Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, Wade Garrett wrote:

Check for dial tone and service in the service connection box on the
outside of your house.

And generally NOT on the outside of the house adoung here. Usually in
(a) the basement
(B) the garage,
or
(c) the "service closet" where the electrical service etc enters the
home

This MAY vary by location - being outside on the service post in
trailer parks etc.

Also called an NID (network interface device) or a PA (point-of-access).

Unscrew/open the outer user-accessible door and plug in a known good
plain phone (no batteries or separate power connection required).

"user-accessible" side requires a flat-blade screwdriver to open. The carrier's side
(yer ISP) requires a security TORX driver.

No signal there? It's the carrier's problem. Got a signal? it's your
problem.

Gee, I've been saying the same thing, all morning.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now if only someone would explain what a NID is .. .. .. ..

NETWORK INTERFACE DEVICE. makes troubleshhoting a breeze
Posted to alt.home.repair

well verizon should install a NID for free.......

EXCEPT if your in a FIOS served area..

My great aunts phone quit working so I went over to take a look.

NO NID
phone line dead.

main drop cable cracked we had a lot of rain.

the phone tech showed up and said he would install FIOS.

my aunt had no interest in fios anything.

So i told the tech no problem she doesnt want FIOS. since I had a 3 month misery trying to get mine working. I KID YOU NOT IT WAS FINALLY TRACED TO A BAD ROUTER IN THE CO.

I said please just replace the copper drop. he reported he isnt allowed to do that.......

he got on the phone and argued with his boss who said FIOS only.

I got on the phone with the techs boss, I said please give me your name or ID number, teresa is going to straightalk today but we will send the president of verizon your name and id. so management knows why you lost another customer.....

the replacement copper line was replaced, and her phone is still working fine, years later.

verizon road techs are awesome, their phone support sucks.

i had so much fios hassles i demanded they remove my unused copper drop and all the fios garbage. they refused so i threatened to put a large banner in my yard VERIZON FIOS SUCKS.

They removed everything
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/28/2016 08:35 PM, bob haller wrote:
main drop cable cracked we had a lot of rain.

the phone tech showed up and said he would install FIOS.

my aunt had no interest in fios anything.

So you have one problem with FiOS and then condemn it? In my opinion, you're an idiot!

FiOS service is absolutely awesome. Literally millions of people would trade their crappy slow copper line for FiOS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:20:10 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

Now if only someone would explain what a NID is .. .. .. ..

NETWORK INTERFACE DEVICE. makes troubleshhoting a breeze

My phone service has a box on the outside of the house which has a plug
just like the plug in phone jacks. I'm assuming this is what it is.

If my phone is not working, I pop off that cover, unplug the whole
house, and plug a (known to work) phone directly into that box. If that
fixes it, then I know the problem is in my house. Otherwise I call the
phone company and it's their job to fix it at no cost to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 12:40:27 PM UTC-5, Cosmic Dot wrote:

Also someone who live 20 miles away said they are selling off local access responsibility to another company, and they were told they'll be without phone service for two weeks until reprogrammed. I've not heard of that in this area though.

Read the article at this site:
http://stopthecap.com/2014/03/03/att...a-and-florida/

Although the title names 2 southern states, the article includes many others. End result is that copper land lines are being abandoned unless a local mom & pop phone company takes them over. AT&T will replace home phone service with satellite via Direct TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-29, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

On 4/28/2016 9:54 PM, notbob wrote:

You need to join my group: CRAP!

That's Curmudgeons Resisting Acronym Propagation.

I thought it was Curmudgeons Resisting Acronym Proliferation.

Hey!.... It's my group!! (although "Proliferation" works jes fine)

Weren't the SALT (Silly Assed Language Teasers) talks supposed to stop this?

I certainly hope not. What else does usenet have!?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 4/28/2016 6:01 PM, Buster wrote:
On 04/28/2016 08:35 PM, bob haller wrote:
main drop cable cracked we had a lot of rain.

the phone tech showed up and said he would install FIOS.

my aunt had no interest in fios anything.

So you have one problem with FiOS and then condemn it? In my opinion,
you're an idiot!

FiOS service is absolutely awesome. Literally millions of people would
trade their crappy slow copper line for FiOS.

Oddly, AT&T is suddenly going gangbusters on FTTH while Verizon was not
wanting to expand FIOS to new areas. Now apparently Verizon has had a
change of heart, probably due to Google and AT&T doing FTTH.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 10:29:55 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 4/28/2016 10:18 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 8:51:26 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 8:47:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:
My phones have no dial tone. My DSL internet works fine. When I call my home number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in the house don't ring.

I disconnected all phones and tested one by one. All dead. Still have to replace all the DSL filters one by one. But could they all 5 go dead at once? Could a surge go through the lightning arrestors, knock out 3 phones, leave the DSL router and answering machine untouched? I don't think so.

I don't have an NID. It's 1970s wiring, Bell System. The incoming phone line is in the basement and terminates on a lighting block arrestor. Two maroon solenoids on the sides with incoming wire connected above, and phone lines below.

I hooked up a two wire, red and green jack with RJ11 connector to the incoming wire posts and connected a phone. No dial tone.

So I'm thinking this is not a problem in the wiring or equipment in my home.

I'm asking if anyone sees flaws in my analysis.

Will Verizon install an NID in or outside at no charge?

Will I get marginally faster internet if I have RJ45 cable wired from the incoming directly to my router? It's not a long run maybe 6 feet.

Thanks for any expertise you can offer.

Since you tested as close to where the wiring enters your house and
there is no signal there, I'd call the phone company. That's what you're
paying for. But one more test I'd do, try it again with everything
downstream disconnected, by unhooking it at that block.

Thanks, sounds a good idea. The system takes the yellow and black wires to a third terminal on the bottom of the block, and they carry to a small block, I think a transformer, that plugs into a conventional electrical outlet, two pronged. If that goes bad does the whole system lose power? I never thought so because the phones will carry power when there's a power outage, but what do I know.

No. That wall-wart is most likely for 1970s era phones with lighted
dials. All power comes over the 2 wires. If you have a DC voltmeter,
it would be interesting to read the voltage on each of the 2 wires, red
and green, to a ground, such as an outlet box or cold water pipe, i.e.
red to ground and green to ground. Also, across the red and green.

And the red and yellow, and the green and yellow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 22:09:42 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 4/28/2016 6:01 PM, Buster wrote:
On 04/28/2016 08:35 PM, bob haller wrote:
main drop cable cracked we had a lot of rain.

the phone tech showed up and said he would install FIOS.

my aunt had no interest in fios anything.

So you have one problem with FiOS and then condemn it? In my opinion,
you're an idiot!

FiOS service is absolutely awesome. Literally millions of people would
trade their crappy slow copper line for FiOS.

Oddly, AT&T is suddenly going gangbusters on FTTH while Verizon was not
wanting to expand FIOS to new areas. Now apparently Verizon has had a
change of heart, probably due to Google and AT&T doing FTTH.

I talked to my company, Century Link and they have no immediate plans
to put FiOS in my area. They tuned up the copper and put more DSL hubs
in so we are getting 10 meg and they sell it as TV and Internet along
with POTS. I think they can double up on the copper and get it up to
20 meg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/28/2016 11:09 PM, sms wrote:
On 4/28/2016 6:01 PM, Buster wrote:
On 04/28/2016 08:35 PM, bob haller wrote:
main drop cable cracked we had a lot of rain.

the phone tech showed up and said he would install FIOS.

my aunt had no interest in fios anything.

So you have one problem with FiOS and then condemn it? In my opinion,
you're an idiot!

FiOS service is absolutely awesome. Literally millions of people would
trade their crappy slow copper line for FiOS.

Oddly, AT&T is suddenly going gangbusters on FTTH while Verizon was not wanting to expand FIOS to new areas. Now apparently Verizon has had a change of heart, probably due to Google and AT&T doing FTTH

ATT just finished "upgrading" (haha) our area to 6Mb/1Mb U-Verse. The fact that they bought Directv says they know their own network capacity sucks and can't handle TV/video.

Thankfully I live in Comcast country and can get their 120Mb/20Mb service.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 4/29/2016 1:42 AM, GOWGN wrote:
On 04/28/2016 11:09 PM, sms wrote:
On 4/28/2016 6:01 PM, Buster wrote:
On 04/28/2016 08:35 PM, bob haller wrote:
main drop cable cracked we had a lot of rain.

the phone tech showed up and said he would install FIOS.

my aunt had no interest in fios anything.

So you have one problem with FiOS and then condemn it? In my opinion,
you're an idiot!

FiOS service is absolutely awesome. Literally millions of people would
trade their crappy slow copper line for FiOS.

