Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Please explain this Metric thread size

The threads on a MIG Welder tip are listed as:

M5 x .8 thd

I always have problems understanding metrics.

I know that a 1/4 x 20 bolt means 1/4 inch diameter, 20 threads per
inch. That's so easy.

Then they shove metrics into our lives and all hell breaks loose...

I'm going to take a guess,

The "M" means METRIC

The "5" means 5 milimeter (mm)

The ".8" I dont understand at all. It's surely not .8 threads per inch,
or that would mean less than one thread per inch.

I'm sure the "thd" means THREAD

I googled this and 5mm is 0.197 inch, which needs a 4.20mm drill size.
(NOT what I was looking for)!

Damn, I hate metrics . . . . . . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2016 09:27 PM, wrote:
Damn, I hate metrics . . . . . . . .

Damn, I hate British Standard Whitworth...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 May 2016 01:34:10 -0400, wrote:

I know that a 1/4 x 20 bolt means 1/4 inch diameter, 20 threads per
inch. That's so easy.

Then they shove metrics into our lives and all hell breaks loose...

I'm going to take a guess,

The "M" means METRIC

The "5" means 5 milimeter (mm)

The ".8" I dont understand at all. It's surely not .8 threads per inch,
or that would mean less than one thread per inch.

I'm sure the "thd" means THREAD

I googled this and 5mm is 0.197 inch, which needs a 4.20mm drill size.
(NOT what I was looking for)!

Damn, I hate metrics . . . . . . . .

It is easier than you think The thread pitch is .8mm

The rest of the world would ask WTF is an inch?

Yep, but us old guys never were taught metrics. I learned inch, foot,
yard and so on....

But you did help me usnderstand this, AFTER I looked up what "Thread
Pitch" means. I found this:

"Metric fasteners are specified with a thread pitch instead of a thread
count. The thread pitch is the distance between threads expressed in
millimeters (measured along the length of the fastener). For example a
thread pitch of 1.5 means that the distance between one thread and the
next is 1.5mm".

NOW this makes sense !!!!

Thanks!

What I hate the most about metrics are those damn metric wrenches in my
toolbox. Most of my work is on farm machinery, and that is all SAE bolts
and nuts. My eyes are not good enough to read the small numbers on
wrenches anymore. But I can identify a 7/16" 1/2" 9/16" wrench by just
looking at it. So I reach in my toolbox and pull out my 1/2" wrench, and
the ****er wont fit. Why, because it's a goddamn metric...... ARRRRR
(Of course I wont know that until I find my reading glasses to actually
reads the metric numbers on it.....

But I got to have both SAE and METRIC because my Chevy truck uses both
types of bolts..... A REAL ****ER !!!!

Things were so much easier before metrics came into use in this country!
Not to mention my toolbox was much lighter without having a duplicate
set of tools, in SAE and METRIC.

But it could be worse, I guess....
At least I learned what a hammer is, when I was about 5 years old.
Ask any 20 year old these days what a hammer is. After looking at you
really dumb, they say "It's a Rap Musician..... MC Hammer".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 1:13:35 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

You're a bit off on the age of The MC Hammer fans. "U Can't Touch This" the hit song and video he's best known for came out in 1990. It still makes me LMAO. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

My dad owned a 1949 Ferguson tractor. It was a basic universal little gray tractor and would do just about anything you asked the old critter to do. The utter(pun intended) simplicity of the tractor made it easy to maintain. It had an updraft carburetor and would run on anything that was as volatile as gasoline. I think the moonshiner down the valley had one that he ran on his homemade fuel. We rebuilt the old tractor's engine back in 1970 and it was a most interesting project. The engine block was part of the frame. The diameter of the threaded part of the spark plugs was the largest I've ever seen. I could remove a spark plug and stick my finger through the hole in the cylinder head. The block had sleeves that we replaced and the darn pistons had 4 rings. I've never seen something like that then or since then. It was a fun job to remove the engine from the tractor, rebuild and reinstall it. I just remembered, we took the generator off and installed a Chrysler alternator thus converting the tractor to 12 volts. ^_^

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...0_tractor).jpg

http://tinyurl.com/z28zcpa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELQgEa_JXJQ

[8~{} Uncle Tractor Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2016 4:18 AM, Jack Hammer wrote:

I think the real problem is that US manufacturing doesn't know whether
to **** or get off the toilet.

I had to get used to metric about 25 years ago when I changed jobs.
IMO, it is easier to use once you use it. The rest of world is trading
amongst itself and the US is sometimes left out because we are different.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 May 2016 07:08:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/10/2016 4:18 AM, Jack Hammer wrote:

I think the real problem is that US manufacturing doesn't know whether
to **** or get off the toilet.

