Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting rid of poison ivy

While cleaning up in the back yard, I noticed one 6 foot long vine of
poison ivy on a fence behind the work shop. I was going to go buy some
poison ivy killer from Lowes, but looked up if there was a natural way
to get rid of it. I found this info and wanted to know if anyone else
has tried this:

"Start with a gallon of white vinegar. The €śaverage€ť vinegar is 5%
acidic and will work just fine, but if you can find one thats 10% or
20% your mixture will be more potent. Pour the vinegar into a pot and
heat it over the stove. Add 1 cup of salt and stir until the salt
dissolves. Let it cool, then add 2 tablespoons of liquid dish soap.

Vinegar, when diluted with a gallon of water makes a good fertilizer for
acid-loving plants like azaleas, rhododendrons and blueberries. When
mixed full strength with salt, it works very much like Round-Up. The
dish soap helps the mixture to stick to the leaves."
http://mikesbackyardnursery.com/2014...ls-poison-ivy/

I mixed up a small hand sprayer version of this recipe and sprayed the
vines leaves while it was still hot. While the leaves were wet with the
mixture I sprinkled additional salt on the plants leaves. I know salt
will do damage to many plants and even prevent some from growing, so
added the extra salt in case of rain that might or might not clip us in
a couple of hours. I figure the salt will get washed into the soil
below the plant and do some damage that way, too.

Anyway, it's been about an hour since I sprayed it with the hot mixture
and the leaves are already wilting, but, it looks like we may get the
rain I thought was going to miss us. I can re-spray the leaves if need
be, so that isn't a problem.

My question is has anyone tried getting rid of poison ivy and what did
you have to resort to before it finally did the job. I've heard it's
hard to get rid of, but thought I'd try the natural method first before
resorting to dangerous chemicals.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2016 1:53 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I use the dangerous chemicals. You don't spray anything but the poison
ivy with them. If you want to glove and bundle up you could pull it and
bag it for the trash can. Lots of luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:53:03 -0500

From: Muggles
Subject: Getting rid of poison ivy
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:53:03 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

Oh good grief...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 12:55:41 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

I use the dangerous chemicals. You don't spray anything but the poison
ivy with them. If you want to glove and bundle up you could pull it and
bag it for the trash can. Lots of luck.

I'm with Frank. I use the dangerous chemicals as you want to
kill it, not just aggravate it. You want to kill the roots and
just hoping the salt will get to the roots is just, well hoping.
Without touching it, can you cut the vine close to the ground
and spray a real poison ivy killer on the cut portion?

Wear gloves, wear long sleeves if you decide to pull the vine
down after it's dead. Wash your clippers in hot soapy water
to kill the sap from the poison ivy. Whatever you do, DON'T
BURN THE VINES!

Let me repeat that DON'T BURN THE VINES!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 1:53:06 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

My question is has anyone tried getting rid of poison ivy and what did
you have to resort to before it finally did the job. I've heard it's
hard to get rid of, but thought I'd try the natural method first before
resorting to dangerous chemicals.

As danger goes, herbicides are not that dangerous. I generally
find poison ivy growing under desirable shrubs and trees (the
birds crap out the seeds while sitting on a branch). Rather than
just indiscriminately spraying herbicide, I sometimes cut back
the poison ivy, soak a piece of paper towel in Roundup for Poison Ivy,
wrap it around the remaining twig, and crimp some aluminum foil on
that. I wear disposable latex, vinyl, or nitrile gloves, and tape
them to the cuffs of my sleeves. I wear an old shirt, and discard
it afterward.

It works pretty well.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

imy front hill side got overwhelmed by poison ivy.....

tried pulling it just spread. tried repeated applications of poison ivy killer it just aggravated it.

came here looking for a solution.

a poster here solved it. he said mix poision ivy killer 50% with roundup.

sprayed it in morning by evening is was dying. broke some federal laws, but it worked.

i have some perenials planted by my mom who died many years ago..

i had a couple landscapers come by but they insisted on killing everything on that hillside.

use the noxious chemicals before you or yours get poision ivy and are put on predisone. thats nasty and makes me very ill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 2:41:57 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Roundup works fine.