Oddly, AT&T is suddenly going gangbusters on FTTH while Verizon was
not wanting to expand FIOS to new areas. Now apparently Verizon has
had a change of heart, probably due to Google and AT&T doing FTTH

ATT just finished "upgrading" (haha) our area to 6Mb/1Mb U-Verse. The
fact that they bought Directv says they know their own network capacity
sucks and can't handle TV/video.

In my neighborhood, AT&T offers 1Gb/s service for $70 per month, if you
agree to let them spy on you. That includes the modem and no charge for
installation.

Thankfully I live in Comcast country and can get their 120Mb/20Mb service.

Comcast just ran fiber to the pole in my neighborhood, but the drop from
the fiber hub to the house is still coax. They say that they will be
offering 1Gb/s service as well. For now, they have reduced their
offerings to either 25Mb/s (1 channel) or 100Mb/s (four channels), but
it's really about 30Mb/s or 120Mb/s. I had two-channel 50Mb/s which was
really about 59Mb/s.

I can't see paying for 1Gb/s service since there's really no upside.
Even 50Mb/s is more than most any house needs unless you're watching
multiple 4K video streams.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/28/2016 06:51 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

He's at the point where it enters the building. He has no dial tone.
Time to call the phone company, that's what he's paying for.

IF the test was done with the house wiring disconnected, to make sure it
isn't causing the problem.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Koranic teaching still insists that the sun moves around the earth. How
can we advance when they teach things like that?" -- Taslima Nasrin Time
magazine, 31st Jan 1994
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/29/2016 07:33 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

It doesn't take all day to figure out what NID or similar means.
Just to prove it, I just opened a new window, typed "NID phone"
and a whole bunch of hits with the answer was listed. Took less
than 10 secs and the words Network Inteface Device were there.
It would take a couple of mins more if you wanted to click on one
or two for more information.

Some people appear to be "naturally" helpless, and won't try a simple,
fast thing to get the information, but will have to use the more
complicated, slower method of asking and waiting for a possible answer
(that's likely to not be as good).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Koranic teaching still insists that the sun moves around the earth. How
can we advance when they teach things like that?" -- Taslima Nasrin Time
magazine, 31st Jan 1994
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 14:19:18 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 04/28/2016 06:51 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

He's at the point where it enters the building. He has no dial tone.
Time to call the phone company, that's what he's paying for.

IF the test was done with the house wiring disconnected, to make sure it
isn't causing the problem.

The OP is long gone. He has figured out it is not his problem. The DSL
works and there is no dial tone at that spot. That means the wiring is
working. If it was shorted, it would ring busy and if it was open, the
DSL would not work.

He is where Verison is on strike so I suspect those good old boy,
union workers, sabotaged the CO on their way out.
Management or the scabs should be able to fix the problem tho.
These days it might just be a keyboard trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 2:19:22 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/28/2016 06:51 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

He's at the point where it enters the building. He has no dial tone.
Time to call the phone company, that's what he's paying for.

IF the test was done with the house wiring disconnected, to make sure it
isn't causing the problem.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I've seen bugs, plants and water wetting a phone jack conduct enough electricity to pull the phone circuit off hook. It's not unusual for phone company techs to find jacks that dogs have urinated on. The urine and deposits it leaves will short the phone line. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pee Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/29/2016 08:36 AM, sms wrote:

[snip]

I can't see paying for 1Gb/s service since there's really no upside.
Even 50Mb/s is more than most any house needs unless you're watching
multiple 4K video streams.

I saw one ad (for 1Gb/s internet) that said you could download a movie
in less than a minute. Maybe some people are in that much of a hurry to
watch a movie.

Lat year, I got a cable internet upgrade from 15Mb/s to 50Mb/s,
requiring a new modem (considering that a TV channel is limited to
somewhere around 36Kb/s, and I needed DOCSIS3, which can use more than
one channel). They have higher speeds, but 50Mb/s still seems fast.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Koranic teaching still insists that the sun moves around the earth. How
can we advance when they teach things like that?" -- Taslima Nasrin Time
magazine, 31st Jan 1994
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phone companies put the NID outdoors to make service easier.

their techs confirm the phone is working at the NID, and its the customers hassle after that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 9:01:47 PM UTC-4, Buster wrote:
On 04/28/2016 08:35 PM, bob haller wrote:
main drop cable cracked we had a lot of rain.

the phone tech showed up and said he would install FIOS.

my aunt had no interest in fios anything.

So you have one problem with FiOS and then condemn it? In my opinion, you're an idiot!