I had to get used to metric about 25 years ago when I changed jobs.
IMO, it is easier to use once you use it. The rest of world is trading
amongst itself and the US is sometimes left out because we are different.

What puzzles me....

What do you call 2x4 in metric?

How big is a 4' x 8' sheet of metric plywood or drywall?

Isnt is easier to say "2 inch nail" rather than say "50.8 millimeter
nail"?

Are foreign women more impressed by a man with a 152.4 millimeter penis
than are US women comparing a man with a 6 inch penis?

How the hell do you refer to the pitch of a roof in metric?

How do you say "I wouldn't touch that woman with a ten foot pole" in
metric?

Since the foot measurement was devised by the length of the average
human foot. Were people born outside the USA born without feet?

What do you call an inchworm in Europe?

If the posted speed limit sign reads 30 in the US and a cop pulls you
over for doing 50, will a judge excuse you if you tell him that 30
kilometers per hour is 48.3, so you were driving 1.7 BELOW the limit.

What sounds better?
I'd walk a mile for a Camel, or I'd walk 1609.344 meters for a Camel.

Since they dont have yardsticks in the UK, do they have yards
surrounding their houses?

Does a metric phillips screwdriver have FIVE points on the tip, rather
than four?

If a foreigner blows 50 pounds (money) on beer at the bar, do they tell
their friends they lost 50 pounds?
If so, what the heck do they say when they actually lose 50 pounds of
body weight from dieting?

Why didn't they make a 13mm socket the exact same size as a 1/2 inch
socket?

Is a Football called a 30.48 centimeter ball in Europe?

In America you pINCH someone, in the UK, you P2.54centimeter them.

If an American woman's ideal figure is 36-24-36. What the heck do you
say in a metric using country?
91.44 - 60.96 - 91.44 really dont sound very sexy!!!! (Unless she's
Bigfoot).
Uh Oh.....
The word "BIGFOOT" cant be used in a metric country, it would be
"BIG30.48Centimeter".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Jack Hammer:
FWIW, 4.2mm is a lot easier to find in a metric drill index than having to hunt thru fractional drills, number drills and letter drills.

I think the real problem is that US manufacturing doesn't know whether to **** or get off the toilet.

I don't do a lot with tools but when I do I am starting to get
frustrated with products that still have SAE nut/bolt/thread sizes.

They say "Old people don't like change"....but I'm older than dirt and
this is one change I wish they'd get on with.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 May 2016 09:19:00 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I don't do a lot with tools but when I do I am starting to get
frustrated with products that still have SAE nut/bolt/thread sizes.

Then you have the hybrid things. I have some bolts with 1/4-20 threads
and 10mm heads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/10/2016 02:18 AM, Jack Hammer wrote:
FWIW, 4.2mm is a lot easier to find in a metric drill index than having
to hunt thru fractional drills, number drills and letter drills.

I think the real problem is that US manufacturing doesn't know whether
to **** or get off the toilet.

With my '86 F150 they did a little of both. At least with my Jap bikes
and car I know it's going to be metric. With the Ford and Harley you
just never know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

....there's a signpost up ahead...you've just entered the Moron Zone...population, micky and Mormon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 8:24:27 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2016 07:08:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/10/2016 4:18 AM, Jack Hammer wrote:

I think the real problem is that US manufacturing doesn't know whether
to **** or get off the toilet.

I had to get used to metric about 25 years ago when I changed jobs.
IMO, it is easier to use once you use it. The rest of world is trading
amongst itself and the US is sometimes left out because we are different.

What puzzles me....

What do you call 2x4 in metric?

How big is a 4' x 8' sheet of metric plywood or drywall?

Isnt is easier to say "2 inch nail" rather than say "50.8 millimeter
nail"?

No easier than saying 1.97 inches. Which is what the nail would be
if it were 50 mm long. The issue is that the nail was created with
the English system in mind. Had they created it as a metric nail,
then it would have been 50 mm and would be called a 5 centimeter
nail. Notice how easy it was to go from millimeters to centimeters,
you just move the decimal point. Can you do that when going from
sixteenth's of an inch to a foot, yard, or mile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/10/2016 03:41 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[My ISP won't let me quote the relevant part of your original message:
"line too long"]

That Ferguson tractor ran only on gasoline? My father's (in UK) started
on gasoline, but then he changed over to kerosene (called "TVO" over
there -- "Tractor Vaporizing Oil") once the engine had warmed up. He
later replaced the original engine by a Perkins 3-cylinder diesel; I
never thought to ask why -- maybe some of the local young intelligentsia
put sand in the oil filler hole of the original one.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 12:34:06 PM UTC-5, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 05/10/2016 03:41 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[My ISP won't let me quote the relevant part of your original message:
"line too long"]

That Ferguson tractor ran only on gasoline? My father's (in UK) started
on gasoline, but then he changed over to kerosene (called "TVO" over
there -- "Tractor Vaporizing Oil") once the engine had warmed up. He
later replaced the original engine by a Perkins 3-cylinder diesel; I
never thought to ask why -- maybe some of the local young intelligentsia
put sand in the oil filler hole of the original one.

