as a contractor or as a customer, with any
such service.

Back around the turn of the century, I asked the local building inspector for the name of a reputable roofer. While he wouldn't/couldn't answer,
a day or two later I had a roofers business card stuffed in my door. Roof company did an excellent job, no leaks yet.

And once you find one honest contractor, ask them for referrals for other building trades. These guys often know each other and know who the
jackleg crooks are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2016 5:01 PM, John wrote:
On 5/10/2016 5:47 PM, Mayayana wrote:
I've debated whether to sign up with Angie's
List and/or Home Advisor as a contractor, but
have no idea whether it would be useful. I'm
curious to hear about anyone's experience,
as a contractor or as a customer, with any
such service.

Not a contractor but I subscribed to Angie's list earlier this year and
found its a real PITA on the user end. It spams you two or three times a
day. I am seriously considering adding it to the bozo bin.

+1

If you look something up they wait a week or so and then start dunning
you for a reference on the business or any allied business you may have
chosen instead.

From what I've seen on their site, the listing/reference for most seems
pretty vanilla. Waste of money. Glad I got a super deal on it through
Groupon and paid only nickels on the dollar. I won't be renewing at the
end of 3 years or whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've debated whether to sign up with Angie's
List and/or Home Advisor as a contractor, but
have no idea whether it would be useful. I'm
curious to hear about anyone's experience,
as a contractor or as a customer, with any
such service.

I used Service Magic (now Home advisor) a few times.
For furnace repair, window repair, and roofing.
I was satisfied, but there are pluses and minuses for contractors.
The roofer actually wasn't currently signed up with them but they
were still pestering him. Don't remember the exact details.
As I recall the contractors were putting out 20 to100 bucks for the
referrals, depending on the work requested.
They weren't too happy when they lost a bid.
I actually asked some of the losing bidders how they felt about using
the service. Most were just resigned to it as a cost of doing
business, so the roofer was an exception.
Keep in mind you have to be fast coming out to bid.
Each time I used the service the phone started ringing immediately, as
the guys got texted on their cells.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 May 2016 18:01:22 -0400, John wrote:

On 5/10/2016 5:47 PM, Mayayana wrote:
I've debated whether to sign up with Angie's
List and/or Home Advisor as a contractor, but
have no idea whether it would be useful. I'm
curious to hear about anyone's experience,
as a contractor or as a customer, with any
such service.

Not a contractor but I subscribed to Angie's list earlier this year and
found its a real PITA on the user end. It spams you two or three times a
day. I am seriously considering adding it to the bozo bin.

John

A lot like advertising in the local bargainhunter rag. You get all
the "customers" looking for a deal -and the ones NOBODY can satisfy.
Unlike the bargainhunter rags, they'll badmouth you across the
country.

Admitedly, they are not ALL that kind of customer - but do you need
ANY of them???

You might get 20 real happy customers and one of the "others" - - and
you are done like dinner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've debated whether to sign up with Angie's
List and/or Home Advisor as a contractor, but
have no idea whether it would be useful. I'm
curious to hear about anyone's experience,
as a contractor or as a customer, with any
such service.

snip

Catch 22

How do you choose a good referral service?

I generally hire contractors via "word of mouth".

Which contractors do people I know have good experience with?

Most of the time I go with a company that is right in my own neighborhood.