Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater: Should I be worried?

Hi all;

I replaced a water heater about a year ago with a Whirlpool.

Sometimes, but not always, I can hear faint splash and sizzle noises
coming from it, like a drop of water hitting something hot every few
seconds. It doesn't persist long. THe unit works very well, and
there's no indication of external leakage.

Is this normal, or is something amiss?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 12:10�pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
Hi all;

I replaced a water heater about a year ago with a Whirlpool.

Sometimes, but not always, I can hear faint splash and sizzle noises
coming from it, like a drop of water hitting something hot every few
seconds. �It doesn't persist long. THe unit �works very well, and
there's no indication of external leakage.

Is this normal, or is something amiss?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

if you live in a high humidity area, with cold incoming water
condensation will cause that.

any signs of water leaks at the tank
Posted to alt.home.repair

if you live in a high humidity area, with cold incoming water
condensation will cause that.

any signs of water leaks at the tank

No, the unit is pretty visible, and I can see underneath it well, no
leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 12:29�pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
if you live in a high humidity area, with cold incoming water

condensation will cause that.

any signs of water leaks at the tank

No, the unit is pretty visible, and I can see underneath it well, no
leaks.

then forget about it, but since its still under warranty call the
manufacturer and ask.

noise is hard to pin down, some folks are very sensitive, others
seemingly cant hear the exact same noise.

only be concerned if a leak can do bad damage, like if tanks in a
finshed game room
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 12:10*pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
Hi all;

I replaced a water heater about a year ago with a Whirlpool.

Sometimes, but not always, I can hear faint splash and sizzle noises
coming from it, like a drop of water hitting something hot every few
seconds. *It doesn't persist long. THe unit *works very well, and
there's no indication of external leakage.

Is this normal, or is something amiss?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

You didn't say if it was gas or electric, but I'll tell you my story
anyway...

I had a gas water heater that sprung a pin-hole leak right near the
top of the flue tube. The leak was not a drip, but a "mist" that shot
from the unit whenever it was under pressure. When the burner was on,
the mist would get caught in the rising flue gases, hit the inverted
funnel on the flue pipe and condense, dripping back down onto the top
of the unit. I can't recall if it sizzled, in fact I don't even recall
what caught my attention and made me investigate the problem. It was
actually pretty interesting. If I turned the burner off, no drip. As
soon as I would turn it back on, water would start dripping off the
funnel.

Perhaps you have a similiar situation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You didn't say if it was gas or electric, but I'll tell you my story
anyway...

I had a gas water heater that sprung a pin-hole leak right near the
top of the flue tube. The leak was not a drip, but a "mist" that shot
from the unit whenever it was under pressure. When the burner was on,
the mist would get caught in the rising flue gases, hit the inverted
funnel on the flue pipe and condense, dripping back down onto the top
of the unit. I can't recall if it sizzled, in fact I don't even recall
what caught my attention and made me investigate the problem. It was
actually pretty interesting. If I turned the burner off, no drip. As
soon as I would turn it back on, water would start dripping off the
funnel.

Perhaps you have a similiar situation?

It's gas. The sizzle seems to be coming from down low on the unit,
near the flame. No sign of any water or steam or mist. I live in
northern CA and it's been rainey and cool, condensation is a real
possibility.

I'll keep an eye on it and check back.

-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zz Yzx wrote:
Hi all;

I replaced a water heater about a year ago with a Whirlpool.

Sometimes, but not always, I can hear faint splash and sizzle noises
coming from it, like a drop of water hitting something hot every few
seconds. It doesn't persist long. THe unit works very well, and
there's no indication of external leakage.

Is this normal, or is something amiss?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Probably normal condensation dripping through the flue pipe. My WH had a
notice about that in the owners manual and I think there is also note on
a label affixed to the WH.
Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 1:14*pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

If it's leaking down inside the flue tube, I don't think you'd be able
to see it unless you pulled the flue and looked straight down into the
tube with a flashlight. It could be dripping down onto the hot burner
or something that the pilot light is keeping warm. Just a thought...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 1:36�pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 23, 1:14�pm, Zz Yzx wrote:

[...]

or something that the pilot light is keeping warm. Just a thought...- Hide quoted text -

theres a flame deflector inside the inner tube, doutbful to see the
entire tube
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 1:14�pm, Zz Yzx wrote:

[...]

entire tube- Hide quoted text -

True...maybe that's where his sizzling is coming from - a leak inside
the tube above the deflector.

A leak below the deflector might never be found, unless the unit was
allowed to cool to a point where the water didn't evaporate,
eventually pooling enough to appear on the floor.