FiOS service is absolutely awesome. Literally millions of people would trade their crappy slow copper line for FiOS.

well lets see. you have a noisey phone line for many months. When I called verizon their reps ALL said its your interior wiring. Even after 3 techs visited and reported reproduced problem with home totally disconnected.

after just 3 months my FIOS install had a battery failure, new batterys about 50 bucks and fight with verizon that there bshould be a warranty on the battery. After all te install was just a few months old.

I still had my business line on copper. a outgoing call package cost 35 bucks a months. so i called to cancel the outgoing call package since i was making all calls with my cell phone

THEY CANCELLED MY BUSINESS LINE TWICE! My sole income

the first time they fixed in in just a hour/////

The second time it took 4 days to get it fixed again

the phone techs you call werre abusive and not helpful. Go thru all those automated attendants to finally get thru but get this message

all reps are busy now please try your call again goodbye. system hangs up on customer

verixon deserves no customers
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/29/2016 06:48 PM, bob haller wrote:
after just 3 months my FIOS install had a battery failure, new batterys about 50 bucks and fight with verizon that there bshould be a warranty on the battery. After all te install was just a few months old.

If you bought a dildo and the batteries failed after 3 months, would you expect free replacements?

Anyway, here's a FiOS ONT battery for $17

http://smile.amazon.com/VERIZON-UPGR.../dp/B00RPKBV5G

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Sounds like problem outside the house. Phone company will not charge
or should not charge to check since you do not have device to connect
outside house. When I had wired phones and would call them they
always asked me to check outside as if problem was in the house they
would charge me.

And they will probably add the NID at that time. Ask them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 9:21:58 AM UTC-4, Eddie wrote:
On 04/29/2016 06:48 PM, bob haller wrote:
after just 3 months my FIOS install had a battery failure, new batterys about 50 bucks and fight with verizon that there bshould be a warranty on the battery. After all te install was just a few months old.

If you bought a dildo and the batteries failed after 3 months, would you expect free replacements?

Anyway, here's a FiOS ONT battery for $17

http://smile.amazon.com/VERIZON-UPGR.../dp/B00RPKBV5G

the technicians who installed my spiffy new FIOS equiptement said the battery would be good for years........

FIOS was the worst customer service experience of my entire life!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/30/2016 9:21 AM, Eddie wrote:
On 04/29/2016 06:48 PM, bob haller wrote:
after just 3 months my FIOS install had a battery failure, new
batterys about 50 bucks and fight with verizon that there bshould be a
warranty on the battery. After all te install was just a few months old.

If you bought a dildo and the batteries failed after 3 months, would you
expect free replacements?

Anyway, here's a FiOS ONT battery for $17

http://smile.amazon.com/VERIZON-UPGR.../dp/B00RPKBV5G

Expectations are different. If you bought a brand new car would you
shrug off the failure of a 3 month battery? Especially a rechargeable.
Same with a phone backup battery.

Chances are your dildo has disposable batteries and you use it a couple
of times a day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 17:13:40 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

The OP is long gone. He has figured out it is not his problem. The DSL
works and there is no dial tone at that spot. That means the wiring is
working. If it was shorted, it would ring busy and if it was open, the
DSL would not work.

I suggested a PARTIAL short or open, that passes some frequencies but
not others. It responds differently to phone (up to about 3KHz) and DSL
(10KHz and up).

POTS is a pretty robust technology. A partial short will put a hum on
the line or take it off hook, depending on how "short" it is.
If it is off hook, it will show busy when you call. He said it has a
ring tone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller posted for all of us...

Phone companies put the NID outdoors to make service easier.

Not in my case. They installed it inside, so I don't have outside problems.
It also made it easy to diagnose. Always outside faults-my drop had 5
rockets one time.

Can't go to the basement any more so I wonder what's going to happen when
the FIOS battery ****s. As far as I am concerned the NID is now the FIOS box
and Verizon's problem. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

their techs confirm the phone is working at the NID, and its the customers hassle after that.

No, they have the helpless grandmother check and confuse her.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 8:47:21 AM UTC-4, Cosmic Dot wrote:
[...]

So it's 4 days later and it's been raining. Now the phone has dial tone with EXTREME static. I didn't report it yet because I think it might be strike related, and I doubt they'll fix it during the strike anyway. So I'll wait to see what happens if it dries out in a few days or a week. If the DSL goes down I'll report it immediately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/03/2016 03:02 PM, Cosmic Dot wrote:
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 8:47:21 AM UTC-4, Cosmic Dot wrote:
My phones have no dial tone. My DSL internet works fine. When I call my home number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in the house don't ring.

