Posted to alt.home.repair

Default worried about contaminating in clean water pipe

i've notices some black hard bits (look like gravel but smaller) in my tub
these couple of days and i think they come out of the shower. i'm worried
there are leaks on the sewer drain pipe and on clean water pipe (that i use
water from it to have shower) and the waste from sewer drain water can get
into the clean water pipe and make the shower water contaminated. do you think
that possible? I'm really worried because i have a 1.5 year old baby in the
house and there are lots of harmful viruses and bacterias in sewage !

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...pe-884106-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2016 1:44 PM, vipavee wrote:
i've notices some black hard bits (look like gravel but smaller) in my tub
these couple of days and i think they come out of the shower. i'm worried
there are leaks on the sewer drain pipe and on clean water pipe (that i use
water from it to have shower) and the waste from sewer drain water can
get
into the clean water pipe and make the shower water contaminated. do you
think
that possible? I'm really worried because i have a 1.5 year old baby in the
house and there are lots of harmful viruses and bacterias in sewage !

Water pipes are pressurized, sewer pipes are not. Sewer will not leak
into a pressurized pipe. Black stiff can be sediment, sand, rock,
minerals in the water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 14:00:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/10/2016 1:44 PM, vipavee wrote:
i've notices some black hard bits (look like gravel but smaller) in my tub
these couple of days and i think they come out of the shower. i'm worried
there are leaks on the sewer drain pipe and on clean water pipe (that i use
water from it to have shower) and the waste from sewer drain water can
get
into the clean water pipe and make the shower water contaminated. do you
think
that possible? I'm really worried because i have a 1.5 year old baby in the
house and there are lots of harmful viruses and bacterias in sewage !

Water pipes are pressurized, sewer pipes are not. Sewer will not leak
into a pressurized pipe. Black stiff can be sediment, sand, rock,
minerals in the water.

A good possibility would be sulfur.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

yes, we get a black residue which builds up on the
inside of water pipes and can become small grits to plug
the shower head. whenever we get any work done we have
to flush the pipes to get it back to clear. it is harmless.

remove the shower head and run the water full blast to
flush out the pipe once in a while.

if the hot water heater is not a self-cleaning model it
may also be a good idea to flush the hot water heater out
once in a while too (make sure it is unplugged or turned off
before emptying and flushing it out). i usually turn ours
off, take a shower and do some laundry so that the hot water
is not going to waste and then flush it out.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 13:21:43 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

[...]

Does the OP have a water softener or carbon filters in the potable
water system?
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 15:13:30 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 14:00:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/10/2016 1:44 PM, vipavee wrote:
i've notices some black hard bits (look like gravel but smaller) in my tub
these couple of days and i think they come out of the shower. i'm worried

ONly the shower? What about the bathroom and kitchen sinks, what
about the toilet? Sometimes when a leak is fixed anywhere upstream
from your house dirt gets in the pipes and it takes a couple hours or
longer to be flushed out, through customers faucets.

there are leaks on the sewer drain pipe and on clean water pipe (that i use
water from it to have shower) and the waste from sewer drain water can
get
into the clean water pipe and make the shower water contaminated. do you
think
that possible? I'm really worried because i have a 1.5 year old baby in the

No, not possible. The bits have nothing to do with your sewer.

[...]

Unless you have a small tank or a big shower and washing machine,
there may be still plenty of hot water left in the tank.

At any rate, even the people here who think flushing the bottom of the
water heater is a good idea, and many don't for more than one reason,
even they think it's only worth flushing out a couple quarts or a
gallon, not the whole tank. (In fact if you check and there is no
sediment, or no more sediment, coming out, there is no point to
draining more out of the tank. If there is enough to warrant
draining, I would think you would see the sediment in the water. I
don't know. I've been here 33 years and never flushed a tank.)

It also depends on the water where you live. I had to change a water
heater that was about 6 years old iirc, and I cut it open to see what
was inside. Only about a tablespoon of sediment. At that rate, it
would have taken hundreds of years for the sediment to build up enough
reach the electric heating element. Other areas may have more
sediment. IIUC if you have a gas water heater, the heater is
outside the tank, so the sediment will never reach it.

songbird

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Vipavee wrote:
Thank you very very much for your reply. Much appreciate ðŸ™ðŸ™