DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Home Phone Wiring Repair (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/393774-home-phone-wiring-repair.html)

[email protected] April 28th 16 01:47 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

My phones have no dial tone. My DSL internet works fine. When I call my home number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in the house don't ring.

I disconnected all phones and tested one by one. All dead. Still have to replace all the DSL filters one by one. But could they all 5 go dead at once? Could a surge go through the lightning arrestors, knock out 3 phones, leave the DSL router and answering machine untouched? I don't think so.

I don't have an NID. It's 1970s wiring, Bell System. The incoming phone line is in the basement and terminates on a lighting block arrestor. Two maroon solenoids on the sides with incoming wire connected above, and phone lines below.

I hooked up a two wire, red and green jack with RJ11 connector to the incoming wire posts and connected a phone. No dial tone.

So I'm thinking this is not a problem in the wiring or equipment in my home..

I'm asking if anyone sees flaws in my analysis.

Will Verizon install an NID in or outside at no charge?

Will I get marginally faster internet if I have RJ45 cable wired from the incoming directly to my router? It's not a long run maybe 6 feet.

Thanks for any expertise you can offer.

trader_4 April 28th 16 01:51 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 8:47:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Since you tested as close to where the wiring enters your house and
there is no signal there, I'd call the phone company. That's what you're
paying for. But one more test I'd do, try it again with everything
downstream disconnected, by unhooking it at that block.

Frank[_24_] April 28th 16 02:18 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 4/28/2016 8:51 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Sounds like problem outside the house. Phone company will not charge or
should not charge to check since you do not have device to connect
outside house. When I had wired phones and would call them they always
asked me to check outside as if problem was in the house they would
charge me.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] April 28th 16 03:08 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 4/28/2016 8:47 AM, wrote:
[...]

I suspect the items you call solenoids are actually
fuses. A solenoid is a coil of wire with a metal
center. When the power is engaged, the metal center
moves. Whirlpool washing machines use solenoids to
change cycles on the washing machine.

That said, sounds like time to call phone company
with a trouble report.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected] April 28th 16 03:18 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 8:51:26 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Thanks, sounds a good idea. The system takes the yellow and black wires to a third terminal on the bottom of the block, and they carry to a small block, I think a transformer, that plugs into a conventional electrical outlet, two pronged. If that goes bad does the whole system lose power? I never thought so because the phones will carry power when there's a power outage, but what do I know.

Art Todesco April 28th 16 03:29 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 4/28/2016 10:18 AM, wrote:
[...]

No. That wall-wart is most likely for 1970s era phones with lighted
dials. All power comes over the 2 wires. If you have a DC voltmeter,
it would be interesting to read the voltage on each of the 2 wires, red
and green, to a ground, such as an outlet box or cold water pipe, i.e.
red to ground and green to ground. Also, across the red and green.

[email protected] April 28th 16 04:11 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 05:47:17 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

There is another thread here that says Verison is striking in the
northeast. I bet they trashed something in the CO that took out your
phone. If the DSL is working, your wiring is working. As a sanity
check, try the phone on the wire to the DSL modem.

Uncle Monster[_2_] April 28th 16 04:12 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 7:47:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

A DSL signal will actually jump a gap that opens the talk battery which is -48 vdc. I've seen it happen before when there was no dial tone but the DSL was working. Go to your demarcation point outside on the wall of your home and check for 48 volts dc across the green and red wires or the flat black drop cable that attaches to the protector. If there is no voltage, it's a phone company problem. The problem could actually be at the central office. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Phone Monster

[email protected] April 28th 16 04:46 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 10:30:00 AM UTC-4, Art Todesco wrote:
On 4/28/2016 10:18 AM, wrote:
[...]

I don't have one, the only thing I have is a WWII era testing light. Two end probes and a tiny light of unknown wattage in the middle. It doesn't light up on the incoming wires.

notbob April 28th 16 04:50 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, wrote:

I'm asking if anyone sees flaws in my analysis.

None.

