Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric baseboard: hydronic vs. convection?

Hi,
I'd like some advice.
Finishing my basement (one big room of 20x30) and want to use electric baseboard heat (as a backup to my mini-split heat pump). I've read about the difference between regular (cheaper) convection electric baseboards and (more pricey) electric hydronic. I like hydronic heat. I've also noticed a good number of complaints that electric hydronic baseboards don't seem to last many years. My basement will NOT get continual use, but I don't want to invest only to see it be wasted. What has you experience been with electric hydronic?
All comments appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Theodore,

I'd like some advice.
Finishing my basement (one big room of 20x30) and want to use electric
baseboard heat (as a backup to my mini-split heat pump). I've read
about the difference between regular (cheaper) convection electric
baseboards and (more pricey) electric hydronic. I like hydronic heat.
I've also noticed a good number of complaints that electric hydronic
baseboards don't seem to last many years. My basement will NOT get
continual use, but I don't want to invest only to see it be wasted.
What has you experience been with electric hydronic?

I don't have any experience with electric hydronic, but I have used
portable "oil" filled baseboard heaters. The heating element heats up the
oil and the oil then heats the room.

I don't think these are any more efficient than a simple electric baseboard
ehater, but they do even out the heat. It's more of a gradual constant heat
than the heating and cooling cycles of most heaters. Since the heating
element isn't exposed, there's no burning dust smell when their used either
(especially at the start of the heating season). Ours worked fine for many
years until we got rid of them (didn't need them in the new house).

For a simple electric backup heat source, you might consider small in-wall
electric heaters (like those made by King Electric or Cadet). They take up
very little wall space, and the fan helps circulate the air in the room.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 May 2016 04:14:44 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

[...]

I agree the oil filled heaters are a more even heat, but as far as
saving electricity, there really is no advantage to any specific heater
type. A watt of electricity will only generate so many BTUs, no matter
how it's used. Electric heat is the most expensive heat source.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My one experience with electric baseboard
heat was that it is a terribly expensive
way to heat. This was in the mid 1980s,
and the price of the electric was really
extreme. I'm not sure if this is the case
for you, where you are. Some places,
electric is not as expensive.

We have fairly cheap electric rates (8.61 cents per kilowatt) here in the
Pacific Northwest. We use electric wall heaters for all heating, water
heating, appliances, lighting, water pump, etc.

We average about 30-40 kwh/day during the summer, and about 50-70 during
the winter.

Our current electric bill is $102 per month (equal pay plan).

We spend twice that on a weeks worth of groceries, so our electric bill is
not a big part of our budget.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all replies so far.
I'm in the northeast, so electric is not cheap, but considering this isn't a continual use room, and it's mostly underground, and it's got a heat pump, and the main house's hydronic loop is exposed and overhead throughout the basement, I think electric baseboard for the basement is an ok solution for me.

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with longevity of these hydronic electric units vs. regular electric baseboard. And I understand that regular electric baseboard often smells of burning dust... which is annoying but tolerable.