DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Slooooow! (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/392961-slooooow.html)

KenK April 5th 16 05:58 PM

Slooooow!

DSL not working today. sigh On dial up which fortunately I retained for
just such a day. How did I ever stand this before I got DSL? It's
incredibly slow - or something is wrong with my connection. Said 45K when I
dialed it up though.

Praying my DSL comes back soon!

DerbyDad03 April 5th 16 06:51 PM

Slooooow!

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 12:58:16 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
DSL not working today. sigh On dial up which fortunately I retained for
just such a day. How did I ever stand this before I got DSL? It's
incredibly slow - or something is wrong with my connection. Said 45K when I
dialed it up though.

Praying my DSL comes back soon!

I am typing this very slowly so as not to overwhelm your dial-up connection.

How fast is your DSL? When I moved from my then-current phone company's DSL
to Verizon and their cable-modem connection to the internet I said to
myself "How did I ever stand being on DSL?" :-)

Man, I can't imagine what dial-up must be like. I wonder if it's worse than
using my smartphone as a mobile hot-spot.

micky April 6th 16 06:03 PM

Slooooow!

On 5 Apr 2016 16:58:10 GMT, KenK wrote:

DSL not working today. sigh On dial up which fortunately I retained for
just such a day. How did I ever stand this before I got DSL? It's
incredibly slow - or something is wrong with my connection. Said 45K when I
dialed it up though.

Praying my DSL comes back soon!

I wanted to keep my dialup, but was in a hurry. Now I figure I'll dig
out a modem when the time comes, and hope I haven't forgotten how to
do the initializing string.

I found dial-up fast enough for email and newsgroups, and audio. Slow
for the web and too slow for video.

Last night I got my friend's computer working and downloaded 5000
emails, representing 78 days since January 19. It took over an hour,
and it seemed very slow. This was DSL but wifi, with a big CRT
monitor right between the router and the wifi receiver. Would that
make a difference? I know at 80 feet wifi is slower than Cat5, but
what about at 18". Is it any faster than, maybe because of fewer lost
packets? Anyhow, I did other things during the hour.

KenK April 6th 16 06:51 PM

Slooooow!

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:99646e10-c546-48a3-8ddd-
:

How fast is your DSL?

I have no idea. It's back, by the way.

When I went to DSL I first checked into the local high-speed internet
services. All were either tied to also paying for TV (which I never watch)
or had terrible service and product reports. DSL maybe slower, but at least
I've had very few problems - only out twice, a few hours, in all the years
I've used it. Fast enough for pleasant Usenet, email, and Google research.
I've not tried Youtube or other video - will some day.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] April 6th 16 06:53 PM

Slooooow!

On 04/05/2016 11:58 AM, KenK wrote:
DSL not working today. sigh On dial up which fortunately I retained for
just such a day. How did I ever stand this before I got DSL? It's
incredibly slow - or something is wrong with my connection. Said 45K when I
dialed it up though.

Praying my DSL comes back soon!

I had dial-up as a backup for the first few years after getting cable
internet. Now, I use a 4G device (https://yourkarma.com/).

BTW, we got cable internet in 2003, but DSL won't be available until
this summer (IIRC). Maybe that's because the cable has been so good.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas.

DerbyDad03 April 6th 16 07:38 PM

Slooooow!

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 1:51:58 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in news:99646e10-c546-48a3-8ddd-
:

How fast is your DSL?

I have no idea. It's back, by the way.

When I went to DSL I first checked into the local high-speed internet
services. All were either tied to also paying for TV (which I never watch)
or had terrible service and product reports. DSL maybe slower, but at least
I've had very few problems - only out twice, a few hours, in all the years
I've used it. Fast enough for pleasant Usenet, email, and Google research.
I've not tried Youtube or other video - will some day.

Try
http://www.speedtest.net/

I'd be curious to see how much DSL has improved since I used to use it.

I'm not home right now, but I'll try to remember to run wired and
wifi speed tests on my various devices tonight and post the results.

[email protected] April 6th 16 10:01 PM

Slooooow!

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 11:38:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I just tested mine on that site and I am getting 9.96meg down, 720k up

[email protected] April 7th 16 08:10 AM

Slooooow!

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 17:01:16 -0400, wrote:

I'd be curious to see how much DSL has improved since I used to use it.

I'm not home right now, but I'll try to remember to run wired and
wifi speed tests on my various devices tonight and post the results.

I just tested mine on that site and I am getting 9.96meg down, 720k up

Are you saying you get 9.96 megs per second download speed? I did not
know that was even possible. I'm on dialup, and that is all I can get in
my rural location, unless I was to pay well over $100 a month for
satellite tv and internet. I have no need for the tv part, and wont pay
that much anyhow, particularly when I am finding the whole internet
becoming more and more worthless lately.

My dialup internet is included with my landline phone at no extra cost.
I cant even make phone calls from my cellphone at home (poor signal),
but can usually send and receive texts (If I go outdoors, because my
aluminum siding blocks all signals indoors). So I need a landline either
way....

Anyhow, a local restaurant gets me 1.2 megs per second download speed. I
thought that was incredibly fast. At our library, I only get 300k to
550k downloads (sometimes even slower).

DerbyDad03 April 7th 16 12:00 PM

Slooooow!

wrote:

[...]

It's too bad that the Paintster has me plonked because my numbers might blow his mind.

He doesn't think 9.96 down is possible? Wait until he sees my numbers.