I have DSL in the CO Rockies. I've experienced functioning internet
while having no dialtone on my phones. I've also experienced a
dialtone with no internet and most other variations. Basically, both
phone call signals and internet signals can occupy the same copper
wire cuz They're two different frequencies.

Yer only problem is if you are not getting a signal to the
point-of-access (PA), in which case it's the phone company's headache,
not yers. In yer case, the PA is not an NID. Regardless, there is
still a point of demarcation, where yer POTS (plain ol' telephone service) line is
still the phone company's and not yers. That is yer PA and where/what
you should check. You need to plug a regular phone/laptop into that
PA and see if you get a dialtone/internet. If not, it's on the phone
company and is not yer problem. Anything after the PA and it's on
you. End of story! ;)

I use an old push-button Bell Telephone Princess phone with lighted
dial, where the dial works off the POTS voltage (approx 5V), so this
phone shows me most probs. If you have to, plugging a laptop into the
PA will also show slow service (do a speed test). Most of my probs
come from the RJ11 connectors, specially unions, which connect two
shorter lines to make a longer line. Eliminate them if you can.

Also, phone company modems can also become faulty. That's another
good reason to check at the PA. If you rent a modem from yer POTS
supplier, like me, it's they're responsibility.

nb

[email protected] April 28th 16 04:51 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

wrote:

[...]

Will try that this afternoon. Could be the strike, or could be branches. Two weeks ago a big branch tangled up the wires. Electric Co sent a tree trim truck. He cut the branch underneath and the whole thing came down. Everything was fine after that. This is new the last 2 days, I do have the sense that the phone lights were weak on Monday. And in fact now they do not light up at all despite the wall transformer. Odd.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] April 28th 16 04:51 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 4/28/2016 11:46 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 10:30:00 AM UTC-4, Art Todesco wrote:
No. That wall-wart is most likely for 1970s era phones with lighted
dials. All power comes over the 2 wires. If you have a DC voltmeter,
it would be interesting to read the voltage on each of the 2 wires, red
and green, to a ground, such as an outlet box or cold water pipe, i.e.
red to ground and green to ground. Also, across the red and green.

I don't have one, the only thing I have is a WWII era testing light. Two end probes and a tiny light of unknown wattage in the middle. It doesn't light up on the incoming wires.

You may wish to consider a trip to Harbor
Freight. Or chat with some neighbors (you
did mention having a cell phone) and see
if any of them has some wiring skill and
tools.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

dadiOH[_3_] April 28th 16 05:12 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

wrote:
[...]

I have no idea what an NID is but isn't there a phone box on the outside of
your house? Assuming there is, plug a phone into the jack inside the box.
If no tone, call Verizon...it is your problem. If not dead, it is your
problem.

notbob April 28th 16 05:14 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, dadiOH wrote:

I have no idea what an NID is but isn't there a phone box on the outside of
your house?

Try looking it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_interface_device

nb

[email protected] April 28th 16 06:40 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 11:12:56 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I did try my little circuit tester, and it showed no power. I tested directly on the thick black phone wire, stiff copper, that comes into the house, before the lightning resistor box. Then I used one of those little Christmas tree bulbs across the two wires. Again, no juice there at all. So I'm about out of methods to test, and it seems like it is a phone company problem. Have to go visually inspect the phone poles.

Also someone who live 20 miles away said they are selling off local access responsibility to another company, and they were told they'll be without phone service for two weeks until reprogrammed. I've not heard of that in this area though.

[email protected] April 28th 16 06:44 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

[...]

THanks to all for all the info. This is far more than I found searching online. Consumers really do understand tech and what to do to help themselves! Thanks!

[email protected] April 28th 16 06:45 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

wrote:

[...]

yeah totally dead on the wire to the DSL. But the DSL is fine.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] April 28th 16 07:19 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 04/28/2016 09:18 AM, wrote:

Thanks, sounds a good idea. The system takes the yellow and black wires to a third terminal on the bottom of the block, and they carry to a small block, I think a transformer, that plugs
into a conventional electrical outlet, two pronged. If that goes bad does the whole system lose power? I never thought so because the phones will carry power when there's a power outage,
but what do I know.