Once in a while I really do have to cut some.

First I spray it with hairspray, then work a plastic bag over it, then cut with shears that I immediately wash. I haven't had any trouble doing it this way and I am highly allergic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:59:50 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

imy front hill side got overwhelmed by poison ivy.....

tried pulling it just spread. tried repeated applications of poison ivy killer it just aggravated it.

came here looking for a solution.

a poster here solved it. he said mix poision ivy killer 50% with roundup.

I remember the thread.

sprayed it in morning by evening is was dying. broke some federal laws, but it worked.

No worry. I've never seen a federal prisoner in the pokey for killing
poison ivy. Harassing a bear and stealing government fish, yes I did
see those cases :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/16 1:53 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Ya know it works even better if you add the eye of a newt, the toe of a
frog, and two ounces of Diet Coke.

--
History teaches us that men and nations only behave wisely once they
have exhausted all other alternatives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 1:55:41 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/26/2016 1:53 PM, Muggles wrote:
While cleaning up in the back yard, I noticed one 6 foot long vine of
poison ivy on a fence behind the work shop. I was going to go buy some
poison ivy killer from Lowes, but looked up if there was a natural way
to get rid of it. I found this info and wanted to know if anyone else
has tried this:

"Start with a gallon of white vinegar. The "average" vinegar is 5%
[...]

Glyphosate (Roundup) works for me, at about 5% concentration.
Some may be harder to kill, in which case the brush killer products work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:37:36 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

Whatever you do, DON'T BURN THE VINES!

Let me repeat that DON'T BURN THE VINES!

Let me add to that. DON"T BURN THE VINES!

You can die.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 1:41:57 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I sometimes cut back
the poison ivy, soak a piece of paper towel in Roundup for Poison Ivy,
wrap it around the remaining twig, and crimp some aluminum foil on
that.

Cindy Hamilton

What does the aluminum foil do? Keep the plant moist so the
Roundup does dry up? Whatever, it does sound interesting.

I have made 'collars' for offending plants and for the desirable
plants as well. Either to concentrate the spray or to protect
the desirable plant from overspray. Cardboard bent around whichever
plant works very well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 2:00:59 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

Once in a while I really do have to cut some.

First I spray it with hairspray, then work a plastic bag over it, then cut with shears that I immediately wash. I haven't had any trouble doing it this way and I am highly allergic.

Interesting! What does the hairspray do??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:41:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

If it's just a few plants, I'd likely just pour a small amount of
gasoline on the roots. (a half cup or so). It's not natural, but
effective and pretty safe (as long as you dont ignite it), and pretty
cheap for just a few plants.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 12:55:41 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

I use the dangerous chemicals. You don't spray anything but the poison
ivy with them. If you want to glove and bundle up you could pull it and
bag it for the trash can. Lots of luck.

I'm with Frank. I use the dangerous chemicals as you want to
kill it, not just aggravate it. You want to kill the roots and
just hoping the salt will get to the roots is just, well hoping.
Without touching it, can you cut the vine close to the ground
and spray a real poison ivy killer on the cut portion?

Wear gloves, wear long sleeves if you decide to pull the vine
down after it's dead. Wash your clippers in hot soapy water
to kill the sap from the poison ivy. Whatever you do, DON'T
BURN THE VINES!

Let me repeat that DON'T BURN THE VINES!

One thing that works - not "legal" is a mix of diesel fuel and
roundup.. Just a few onces of DF per gallon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

imy front hill side got overwhelmed by poison ivy.....

tried pulling it just spread. tried repeated applications of poison ivy killer it just aggravated it.

came here looking for a solution.

a poster here solved it. he said mix poision ivy killer 50% with roundup.

I remember the thread.

sprayed it in morning by evening is was dying. broke some federal laws, but it worked.

No worry. I've never seen a federal prisoner in the pokey for killing
poison ivy. Harassing a bear and stealing government fish, yes I did
see those cases :-)

Don't forget picking up an eagle feather from the forest floor. We have drug cartels and terrorists killing innocent citizens and resources are being wasted on that kind of nonsense. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Forest Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When I was a youngling wandering about the town and going places where I wasn't supposed to, I watched the railroad crews spraying diesel fuel from the putt putt cars along the rail bed to kill the grass that would take root there. This was long before there was an EPA. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Town Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 15:47:53 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

When I was a youngling [...] I watched the railroad crews
spraying diesel fuel from the putt putt cars along the rail bed

Uncle M, did you ever see someone actually using a handcar? I did.

