Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Please explain this Metric thread size

On Wed, 11 May 2016 13:24:02 -0500, Mark Storkamp
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Mon, 09 May 2016 23:27:58 -0400,
wrote:

The threads on a MIG Welder tip are listed as:

M5 x .8 thd

I always have problems understanding metrics.

I know that a 1/4 x 20 bolt means 1/4 inch diameter, 20 threads per
inch. That's so easy.

Then they shove metrics into our lives and all hell breaks loose...

I'm going to take a guess,

The "M" means METRIC

The "5" means 5 milimeter (mm)

The ".8" I dont understand at all. It's surely not .8 threads per inch,
or that would mean less than one thread per inch.

I'm sure the "thd" means THREAD

I googled this and 5mm is 0.197 inch, which needs a 4.20mm drill size.
(NOT what I was looking for)!

Damn, I hate metrics . . . . . . . .

It is easier than you think The thread pitch is .8mm

The rest of the world would ask WTF is an inch?

And you can divide the countries of the world into two groups: Those
that use the metric system, and those that have been to the moon ;-)

Russia uses the imperial measurement system???
Russian measuring system of length is metric (centimeters, meters and
kilometers), so they do not use inches or feet in Russia. They use
grams and kilograms as the measuring system of weight, and Russians
are not familiar with ounces or pounds. Liquids are measured in
liters, rather than gallons, though strangely enough alcoholic drinks
are measured in grams. Do not forget about this when you buy gasoline
in Russia, as it is also measured in liters (there are about 4 liters
in a gallon).
Unlike in Fahrenheit-oriented countries, temperature in Russia is
measured in Celsius, or Centigrade (which is a former name for
Celsius). Or order to convert Fahrenheit into Celcius, use the
following formula: Celsius Temperature = (5:9) x (Fahrenheit
Temperature-32).

So, I'd have to say your "daffynition" is "daffy"