There was one of those in my first Apartment (in 1980). Some phones used
the black and yellow wires to power the dial light (even with phone
on-hook). You probably don't need it. Disconnect it.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Every religion in the world that has destroyed people is based on
love." [Anton LaVey]

Mark Lloyd[_12_] April 28th 16 07:30 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 04/28/2016 07:47 AM, wrote:
My phones have no dial tone. My DSL internet works fine. When I call my home number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in the house don't ring.

I disconnected all phones and tested one by one. All dead. Still have to replace all the DSL filters one by one. But could they all 5 go dead at once? Could a surge go through the
lightning arrestors, knock out 3 phones, leave the DSL router and answering machine untouched? I don't think so.

Unlikely, but ONE failing could cause the problem if it created a short
(at the low frequencies used for phone but not the high frequencies used
for DSL). Fixing that may even improve your DSL. Also, the problem may
be elsewhere in your inside wiring.

I don't have an NID. It's 1970s wiring, Bell System. The incoming phone line is in the basement and terminates on a lighting block arrestor. Two maroon solenoids on the sides with
incoming wire connected above, and phone lines below.

I don't have a NID either. Doesn't matter since I switched to cable for
both phone and internet.
Why would you have solenoids there? Like another poster said, they could
be fuses.

I hooked up a two wire, red and green jack with RJ11 connector to the incoming wire posts and connected a phone. No dial tone.

Do you get a dial tone with the two incoming wires only? (disconnect
them and connect ONLY them to your jack)

So I'm thinking this is not a problem in the wiring or equipment in my home

I'm asking if anyone sees flaws in my analysis.

It appears that you have failed to disconnect your inside wiring, while
testing the incoming line. A NID makes this easier, but you still need
to do it.

[snip]

Stormin Mormon[_10_] April 28th 16 07:35 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 4/28/2016 1:44 PM, wrote:
Thanks for any expertise you can offer.

THanks to all for all the info. This is far more than I found searching online. Consumers really do understand tech and what to do to help themselves! Thanks!

For plain old telephone:

Off hook 5 VDC
On hook 48 VDC
Ring 105 VAC

IIRC, red to ground should show power.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_16_] April 28th 16 07:40 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 4/28/2016 5:47 AM, wrote:
[...]

The problem is with yer ringer.

[email protected] April 28th 16 07:47 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 14:35:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/28/2016 1:44 PM, wrote:
Thanks for any expertise you can offer.

THanks to all for all the info. This is far more than I found searching online. Consumers really do understand tech and what to do to help themselves! Thanks!

For plain old telephone:

Off hook 5 VDC
On hook 48 VDC
Ring 105 VAC

IIRC, red to ground should show power.

This is also a very high impedance source, It is not going to light a
lamp unless it is ringing. Then it would light a neon.

500 ohms or less will take the line "off hook" and show busy to an
incoming call.
It really sounds like he is not connected to the central office but it
is connected to the DSL hub which might just be a box on a pole, right
up the street.
..

[email protected] April 28th 16 09:13 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:12:21 -0400, "dadiOH"

[...]

The NID is the network interface disconnect "box" you talked about. He
has no dial tone, so it is a Bell issue. Verizon doesn't own the
wires, so why would they get involved?

Oren[_2_] April 28th 16 09:22 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

wrote:

THanks to all for all the info. This is far more than I found searching online. Consumers really do understand tech and what to do to help themselves! Thanks!

For plain old telephone:

Off hook 5 VDC
On hook 48 VDC
Ring 105 VAC

IIRC, red to ground should show power.

My Grandpa's phone had ceramic copper tip fuses. He would pull them
out to keep my siblings from talking to long on the phone. If he hid
the fuses my brother would use table forks instead of the fuses. Had
to get them out before he came home. I got bit a few times, standing
in a rain puddle and plugging a fork in. I only hurts a little bit.

notbob April 28th 16 09:26 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, wrote:

has no dial tone, so it is a Bell issue.