[snip]

So it's 4 days later and it's been raining. Now the phone has dial tone with EXTREME static. I didn't report it yet because I think it might be strike related, and I doubt they'll fix it during the strike anyway. So I'll wait to see what happens if it dries out in a few days or a week. If the DSL goes down I'll report it immediately.

Phone works only when wet? Somehow, that could be a grounding problem.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I think the Zapruder film was arranged [by] Jesus, so that this
particular 'terrible head wound' would be seen by the whole word for
over 3 decades." [John Prewett, net.fundie.idiot]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 4:02:18 PM UTC-4, Cosmic Dot wrote:
[...]

Fine. Keep a speculative wild goose chase going on the internet, instead
of putting in a service call to Verizon to fix what's almost certainly
their problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 7:04:30 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

They're on strike. They're not going to fix this during the strike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2016 9:12 PM, Cosmic Dot wrote:
On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 7:04:30 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
Fine. Keep a speculative wild goose chase going on the internet, instead
of putting in a service call to Verizon to fix what's almost certainly
their problem.

They're on strike. They're not going to fix this during the strike.

You're not going to get much satisfaction on a
usenet group in the meanwhile.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/03/2016 07:12 PM, Cosmic Dot wrote:
So it's 4 days later and it's been raining. Now the phone has dial tone with EXTREME static. I didn't report it yet because I think it might be strike related, and I doubt they'll fix it during the strike anyway. So I'll wait to see what happens if it dries out in a few days or a week. If the DSL goes down
I'll report it immediately.
Fine. Keep a speculative wild goose chase going on the internet, instead
of putting in a service call to Verizon to fix what's almost certainly
their problem.

They're on strike. They're not going to fix this during the strike.

You're right, I wouldn't expect management to know which end of a screwdriver to use but at least call it in and get on their waiting list.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 4:34:41 AM UTC-4, Jess Askin wrote:
On 05/03/2016 07:12 PM, Cosmic Dot wrote:
So it's 4 days later and it's been raining. Now the phone has dial tone with EXTREME static. I didn't report it yet because I think it might be strike related, and I doubt they'll fix it during the strike anyway. So I'll wait to see what happens if it dries out in a few days or a week. If the DSL goes down
I'll report it immediately.
Fine. Keep a speculative wild goose chase going on the internet, instead
of putting in a service call to Verizon to fix what's almost certainly
their problem.

They're on strike. They're not going to fix this during the strike.

You're right, I wouldn't expect management to know which end of a screwdriver to use but at least call it in and get on their waiting list.

I'll grant you folks that point. They could take weeks, so it's advisable to get on the list. The last tech a year ago told me the wires on the poles were all used or had static. Rain after dry periods did bring on static at that time.

But let me ask another question. I have some old 1960s phone wire. It's 4 wire, and almost stiff. Must be 3 or 4 times thicker than the stuff in my home. If I wire that, directly from the point of demarcation (after the fuses), to the router/modem with RJ45 jack, will it increase the throughput and speed of the DSL connection?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 11:17:04 AM UTC-4, Cosmic Dot wrote:
[...]

From your description your problem is the wiring outside the house,
not inside. When they fix that, it might improve the DSL.
Changing 20 ft of wire
inside your house when there is likely thousands of feet, if not miles of
wire outside is almost certainly not going to change anything. DSL
is more sensitive to bridge taps on the line and wire gauge changes over
the whole course of the line than it is to the particular gauge of
20 ft of wire inside your house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2016 11:17 AM, Cosmic Dot wrote:

But let me ask another question. I have

some old 1960s phone wire. It's 4 wire, and
almost stiff. Must be 3 or 4 times thicker
than the stuff in my home. If I wire that,
directly from the point of demarcation (after
the fuses), to the router/modem with RJ45 jack,
will it increase the throughput and speed of
the DSL connection?

Intuitively, it seems like it ought to help.
I'd run the old wire parallel so you can go
back if you want.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

I want to know about bad phone wiring! [email protected] UK diy 20 February 13th 11 03:18 PM
Home phone wiring mgarvie Home Repair 8 March 10th 06 04:10 PM
Phone wiring [email protected] Home Ownership 3 August 8th 04 04:09 PM
Home Phone Wiring Question Mr. R Home Repair 2 May 30th 04 07:38 PM
Help w/ Phone Wiring barry martin Home Repair 0 June 26th 03 02:28 AM