Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about insulating my shed to make it a home office

I am looking to turn my new (to me) wooden shed into my home office. It has wood siding and double pane windows. I want to add electrical and insulate/drywall it so it can be used as a home office. I am fine on the electrical and drywall, but have some questions about the insulation.

Since it is a low pitch roof with no ridge, how should I be ventilating it (or do I not need to)? There is no attic and the plan was to insulate it and have the fiberglass batting flush up against the roof sheeting. I don't want to have issues with condensation/mold in the future though. The shed will not have AC or heat. The roof is asphalt shingles over felt roof paper (no insulation between sheeting and paper.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Pic of shed - http://i.imgur.com/if1HJum.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2016 12:16 AM, Chris Karnacki wrote:
I am looking to turn my new (to me) wooden shed into my home office. It has wood siding and double pane windows. I want to add electrical and insulate/drywall it so it can be used as a home office. I am fine on the electrical and drywall, but have some questions about the insulation.

Since it is a low pitch roof with no ridge, how should I be ventilating it (or do I not need to)? There is no attic and the plan was to insulate it and have the fiberglass batting flush up against the roof sheeting. I don't want to have issues with condensation/mold in the future though. The shed will not have AC or heat. The roof is asphalt shingles over felt roof paper (no insulation between sheeting and paper.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Pic of shed - http://i.imgur.com/if1HJum.jpg

You may be better off with rigid foam insulation. There is a lot of
information at www.insofast.com I used their panels in my basement and
they are easy to install.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 21:16:27 -0700 (PDT), Chris Karnacki
wrote:

I am looking to turn my new (to me) wooden shed into my home office. It has wood siding and double pane windows. I want to add electrical and insulate/drywall it so it can be used as a home office. I am fine on the electrical and drywall, but have some questions about the insulation.

Since it is a low pitch roof with no ridge, how should I be ventilating it (or do I not need to)? There is no attic and the plan was to insulate it and have the fiberglass batting flush up against the roof sheeting. I don't want to have issues with condensation/mold in the future though. The shed will not have AC or heat. The roof is asphalt shingles over felt roof paper (no insulation between sheeting and paper.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Pic of shed - http://i.imgur.com/if1HJum.jpg

put sheathing on the inside of the rafters, then strap and insulate,
applying wallboard to the cieling over the insulation. You can use
steel studs for the strapping.. Vent above the sheathing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since it is a low pitch roof with no ridge, how should I be ventilating it
(or do I not need to)? There is no attic and the plan was to insulate it and
have the fiberglass batting flush up against the roof sheeting. I don't want
to have issues with condensation/mold in the future though. The shed will
not have AC or heat. The roof is asphalt shingles over felt roof paper (no
insulation between sheeting and paper.

It doesn't look like you have the height for much
insulation. If it were me I think I'd put fiberglass
bats between the rafters. I wouldn't worry about
venting the ceiling, though if there's room you could
put small vents on either end and leave a bit of space,
to vent some of the heat coming from the roof itself.
There's no reason that you need vapor barrier inside,
since you clearly live in a warmish place and you're
only dealing with a single, small room. So any moisture
in the ceiling can migrate out. (The appeal of a vapor
barrier is to maintain interior humidity.)

Also fiberglass for the walls. As Ed said, panels
are less messy to work with, but you don't get much
insulation out of them and it's hard to fit them snugly.

If it were me and I was concerned about Summer
heat I might also consider awnings, if any windows
get direct sun. Such a small building could heat up
quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 12:16:31 AM UTC-4, Chris Karnacki wrote:
I am looking to turn my new (to me) wooden shed into my home office. It has wood siding and double pane windows. I want to add electrical and insulate/drywall it so it can be used as a home office. I am fine on the electrical and drywall, but have some questions about the insulation.

Since it is a low pitch roof with no ridge, how should I be ventilating it (or do I not need to)? There is no attic and the plan was to insulate it and have the fiberglass batting flush up against the roof sheeting. I don't want to have issues with condensation/mold in the future though. The shed will not have AC or heat. The roof is asphalt shingles over felt roof paper (no insulation between sheeting and paper.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Pic of shed - http://i.imgur.com/if1HJum.jpg

I'd say the same principles apply to all roofs. I would treat it like
a cathedral ceiling. Put in ventilation baffles between the rafters,
then insulation, then drywall. Use a ridge vent at the peak, continuous
soffit vent strip at the bottom.

Can you get away without it? Probably, depending on how much it's
heated and occupied, etc. It's not as bad as a house, where you'd
have it heated all the time and sources of humidity present. Depending
on how strict your area is with codes, you may want to look into
that too so there are no big surprises later.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/09/2016 8:02 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Also fiberglass for the walls. As Ed said, panels
are less messy to work with, but you don't get much
insulation out of them and it's hard to fit them snugly.

Nonsense...2" foam is R10 which is within 10% of 3-1/2" R11 fiberglass.

Planning a Shed to Office conversion (with a new shed). Need some advice rmwebs UK diy 23 July 4th 12 11:02 AM
Home Office Shed - insulation & heating. Bob Smith UK diy 12 August 16th 07 10:19 PM
insulating a shed Dudley UK diy 11 December 8th 05 12:21 PM
Insulating a shed. johno UK diy 11 October 4th 05 07:43 PM
How Dare Could America Industrial Property Office Be In Conspiracy With Jungang International Patent Office To Make An Extravagant International Crime ? [email protected] Woodturning 2 June 5th 05 07:03 AM