Sez you. Bad assumption.

I've had internet service w/ no dial tone. And it was on my part of
the line. Bad RJ11 union, as I've stated B4 in this thread. So, it
was, in fact, MY problem. Which I fixed. neener neener..... ;)

nb

[email protected] April 28th 16 09:45 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 2:30:59 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/28/2016 07:47 AM, up il.com wrote:
[...]

I just ran the test by connecting the incoming wires ONLY to the 4 prong jack, red and green wires, then plugged in the rj11 jack and the phone by rj11 cord. No dial tone, no lights, D.E.A.D. So it's not my problem. It could be strike related, I might wait until the strike is over and see what happens. My diagnostic work is done. Thanks and kudos to all. THIS is tech support!

[email protected] April 28th 16 09:58 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:13:35 -0400, wrote:

The NID is the network interface disconnect "box" you talked about. He
has no dial tone, so it is a Bell issue. Verizon doesn't own the
wires, so why would they get involved?

It depends on where you live Verison is the dial tone provider in lots
of places. There is no "Ma Bell" anymore here and most former RBOC
phone companies have abandoned the name.

[email protected] April 28th 16 09:59 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, wrote:

was, in fact, MY problem. Which I fixed. neener neener..... ;)

He had no dial tone WHERE IT ENTERED THE HOUSE. So it;s his phone
provider's problem (bell or whoever) Dial tone and internet
connection are two totally different issues, although with a cut or
shorted wire he won't get either one. (someone put a shovel or stake
through the cable)

You wanna be right. Fine. You win. But, remember: I had NO DIAL
TONE "WHERE IT ENTERED THE HOUSE"!

Where it enters one's house is NOT the PA. The PA (point-of-access)
is where the point of demarcation is. It could be an NID or something
else. The point of demarcation is where the phone company's
responsibility ends and yers begins. It is often called the PA. It
could be an NID, a cable, or a single twisted pair. Whatever. Argue
with the OP. 8|

nb

Now if only someone would explain what a NID is .. .. .. ..

[email protected] April 28th 16 10:33 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

wrote:

The NID is the network interface disconnect "box" you talked about. He
has no dial tone, so it is a Bell issue. Verizon doesn't own the
wires, so why would they get involved?

It depends on where you live Verison is the dial tone provider in lots
of places. There is no "Ma Bell" anymore here and most former RBOC
phone companies have abandoned the name.

OK, whoevewr operates the central office is responsible for the dial
tone. Getting it to you may be the responsibility of a third party
depending where youl live. Makes for a real "pass the buck
cluster----."

[email protected] April 28th 16 10:36 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

Wade Garrett April 28th 16 11:25 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 4/28/16 8:47 AM, wrote:
[...]

Check for dial tone and service in the service connection box on the
outside of your house.

Unscrew/open the outer user-accessible door and plug in a known good
plain phone (no batteries or separate power connection required).

No signal there? It's the carrier's problem. Got a signal? it's your
problem.

--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law

trader_4 April 28th 16 11:47 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, wrote:

was, in fact, MY problem. Which I fixed. neener neener..... ;)

He had no dial tone WHERE IT ENTERED THE HOUSE. So it;s his phone
provider's problem (bell or whoever) Dial tone and internet
connection are two totally different issues, although with a cut or
shorted wire he won't get either one. (someone put a shovel or stake
through the cable)

You wanna be right. Fine. You win. But, remember: I had NO DIAL
TONE "WHERE IT ENTERED THE HOUSE"!

Where it enters one's house is NOT the PA. The PA (point-of-access)
is where the point of demarcation is.

I've never heard it called a PA, never heard the term before.

It could be an NID or something
else.

He said he has no NID.

The point of demarcation is where the phone company's
responsibility ends and yers begins. It is often called the PA. It
could be an NID, a cable, or a single twisted pair. Whatever. Argue
with the OP. 8|

nb

The OP is at the phone line where it enters the house. Sounds like
he's at the point where the phone company's responsibility ends and
his begins, so IDK what you're point is.

notbob April 28th 16 11:48 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, wrote:

Now if only someone would explain what a NID is .. .. .. ..