They hadn't used them in decades when I was a tyke, but I they still had
them around in the railyards, and I'm guessing that the putt-putts had all
gone ka-putt and there was a guy who really needed to get somewhere.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 20:12:23 -0400, Mike Duffy
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 15:47:53 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

When I was a youngling [...] I watched the railroad crews
spraying diesel fuel from the putt putt cars along the rail bed

Uncle M, did you ever see someone actually using a handcar? I did.

They hadn't used them in decades when I was a tyke, but I they still had
them around in the railyards, and I'm guessing that the putt-putts had all
gone ka-putt and there was a guy who really needed to get somewhere.

For at least the last 30-40 years all I see is a pickup truck with the
flip down rail road wheels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 7:12:23 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 15:47:53 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

When I was a youngling [...] I watched the railroad crews
spraying diesel fuel from the putt putt cars along the rail bed

Uncle M, did you ever see someone actually using a handcar? I did.

They hadn't used them in decades when I was a tyke, but I they still had
them around in the railyards, and I'm guessing that the putt-putts had all
gone ka-putt and there was a guy who really needed to get somewhere.
--

I think I saw a handcar when I was a kid but that was back in the last century. The putt putt cars made me laugh because of the sound they made. I saw them all the time when I was a kid hanging around the railyard. I found some videos and the older gasoline powered cars make the classic putt putt sound. There's even a steam car in the video. They call them "Rail Speeders". I expected to see an Imperial Stormtrooper riding one. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT4UqK9zcs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlVgUrdvgME

[8~{} Uncle Rail Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 15:47:53 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

When I was a youngling [...] I watched the railroad crews
spraying diesel fuel from the putt putt cars along the rail bed

Uncle M, did you ever see someone actually using a handcar? I did.

They hadn't used them in decades when I was a tyke, but I they still had
them around in the railyards, and I'm guessing that the putt-putts had all
gone ka-putt and there was a guy who really needed to get somewhere.

For at least the last 30-40 years all I see is a pickup truck with the
flip down rail road wheels.

A fellow in one of the videos said the railroads retired the speeders in the 1980's and went to the pickup trucks fitted with rail wheels. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Speeder Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2016 4:20 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 4/26/16 1:53 PM, Muggles wrote:
My question is has anyone tried getting rid of poison ivy and what did
you have to resort to before it finally did the job. I've heard it's
hard to get rid of, but thought I'd try the natural method first before
resorting to dangerous chemicals.

Ya know it works even better if you add the eye of a newt, the toe of a
frog, and two ounces of Diet Coke.

When my Mom used to make that mix, she used
Mountain Dew. Maybe that explains why the
vines grew to the sky, and the booming voice
came from the sky. Some thing about fe fi fo
fum, I smell the blood of an English bum.
The big guy climbing down from the sky got all
rash and itchy from the poison ivy vine. Mom
ought have used Diet Coke.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Please let us know what works. Couple days
from now, send another post through the list.
I'm sure plenty of readers will benefit from
a field tester report.

I've heard that burning poison ivy vaporizes
the poison chemical. People who touch or
breathe the smoke or vapors can get poison.
Allergic person who breathes the vapor might
die from lung trouble.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 20:04:48 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

that. I wear disposable latex, vinyl, or nitrile gloves, and tape
them to the cuffs of my sleeves. I wear an old shirt, and discard
it afterward.

It works pretty well.

Cindy Hamilton

If it's just a few plants, I'd likely just pour a small amount of
gasoline on the roots. (a half cup or so). It's not natural, but
effective and pretty safe (as long as you dont ignite it), and pretty
cheap for just a few plants.

i have used that all my lifetime to kill weeds in concrete driveways etc

Same here!
I probably use $10 worth of gas each year for this sort of thing. A
gallon jug of Roundup was around $25 the last time I looked. The gas
evaporates after doing it's job, so I dont think it's all that bad for
the environment, or at least no worse than the costly chemicals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:12:23 PM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 15:47:53 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

When I was a youngling [...] I watched the railroad crews
spraying diesel fuel from the putt putt cars along the rail bed

Uncle M, did you ever see someone actually using a handcar? I did.

