Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater: Should I be worried?

On Jan 23, 1:36�pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 23, 1:14�pm, Zz Yzx wrote:

You didn't say if it was gas or electric, but I'll tell you my story
anyway...

I had a gas water heater that sprung a pin-hole leak right near the
top of the flue tube. The leak was not a drip, but a "mist" that shot
from the unit whenever it was under pressure. �When the burner was on,
the mist would get caught in the rising flue gases, hit the inverted
funnel on the flue pipe and condense, dripping back down onto the top
of the unit. I can't recall if it sizzled, in fact I don't even recall
what caught my attention and made me investigate the problem. It was
actually pretty interesting. If I turned the burner off, no drip. As
soon as I would turn it back on, water would start dripping off the
funnel.

Perhaps you have a similiar situation?

It's gas. �The sizzle seems to be coming from down low on the unit,
near the flame. �No sign of any water or steam or mist. �I live in
northern CA and it's been rainey and cool, condensation is a real
possibility.

I'll keep an eye on it and check back.

-Zz

If it's leaking down inside the flue tube, I don't think you'd be able
to see it unless you pulled the flue and looked straight down into the
tube with a flashlight. It could be dripping down onto the hot burner
or something that the pilot light is keeping warm. Just a thought...- Hide quoted text -

theres a flame deflector inside the inner tube, doutbful to see the
entire tube