Have you heard of the internet?

notbob April 28th 16 11:56 PM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, Wade Garrett wrote:

Check for dial tone and service in the service connection box on the
outside of your house.

Also called an NID (network interface device) or a PA (point-of-access).

Unscrew/open the outer user-accessible door and plug in a known good
plain phone (no batteries or separate power connection required).

"user-accessible" side requires a flat-blade screwdriver to open. The carrier's side
(yer ISP) requires a security TORX driver.

No signal there? It's the carrier's problem. Got a signal? it's your
problem.

Gee, I've been saying the same thing, all morning. ;)

nb

trader_4 April 29th 16 12:02 AM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, Wade Garrett wrote:

Check for dial tone and service in the service connection box on the
outside of your house.

Also called an NID (network interface device) or a PA (point-of-access).

Unscrew/open the outer user-accessible door and plug in a known good
plain phone (no batteries or separate power connection required).

"user-accessible" side requires a flat-blade screwdriver to open. The carrier's side
(yer ISP) requires a security TORX driver.

No signal there? It's the carrier's problem. Got a signal? it's your
problem.

Gee, I've been saying the same thing, all morning. ;)

nb

I guess you missed the part where the OP said it's an older home and
there is no NID.

notbob April 29th 16 12:09 AM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, trader_4 wrote:

I guess you missed the part where the OP said it's an older home and
there is no NID.

I guess you missed the part where I keep referring to the point of
demarcation or PA (point-of-access) cuz the OP sed he doesn't have an
NID. Duh.

nb

trader_4 April 29th 16 12:51 AM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, trader_4 wrote:

I guess you missed the part where the OP said it's an older home and
there is no NID.

I guess you missed the part where I keep referring to the point of
demarcation or PA (point-of-access) cuz the OP sed he doesn't have an
NID. Duh.

nb

I guess you missed the part where in his very first post it was clear
to everyone but you that the OP was essentially there. He said he
was testing at the wire where it enters the building. And they don't
put a big flag, a sign, or any other marking on the wiring going into
his old house that says "DEMARCATION HERE".

He's at the point where it enters the building. He has no dial tone.
Time to call the phone company, that's what he's paying for.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] April 29th 16 12:59 AM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, trader_4 wrote:

I guess you missed the part where the OP said it's an older home and
there is no NID.

I guess you missed the part where I keep referring to the point of
demarcation or PA (point-of-access) cuz the OP sed he doesn't have an
NID. Duh.

nb

I guess you missed the part where in his very first post it was clear
to everyone but you that the OP was essentially there. He said he
was testing at the wire where it enters the building. And they don't
put a big flag, a sign, or any other marking on the wiring going into
his old house that says "DEMARCATION HERE".

He's at the point where it enters the building. He has no dial tone.
Time to call the phone company, that's what he's paying for.

I guess everyone missed every thing about this thread.

But, it did light up the board for a while.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected] April 29th 16 01:13 AM

Home Phone Wiring Repair

On 2016-04-28, wrote:

was, in fact, MY problem. Which I fixed. neener neener..... ;)

He had no dial tone WHERE IT ENTERED THE HOUSE. So it;s his phone
provider's problem (bell or whoever) Dial tone and internet
connection are two totally different issues, although with a cut or
shorted wire he won't get either one. (someone put a shovel or stake
through the cable)

You wanna be right. Fine. You win. But, remember: I had NO DIAL
TONE "WHERE IT ENTERED THE HOUSE"!

Where it enters one's house is NOT the PA. The PA (point-of-access)
is where the point of demarcation is. It could be an NID or something
else. The point of demarcation is where the phone company's
responsibility ends and yers begins. It is often called the PA. It
could be an NID, a cable, or a single twisted pair. Whatever. Argue
with the OP. 8|

nb

So you claim the point of demarkation or point of access esn't where
it enters the house???
Fine but now you are picking at straws just to have something to
dissagree with.