They hadn't used them in decades when I was a tyke, but I they still had
them around in the railyards, and I'm guessing that the putt-putts had all
gone ka-putt and there was a guy who really needed to get somewhere.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

hey at a fall festival in mars pa I got to actually use one of those pump handcars. they stopped letting people ride it for liability concerns. it was hard work but a bucket list kinda item. from watching the old petticoat junction tv show
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 5:09:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Let me repeat that DON'T BURN THE VINES!

One thing that works - not "legal" is a mix of diesel fuel and
roundup.. Just a few ounces of DF per gallon.

Most of my city sidewalk is a bit aged and grass and weeds like
to pop up in those cracks that come with age. I used to put
gasoline in a plastic bottle and put one of those dishwashing
pop up caps on it. I was able to direct the just where I wanted
it and had no weeds for about 5 months. Now I use that bottle to
put a solution of Roundup in it and have no weeds or grass in
those cracks until the next year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 10:33:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I probably use $10 worth of gas each year for this sort of thing. A
gallon jug of Roundup was around $25 the last time I looked. The gas
evaporates after doing it's job, so I dont think it's all that bad for
the environment, or at least no worse than the costly chemicals.

I've bought the quart bottle of Roundup and yes it was expensive
but that quart will make several gallons of the solution. Last
time I bought any I got Home Depots brand and can tell no
difference in it and Roundup. H.D. brand was about $5 cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Whatever you do, DON'T BURN THE VINES!

Let me repeat that DON'T BURN THE VINES!

Let me add to that. DON"T BURN THE VINES!

You can die.

Only if you're dumb enough to stand downwind of the burn pile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 5:50:32 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 2:00:59 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

Once in a while I really do have to cut some.

First I spray it with hairspray, then work a plastic bag over it, then cut with shears that I immediately wash. I haven't had any trouble doing it this way and I am highly allergic.

Interesting! What does the hairspray do??

The hairspray puts a little coating over the leaves so that an accidental brush or bump doesn't transfer oil to you.

At least, that's the theory.

I don't really know how much difference it makes but I feel better doing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This appears to be a really tough subject
for all the "experts" here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 08:38:24 -0400, burfordTjustice wrote:

This appears to be a really tough subject
for all the "experts" here.

Well, some are ivy league.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've heard that burning poison ivy vaporizes
the poison chemical. People who touch or
breathe the smoke or vapors can get poison.
Allergic person who breathes the vapor might
die from lung trouble.

yep, that can be a bad move. since i am
reactive to poison ivy and many other plants
i have to be aware of what i'm going into and
keep covered up (then wash things well after-
wards).

here i cut poison ivy back and dig out
the roots that i can get at. it is not a
fast growing vine so manual methods will
work if you are persistent (and careful
about what you are doing).

the thing is that birds/animals will drop
seeds and you can have it return from seeds
previously dropped. so you must do status
checks once in a while to keep it from coming
back.

i would never use salt in any area i was
planning on growing something.

songbird

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2016 10:29 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 08:38:24 -0400, burfordTjustice wrote:

This appears to be a really tough subject
for all the "experts" here.

Well, some are ivy league.

Don't plant any ideas.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 11:31:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/27/2016 10:29 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 08:38:24 -0400, burfordTjustice wrote:

This appears to be a really tough subject
for all the "experts" here.

Well, some are ivy league.

Don't plant any ideas.

No problem we can roundup all of them

rat poison ss UK diy 13 November 4th 12 08:47 PM
Poison ivy Cheryl[_2_] Home Repair 34 July 29th 10 02:33 PM
Help with Poison Ivy [email protected] Home Repair 19 August 23rd 07 12:08 AM
Help with Poison Ivy [email protected] Home Ownership 0 August 22nd 07 08:47 AM
Poison it! John Ings Metalworking 1 November 21st 03 08:38 PM