Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alarm/siren location

I want to install a couple of these:
https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/Sounding-Devices/wave-indoor-sounder/21674.html
*inside* the house, tied into the alarm and "fire" systems.

But, don't want to *see* them (i.e., hanging on a wall).

The only two options that come to mind are to:
- set them *in* the ceiling behind a decorative grating/grillwork
- fasten them to the interior of a closet (and expect some
attenuation due to the closet door being closed

Inside a duct would also be good -- probably REALLY good as it would
also serve as an acoustical conduit -- but I think disallowed (code).

Note that the enclosure is essential to the performance of the
device as it is, in effect, a folded horn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 11:53:24 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
I want to install a couple of these:
https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/Sounding-Devices/wave-indoor-sounder/21674.html
*inside* the house, tied into the alarm and "fire" systems.

But, don't want to *see* them (i.e., hanging on a wall).

The only two options that come to mind are to:
- set them *in* the ceiling behind a decorative grating/grillwork
- fasten them to the interior of a closet (and expect some
attenuation due to the closet door being closed

Inside a duct would also be good -- probably REALLY good as it would
also serve as an acoustical conduit -- but I think disallowed (code).

Note that the enclosure is essential to the performance of the
device as it is, in effect, a folded horn.

Behind the refrigerator? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fridge Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 12:53:24 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
I want to install a couple of these:
https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/Sounding-Devices/wave-indoor-sounder/21674.html
*inside* the house, tied into the alarm and "fire" systems.

But, don't want to *see* them (i.e., hanging on a wall).

set it up as part of the door bell enclosure

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2016 10:02 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 11:53:24 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
I want to install a couple of these:
https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/Sounding-Devices/wave-indoor-sounder/21674.html
*inside* the house, tied into the alarm and "fire" systems.

But, don't want to *see* them (i.e., hanging on a wall).

The only two options that come to mind are to:
- set them *in* the ceiling behind a decorative grating/grillwork
- fasten them to the interior of a closet (and expect some
attenuation due to the closet door being closed

Inside a duct would also be good -- probably REALLY good as it would
also serve as an acoustical conduit -- but I think disallowed (code).

Note that the enclosure is essential to the performance of the
device as it is, in effect, a folded horn.

Behind the refrigerator? ^_^

Oooo! That's a good idea! Refrigerator has a FIXED location
(unlike any other thing I might choose to hide it behind).
And, has "venting" to the top and sides (whereas a closet
does not).

And, as the refrigerator always hides it, I could afford to
recess it INTO the wall (otherwise, its thickness would have
it largely obstructed by the narrowness of the gap behind
the refrigerator).

Excellent! Now I just have to find "another refrigerator"
on the other end of the house... :

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 14:16:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/25/2016 1:22 PM, Don Y wrote:

And, as the refrigerator always hides it, I could afford to
recess it INTO the wall (otherwise, its thickness would have
it largely obstructed by the narrowness of the gap behind
the refrigerator).

Excellent! Now I just have to find "another refrigerator"
on the other end of the house... :

Laundry room?

Recessed in a wall, then hang the framed Picasso over it. Or the
Rembrandt painting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/16 1:22 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Behind/under toilet tank ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 1:44:07 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
On 4/25/16 1:22 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Imagine if the siren went off when you were sitting on the toilet. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Toilet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/16 12:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
I want to install a couple of these:
https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/Sounding-Devices/wave-indoor-sounder/21674.html

*inside* the house, tied into the alarm and "fire" systems.

But, don't want to *see* them (i.e., hanging on a wall).

The only two options that come to mind are to:
- set them *in* the ceiling behind a decorative grating/grillwork
- fasten them to the interior of a closet (and expect some
attenuation due to the closet door being closed

Inside a duct would also be good -- probably REALLY good as it would
also serve as an acoustical conduit -- but I think disallowed (code).

Note that the enclosure is essential to the performance of the
device as it is, in effect, a folded horn.

Just tell your wife it's really OK if they can be seen. Take her out to
a nice dinner. Problem solved;-)

--
Just finished leftover fried chicken and a Hostess Cupcake€” because
breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2016 12:14 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 4/25/16 12:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
I want to install a couple of these:
https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/Sounding-Devices/wave-indoor-sounder/21674.html

*inside* the house, tied into the alarm and "fire" systems.

But, don't want to *see* them (i.e., hanging on a wall).

Just tell your wife it's really OK if they can be seen. Take her out to a nice
dinner. Problem solved;-)

*I'm* the one who objects to "wall clutter". She'd frown and move on.
I, OTOH, have been removing all the bits of kit from walls, shelves, etc.

(all that presently remains are the smoke/CO detectors; I can't see
how to rid myself of those while still retaining the protections they
provide)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/16 1:22 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

frown After reading "Retired's" suggestion, I seriously considered it.
Yeah, it sounds kinda "icky" but no one really looks under the WC!

OTOH, your comment about it "sounding" while you're seated above it
would empty your bowels in a heartbeat (or less!). There's also
the issue of hearing damage in that proximity (it's not like
you'd be able to quickly move away -- with your pants down around
your ankles...)

[These are VERY loud]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2016 11:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/25/2016 1:22 PM, Don Y wrote:

And, as the refrigerator always hides it, I could afford to
recess it INTO the wall (otherwise, its thickness would have
it largely obstructed by the narrowness of the gap behind
the refrigerator).

Excellent! Now I just have to find "another refrigerator"
on the other end of the house... :

Laundry room?

That might work -- behind the washer/dryer. And, is actually closer
to the "far end" of the house (refrigerator is more centrally located).
But, leaves me harder-pressed to find something at the OTHER end
of the house.

The ductwork really looks like it would be ideal! Maybe I can
find a way to use it as a conduit without locating the siren
*in* it (i.e., outside but directed towards it?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 13:04:24 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

That might work -- behind the washer/dryer. And, is actually closer
to the "far end" of the house (refrigerator is more centrally located).
But, leaves me harder-pressed to find something at the OTHER end
of the house.

Got a water heater back there somewhere?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2016 4:04 PM, Don Y wrote:

The ductwork really looks like it would be ideal! Maybe I can
find a way to use it as a conduit without locating the siren
*in* it (i.e., outside but directed towards it?)

Most HVAC guys can do this kind of thing
easy enough. I ought to be able to.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 09:53:05 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

I want to install a couple of these:
https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/Sounding-Devices/wave-indoor-sounder/21674.html
*inside* the house, tied into the alarm and "fire" systems.

But, don't want to *see* them (i.e., hanging on a wall).

The only two options that come to mind are to:
- set them *in* the ceiling behind a decorative grating/grillwork
- fasten them to the interior of a closet (and expect some
attenuation due to the closet door being closed

3) I already had a piece of weaving hung on the wall, maybe 1' wide
and almost 2' high, when I wanted to put in glass/wood breakage
detectors. One facing the back of the house, one facing the front. I
didn't mind if they showed but the hanging was already there, so put
it in and put the hanging back, over it, and it works fine and can't
be seen. Things a lot denser than a weaving would probably work
too.