Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Belt vs orbital sander

Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital sander. :-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2016 6:36 PM, Andy wrote:
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital sander. :-)

Andy

Define special sanding paper? A belt sander requires a belt sandpaper.
It's a continuous connect loop of sandpaper whereas a orbital sander
uses a disk sandpaper. Either one has a variety of grit.

Using the same grit on both sanders, a belt sander will sand down wood
at a much faster speed than an orbital sander.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message

Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital sander. :-)

Andy

It all depend how do you use it and for what purpose.
Orbital sander dose not have option to be use cross the grid or down the
grid
while belt sander dose and what type wood you use it on???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital
sander. :-)

Andy

If you have to ask you don't want a belt sander.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2016 7:19 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Andy wrote:
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital
sander. :-)

Andy

If you have to ask you don't want a belt sander.

Javoe, mein herr.

-
..
Cockroach A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-07, Meanie wrote:

....whereas a orbital sander uses a disk sandpaper.

Random orbital sanders use round discs and squares, depending on
brand. A square piece fer sqr orb sanders can be cut from any sheet
of sandpaper, including a "belt", and are usually held to the machine
via pressure bars. Round discs fer rnd orb sanders usually have some sorta
glue to attach the sandpaper discs.

Disc sanders obviously use round sandpaper discs.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 15:36:55 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital sander. :-)

Andy

You use a belt sander when you want to remove a lot of material. You
use an orbital sander when you are looking for a very uniform finish.
I have both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 18:51:06 -0400, Meanie wrote:

[...] a belt sander will sand down wood at a much faster speed

+1 on that. I bought one to do one job of 'flushing' the overhang of the
bottom of a built-in cupboard to fit a slightly oversize fridge in my
kitchen.

The job was done in about 20 seconds.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-07 7:40 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 18:51:06 -0400, Meanie wrote:

[...] a belt sander will sand down wood at a much faster speed

+1 on that. I bought one to do one job of 'flushing' the overhang of the
bottom of a built-in cupboard to fit a slightly oversize fridge in my
kitchen.

The job was done in about 20 seconds.

Hope you have used it since or you should have rented it. Buying a tool
my rule is, if I can never see myself using it again, rent, else buy.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2016 6:36 PM, Andy wrote:
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital sander. :-)

Andy

Belts are generally faster, but they don't give as fine a finish. Most
woodworkers use both for different purposes.

The belt with a course grit can remove a lot of wood and can give you a
long straight edge,can be used to tweak the dimensions as you sneak up
on the pencil mark.

Orbital is better for fine work. I have one I jeep loaded with 100
grit, the other with 220 grit.

Paper selection depends on the job you want to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote ... on Thu, 07 Apr 2016 18:51:06 -0400 ...

Using the same grit on both sanders, a belt sander will sand down wood
at a much faster speed than an orbital sander.

I've had both and I can't stand orbital sanders.

Lots of people do fine with cross-grain sanding and it's good for corners
and non-flat areas.

But, if my kid asked me "Daddy, which sander should I get first", it
would be a belt sander, hands down, first choice.

(Nothing wrong with a few extra tools so go ahead and get that orbital,
but get it when you need it.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

FrozenNorth wrote ... on Thu, 07 Apr 2016 19:46:31 -0400 ...

Hope you have used it since or you should have rented it. Buying a tool
my rule is, if I can never see myself using it again, rent, else buy.

My rule is slightly different, but it has similar effects.

1. If you *know* you'll use a set of tools, buy them on sale (if you can).
2. If you *need* a tool now, then consider renting.

Things that are "big" are often often better rented than bought, e.g.,
- Wood chippers
- Tillers
- Steam rollers
- Steam cleaners

But smaller stuff is often better bought, e.g.,
- Belt sanders
- Bench grinders
- Chainsaws
- Lawnmowers
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 6:19:36 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
Andy wrote:
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital
sander. :-)

Andy

If you have to ask you don't want a belt sander.

