Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slooooow!

DSL not working today. sigh On dial up which fortunately I retained for
just such a day. How did I ever stand this before I got DSL? It's
incredibly slow - or something is wrong with my connection. Said 45K when I
dialed it up though.

Praying my DSL comes back soon!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 12:58:16 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
DSL not working today. sigh On dial up which fortunately I retained for
just such a day. How did I ever stand this before I got DSL? It's
incredibly slow - or something is wrong with my connection. Said 45K when I
dialed it up though.

Praying my DSL comes back soon!

I am typing this very slowly so as not to overwhelm your dial-up connection.

How fast is your DSL? When I moved from my then-current phone company's DSL
to Verizon and their cable-modem connection to the internet I said to
myself "How did I ever stand being on DSL?" :-)

Man, I can't imagine what dial-up must be like. I wonder if it's worse than
using my smartphone as a mobile hot-spot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 1:51:58 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in news:99646e10-c546-48a3-8ddd-
:

How fast is your DSL?

I have no idea. It's back, by the way.

When I went to DSL I first checked into the local high-speed internet
services. All were either tied to also paying for TV (which I never watch)
or had terrible service and product reports. DSL maybe slower, but at least
I've had very few problems - only out twice, a few hours, in all the years
I've used it. Fast enough for pleasant Usenet, email, and Google research.
I've not tried Youtube or other video - will some day.

Try
http://www.speedtest.net/

I'd be curious to see how much DSL has improved since I used to use it.

I'm not home right now, but I'll try to remember to run wired and
wifi speed tests on my various devices tonight and post the results.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 11:38:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I just tested mine on that site and I am getting 9.96meg down, 720k up

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's too bad that the Paintster has me plonked because my numbers might blow his mind.

He doesn't think 9.96 down is possible? Wait until he sees my numbers.

Wired PC - 61.97 Mb down, 6.22 Mb up
iPad - 44. 89 Mb down, 6.52 Mb up
Android phone - 60.54 Mb down, 6.2 Mb up

Of course, these numbers will vary with each test and will be slightly lower when multiple
devices are accessing the network.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I went to DSL I first checked into the local high-speed internet
services. All were either tied to also paying for TV (which I never
watch) or had terrible service and product reports. DSL maybe slower,
but at least I've had very few problems - only out twice, a few
hours, in all the years I've used it. Fast enough for pleasant
Usenet, email, and Google research. I've not tried Youtube or other
video - will some day.

Try http://www.speedtest.net/

I'd be curious to see how much DSL has improved since I used to use
it.

I'm not home right now, but I'll try to remember to run wired and
wifi speed tests on my various devices tonight and post the results.

11.28 DL, 0.85 UL.

Out of interest, do you know the percentage of people in the US who can
get fibre (so called Superfast internet) ?

Here in the UK it's over 90% rising to 95% by 2017.

For the record mine is 50Mbps down 19Mbps up using ethernet (wired).

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Apr 2016 16:58:10 GMT, KenK wrote:

DSL not working today. sigh On dial up which fortunately I retained for
just such a day. How did I ever stand this before I got DSL? It's
incredibly slow - or something is wrong with my connection. Said 45K when I
dialed it up though.

Praying my DSL comes back soon!

I wanted to keep my dialup, but was in a hurry. Now I figure I'll dig
out a modem when the time comes, and hope I haven't forgotten how to
do the initializing string.

I found dial-up fast enough for email and newsgroups, and audio. Slow
for the web and too slow for video.

Last night I got my friend's computer working and downloaded 5000
emails, representing 78 days since January 19. It took over an hour,
and it seemed very slow. This was DSL but wifi, with a big CRT
monitor right between the router and the wifi receiver. Would that
make a difference? I know at 80 feet wifi is slower than Cat5, but
what about at 18". Is it any faster than, maybe because of fewer lost
packets? Anyhow, I did other things during the hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/05/2016 11:58 AM, KenK wrote:
DSL not working today. sigh On dial up which fortunately I retained for
just such a day. How did I ever stand this before I got DSL? It's
incredibly slow - or something is wrong with my connection. Said 45K when I
dialed it up though.

Praying my DSL comes back soon!

I had dial-up as a backup for the first few years after getting cable
internet. Now, I use a 4G device (https://yourkarma.com/).

BTW, we got cable internet in 2003, but DSL won't be available until
this summer (IIRC). Maybe that's because the cable has been so good.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas.