Posted to alt.home.repair

Default one year old Murray trimmer gets weaker and stalls with throttle

Just picked up a 2 cycle Murray trimmer late last Summer after my prior
Weedeater finally gave up the ghost. Used it the other day for the
first time this season and there were two things I couldn't do: run it
without throttle or run it at 3/4 to full throttle. In both cases, it
would either get weaker, stall, or both. What could already be wrong
with this essentially brand new trimmer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/19/2016 06:29 AM, Sam Seagate wrote:
Just picked up a 2 cycle Murray trimmer late last Summer after my prior
Weedeater finally gave up the ghost. Used it the other day for the
first time this season and there were two things I couldn't do: run it
without throttle or run it at 3/4 to full throttle. In both cases, it
would either get weaker, stall, or both. What could already be wrong
with this essentially brand new trimmer?

I'd start with servicing the air cleaner, and checking the choke linkage
while you're in there. Changing the plug won't hurt anything, and it
will eliminate that as a problem spot.

This assumes you ran it dry last year and put fresh, properly-mixed fuel
in it this year.

Beyond that you'll probably need to adjust the carb, which takes a bit
of doing on modern two-cycle engines, as they lock out those adjustments
without a special tool (or a clever way to defeat it).

If you do get it running but it still dies at idle, you will need to
turn up the throttle adjustment a little to keep it from staling, but
only after you go through everything else.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/19/2016 09:39 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 04/19/2016 06:29 AM, Sam Seagate wrote:
Just picked up a 2 cycle Murray trimmer late last Summer after my prior
Weedeater finally gave up the ghost. Used it the other day for the
first time this season and there were two things I couldn't do: run it
without throttle or run it at 3/4 to full throttle. In both cases, it
would either get weaker, stall, or both. What could already be wrong
with this essentially brand new trimmer?

I'd start with servicing the air cleaner, and checking the choke linkage
while you're in there. Changing the plug won't hurt anything, and it
will eliminate that as a problem spot.

This assumes you ran it dry last year and put fresh, properly-mixed fuel
in it this year.

I do always buy premixed fuel, but did not run it dry last year. Damn,
always forget to do this. I'll bet the carb lines are clogged.

Beyond that you'll probably need to adjust the carb, which takes a bit
of doing on modern two-cycle engines, as they lock out those adjustments
without a special tool (or a clever way to defeat it).

If you do get it running but it still dies at idle, you will need to
turn up the throttle adjustment a little to keep it from staling, but
only after you go through everything else.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 8:29:09 AM UTC-5, Sam Seagate wrote:
Just picked up a 2 cycle Murray trimmer late last Summer after my prior
Weedeater finally gave up the ghost. Used it the other day for the
first time this season and there were two things I couldn't do: run it
without throttle or run it at 3/4 to full throttle. In both cases, it
would either get weaker, stall, or both. What could already be wrong
with this essentially brand new trimmer?

Are you using a "low ash" oil? Check the exhaust port for build-up...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/16 10:24 AM, Sam Seagate wrote:
[...]

A real big can of carburetor cleaner (with tube extension) is your
friend....as is nice fresh gas.

Pull the carb if it's easy to get at...or remove the plastic priming
squeeze bowl and spray it up good in there. Maybe try spraying a little
bit into the air intake (with air cleaner removed) when it's running at
max speed.

Open the fuel cap and pull the hose with the fuel filter out of the gas
tank (a curved dental pick works well or fashion a hook out of wire coat
hanger) and remove the filter. Run the engine with the filter removed
to diagnose if that was the problem. If it is, spray or replace the filter.

This fall, definitely remember to run it dry;-)

--
If your intention was to do me harm, wouldn't you first attempt to
disarm me?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Seagate posted for all of us...

Just picked up a 2 cycle Murray trimmer late last Summer after my prior
Weedeater finally gave up the ghost. Used it the other day for the
first time this season and there were two things I couldn't do: run it
without throttle or run it at 3/4 to full throttle. In both cases, it
would either get weaker, stall, or both. What could already be wrong
with this essentially brand new trimmer?

User error on usage and storage and lack of goggle search.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/19/2016 12:42 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Wade, but despite your suggestions, I couldn't get it unclogged.
I didn't soak it for a day or two in carb fluid and perhaps I should
have. Instead, I opted for a new one. The number was 753-06190 and
these are all over eBay. Ordered one, it arrived today, and
installation was a simple 10 min job with the trimmer like new again.
Didn't need to make any adjustments, although a carb to air filter/
choke gasket wasn't included and I carefully peeled the old one from the
clogged carb. I still may try just soaking the old carb in carb
cleaning fluid for a while, thoughts?

Sam