Perce

We only ran it on regular gasoline. My dad almost got killed on the thing. He hooked a chain to the top hitch point behind the seat then attempted to pull a large tree root out of the field. His foot slipped off the clutch and the tractor reared up like an angry horse pointing its headlights skyward.. He fell out of the seat as the engine died. The updraft carburetor flooded when the tractor hit 90% straight up. My dad wasn't hurt badly and when the clutch was pushed in by hand, the tractor returned to a level stance. He never made that mistake again. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tractor Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 May 2016 11:01:38 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

That's why the heavy longtail fenders were addes to the "Irish
Fordson" AKA the big grey farmer killer" The little fergie (35 - 135
)wasn't so bad - it didn''t generally have enough traction (or power)
to rear up too far.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 May 2016 15:31:13 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

But it could be worse, I guess....
At least I learned what a hammer is, when I was about 5 years old.
Ask any 20 year old these days what a hammer is. After looking at you
really dumb, they say "It's a Rap Musician..... MC Hammer".

Why don't you paint the handles of your metric wrenches red so that you can
identify them without reading the size?

Paul

Now that is an excellent idea. Thank You!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/10/2016 12:46 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
We took out a plug and started checking wrenches,. Found one that
was a loose fit. Then on a whim I checked a SAE plug socket and it fit
just fine. Did not need one as I had some at home.

A 9/16 plug socket is close enough for government work on 14mm plugs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why don't you paint the handles of your metric wrenches red so that you can identify them without reading the size?

I have a bunch of metric snap on sockets and they all have knurled
rings around them to differentiate from SAE
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 1:56:30 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 1:45:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 13:24:02 -0500, Mark Storkamp
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Mon, 09 May 2016 23:27:58 -0400,
wrote:

The threads on a MIG Welder tip are listed as:

M5 x .8 thd

I always have problems understanding metrics.

I know that a 1/4 x 20 bolt means 1/4 inch diameter, 20 threads per
inch. That's so easy.

Then they shove metrics into our lives and all hell breaks loose...

I'm going to take a guess,

The "M" means METRIC

The "5" means 5 milimeter (mm)

The ".8" I dont understand at all. It's surely not .8 threads per inch,
or that would mean less than one thread per inch.

I'm sure the "thd" means THREAD

I googled this and 5mm is 0.197 inch, which needs a 4.20mm drill size.
(NOT what I was looking for)!

Damn, I hate metrics . . . . . . . .

It is easier than you think The thread pitch is .8mm

The rest of the world would ask WTF is an inch?

And you can divide the countries of the world into two groups: Those
that use the metric system, and those that have been to the moon ;-)

... Except NASA is on the metric system. They have been since they
crashed a probe on Mars because someone was confused.

Do you remember The Gimli Glider? ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

[8~{} Uncle Dumpty Monster

No, but I remember Aragorn throwing Gimli at Helms Deep!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:23:10 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 1:56:30 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 1:45:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 13:24:02 -0500, Mark Storkamp
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

[8~{} Uncle Empty Monster

No, but I remember Aragorn throwing Gimli at Helms Deep!

Quit acting like a child Booby. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Adult Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2016 13:24:02 -0500, Mark Storkamp
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Russia uses the imperial measurement system???
Russian measuring system of length is metric (centimeters, meters and
kilometers), so they do not use inches or feet in Russia. They use
grams and kilograms as the measuring system of weight, and Russians
are not familiar with ounces or pounds. Liquids are measured in
liters, rather than gallons, though strangely enough alcoholic drinks
are measured in grams. Do not forget about this when you buy gasoline
in Russia, as it is also measured in liters (there are about 4 liters
in a gallon).
Unlike in Fahrenheit-oriented countries, temperature in Russia is
measured in Celsius, or Centigrade (which is a former name for
Celsius). Or order to convert Fahrenheit into Celcius, use the
following formula: Celsius Temperature = (5:9) x (Fahrenheit
Temperature-32).

So, I'd have to say your "daffynition" is "daffy"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

Have you noticed my new kindness?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 3:42:25 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

Tekkie my friend, you've always been kind of something.sticks out tongue ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Smartass Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2016 16:18:36 -0400, wrote:

Russia uses the imperial measurement system???

Perhaps he should have said "came home from the moon" because if a
russian ever got there, he is still there.