You are real helpful. NOT !!

:-)

I will chalk up your response to a bad day.

Maybe a belt sander fell on you today while it was running.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 5:51:25 PM UTC-5, SBH wrote:
On 4/7/2016 6:36 PM, Andy wrote:
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital sander. :-)

Andy

Define special sanding paper? A belt sander requires a belt sandpaper.
It's a continuous connect loop of sandpaper whereas a orbital sander
uses a disk sandpaper. Either one has a variety of grit.

Using the same grit on both sanders, a belt sander will sand down wood
at a much faster speed than an orbital sander.

My orbital sander uses a 1/4 sheet of sandpaper.

I am quite sure that a sandpaper loop is quite a bit more expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 5:37:00 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital sander. :-)

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/07/2016 04:36 PM, Andy wrote:
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

Yes, and they are a lot more fun. Lock the trigger and set it on the
ground. You'd be surprised how far it makes it before pulling the
extension cord out of the socket. We used to have belt sander races on
slow days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 6:49:51 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/7/2016 6:36 PM, Andy wrote:
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

And does it need special sanding paper as opposed to an orbital sander. :-)

Andy

Belts are generally faster, but they don't give as fine a finish. Most
woodworkers use both for different purposes.

The belt with a course grit can remove a lot of wood and can give you a
long straight edge,can be used to tweak the dimensions as you sneak up
on the pencil mark.

Orbital is better for fine work. I have one I jeep loaded with 100
grit, the other with 220 grit.

Paper selection depends on the job you want to do.

Um, Ed, how do you "jeep load" something? I have a Jeep and it will carry a good load. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Jeep Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 22:47:48 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

rbowman wrote:
On 04/07/2016 04:36 PM, Andy wrote:
Does a belt sander work faster than an orbital sander?

Yes, and they are a lot more fun. Lock the trigger and set it on the
ground. You'd be surprised how far it makes it before pulling the
extension cord out of the socket. We used to have belt sander races on
slow days.

Ever shoot boards with a radial arm saw ? 7th grade shop class held the
record , almost a hundred yards - thru the front window of the shop , across
the lawn and the street in front , and landed in the field across the road .
Coulda been ugly if a student or car was going past just then ...

Damn, that's quite a record! (Quite dangerous too).

I recall when I was in HS shop class, one of the kids taped the switch
on a belt sander and launched it off a workbench. The teacher was not
pleased and the kid got suspended for a day or two. Of course the rest
of us thought it was really funny....

The stupid things we do as kids!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-07, Meanie wrote:

....whereas a orbital sander uses a disk sandpaper.

Random orbital sanders use round discs and squares, depending on
brand. A square piece fer sqr orb sanders can be cut from any sheet
of sandpaper, including a "belt", and are usually held to the machine
via pressure bars. Round discs fer rnd orb sanders usually have some sorta
glue to attach the sandpaper discs.

Disc sanders obviously use round sandpaper discs.

nb

Are you sure that square *random* orbital sanders exist?

As far as I know, the square sanders, AKA Palm Sanders or Sheet Sanders
are orbital sanders, but not *random* orbital sanders.

If square random orbital sanders do exist, AFAIK they are a very small
subset of the square sander world. A quick Google search did not reveal
any square random orbital sanders.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-07, Meanie wrote:

....whereas a orbital sander uses a disk sandpaper.

Random orbital sanders use round discs and squares, depending on
brand. A square piece fer sqr orb sanders can be cut from any sheet
of sandpaper, including a "belt", and are usually held to the machine
via pressure bars. Round discs fer rnd orb sanders usually have some sorta
glue to attach the sandpaper discs.

Disc sanders obviously use round sandpaper discs.

nb

Are you sure that square *random* orbital sanders exist?

As far as I know, the square sanders, AKA Palm Sanders or Sheet Sanders
are orbital sanders, but not *random* orbital sanders.

If square random orbital sanders do exist, AFAIK they are a very small
subset of the square sander world. A quick Google search did not reveal
any square random orbital sanders.

This is what I have. I do not know if it is orbital or not.

SKIL 7232-01 1.8 AMP 1/4 SHEET PALM SANDER

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

rbowman wrote:
[...]

No kiddin' ! Like holding the leads to the welder and turning it on to see
how much amperage you could stand . And the acoustic tile ceiling of that
same shop was studded with welding rods - sharpen the bare end and see if
you can make it stick . Teacher never did figure out where all the rod went
IIRC . He shoulda stayed in the shop when there were students present ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-07, Meanie wrote:

[snip]
As far as I know, the square sanders, AKA Palm Sanders or Sheet Sanders
are orbital sanders, but not *random* orbital sanders.

If square random orbital sanders do exist, AFAIK they are a very small
subset of the square sander world. A quick Google search did not reveal
any square random orbital sanders.

This is what I have. I do not know if it is orbital or not.

SKIL 7232-01 1.8 AMP 1/4 SHEET PALM SANDER

Andy

When a sander is a ROS, it will tell you so in the name/description.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-07, Meanie wrote:

[...]

Again, there is a difference between orbital and *random* orbital.

Most (if not all) palm sanders are orbital in that they move back and forth
and also in small yet consistent circles.

A random orbital sander has an offset cam on the motor shaft so that it vibrates in tiny circles, like an orbital finishing sander, but it also
spins in circles. The basically means that no single part of the pad will
ever touch the same spot of the work on any given pass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-07, Meanie wrote:

....whereas a orbital sander uses a disk sandpaper.

Random orbital sanders use round discs and squares, depending on
brand. A square piece fer sqr orb sanders can be cut from any sheet
of sandpaper, including a "belt", and are usually held to the machine
via pressure bars. Round discs fer rnd orb sanders usually have some sorta
glue to attach the sandpaper discs.

Disc sanders obviously use round sandpaper discs.

nb

Are you sure that square *random* orbital sanders exist?

As far as I know, the square sanders, AKA Palm Sanders or Sheet Sanders
are orbital sanders, but not *random* orbital sanders.

If square random orbital sanders do exist, AFAIK they are a very small
subset of the square sander world. A quick Google search did not reveal
any square random orbital sanders.

They are not that rare. I have 2 and both use rectangular sheet of
sand paper (half a full sheet)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-07, Meanie wrote:

[...]

Let's be clear: square orbital sanders or square *random* orbital sanders?

Do you have a model number or even a manufacturer available?

I checked DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch and Festool. I may have missed it,
but I'm not finding a single square random orbital sander.

I'm not doubting you, in fact I really interested in seeing what a square
random orbital sander might do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-07, Meanie wrote:

[...]

I don't know how "random" it is but it is certainly orbital and the
pattern seems pretty erratic..

On 2016-04-07, Meanie wrote:

[...]

Well, there ya go! ;-)

I'm gonna stick to my guns and continue to say that there are no square random
orbital sanders, at least until proven otherwise.

It is my understanding that the difference is that square sheet sanders go
back and forth and (based on the model) around in a circle.

Random orbital sanders have a round disk that goes in a circle but also
moves in an random elliptical motion.

I don't know if the information here is 100% accurate, but it's the way
I believe things work.

http://www.bobvila.com/articles/2143.../#.Vwf6k-IrJaQ

random orbital sander wanting to go orbital Electric Comet Woodworking 13 December 25th 14 03:46 PM
orbital sander News Woodworking 21 May 30th 07 05:32 PM
Orbital sander pads PipeDown Home Repair 1 September 16th 05 10:49 PM
Orbital Sander V Belt Sander Ozboc Woodworking 3 September 10th 04 12:41 PM
Is a DA (Dual Action) sander same as a orbital sander Ben Siders Woodworking 4 July 31st 03 04:55 PM