Wired PC - 61.97 Mb down, 6.22 Mb up
iPad - 44. 89 Mb down, 6.52 Mb up
Android phone - 60.54 Mb down, 6.2 Mb up

Of course, these numbers will vary with each test and will be slightly lower when multiple
devices are accessing the network.

trader_4 April 7th 16 12:50 PM

Slooooow!

wrote:

[...]

Wired PC 29 Mb down, 5 up
Android phone at other end of house from router, 16 down, 5 up

That's with cable, lowest/standard speed. Cablevision has two higher
levels of service speed available for additional cost.

[email protected] April 7th 16 03:57 PM

Slooooow!

On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 03:10:28 -0400, wrote:

[...]

That is what I pay for (10m) and it seems pretty consistent. This is
coming into my house on copper but I think the fiber concentrator is
about a half mile away. If the fiber as nearby that "central office"
they talk about is a box about the size of a keg cooler on the side of
the road.
It sounds like your telco has not laid any fiber anywhere near you.
We were fortunate here when Sprint bought out our little mom and pop
phone company in the 80s and did a fiber/buried copper upgrade, not
knowing cell was going to eat the POTS business.

[email protected] April 7th 16 04:01 PM

Slooooow!

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 04:50:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Wired PC 29 Mb down, 5 up
Android phone at other end of house from router, 16 down, 5 up

That's with cable, lowest/standard speed. Cablevision has two higher
levels of service speed available for additional cost.

Cable is a lot faster here too but Comcast reliability stinks and
their customer service is simply dismal. My cable drop is still
swinging in the air, from the hardline as high up as I could reach. I
set their modem on the curb and told them to come get it.

DerbyDad03 April 7th 16 06:45 PM

Slooooow!

wrote:

Wired PC 29 Mb down, 5 up
Android phone at other end of house from router, 16 down, 5 up

That's with cable, lowest/standard speed. Cablevision has two higher
levels of service speed available for additional cost.

Cable is a lot faster here too but Comcast reliability stinks and
their customer service is simply dismal. My cable drop is still
swinging in the air, from the hardline as high up as I could reach. I
set their modem on the curb and told them to come get it.

TWC Customer Service is pretty good and petty consistent.

Verizon Wireless, on the other hand, is about as inconsistent as can be.
Sometimes you get reps that know what they are doing, other times you can't
even get them understand the issue, never mind provide a solution.

Their Tech Support is usually pretty good and will stick with you until
the issue is resolved. It's their billing and general customer service reps
that are really hit or miss. My family has been known to leave the house
if they know I am calling Verizon Wireless. ;-)

Oren[_2_] April 7th 16 06:57 PM

Slooooow!

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 10:45:05 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

My family has been known to leave the house
if they know I am calling Verizon Wireless. ;-)

Chuckle. My bride tells people, trust me you don't want my husband to
come down here.

Bod[_3_] April 7th 16 07:03 PM

Slooooow!

When I went to DSL I first checked into the local high-speed internet
services. All were either tied to also paying for TV (which I never
watch) or had terrible service and product reports. DSL maybe slower,
but at least I've had very few problems - only out twice, a few
hours, in all the years I've used it. Fast enough for pleasant
Usenet, email, and Google research. I've not tried Youtube or other
video - will some day.

Try http://www.speedtest.net/

I'd be curious to see how much DSL has improved since I used to use
it.

I'm not home right now, but I'll try to remember to run wired and
wifi speed tests on my various devices tonight and post the results.

11.28 DL, 0.85 UL.

Out of interest, do you know the percentage of people in the US who can
get fibre (so called Superfast internet) ?

Here in the UK it's over 90% rising to 95% by 2017.

For the record mine is 50Mbps down 19Mbps up using ethernet (wired).

--
Bod

DerbyDad03 April 7th 16 07:26 PM

Slooooow!

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 2:03:49 PM UTC-4, Bod wrote:
[...]

I'm very surprised at the 19Mb up. Any idea if that is typical for your
side of the pond? Mid-to-High single digits seems to be the norm for those
of us using the higher speed offerings.

As I posted earlier, my numbers are as follows:

Bod[_3_] April 7th 16 07:42 PM

Slooooow!

On 07/04/2016 19:26, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I'll check how common that upload speed is with other ISPs and get back
to you.

I'm with a company called Talk Talk and 19Mbps upload speed is the
faster out of the two fibre packages from them.

The other slower package gives you up to 1.9Mbps upload speed.

--
Bod

Bod[_3_] April 7th 16 07:50 PM

Slooooow!

[...]

I did this speedtest just now. The upload is normally nearer 19Mbps,

but shows 17 on this test.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrof4wpeuh...0test.PNG?dl=0

--
Bod

Percival P. Cassidy April 7th 16 07:51 PM

Slooooow!

On 04/07/2016 02:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

We have Charter -- a somewhat upscale package: 60mbps down, 4mbps up.
There's a 100mbps down package, but still, I think, only 4mbps up. Even
the business packages are not symmetrical, as far as I know.

Perce

Bod[_3_] April 7th 16 07:58 PM

Slooooow!

On 07/04/2016 19:51, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Just did some checking and most ISPs offering fibre have 2 choices over
here. They a

40 down 10 up
and
80 down 20 up

Some, like mine, do a 38 down 1.9 up
and 76 down 19 up

There are a few that do 50 down 10 up.

--
Bod

Bod[_3_] April 7th 16 08:12 PM

Slooooow!

On 07/04/2016 19:58, Bod wrote:
[...]

A few lucky buggers over here can get Hyperoptic @ *1Gb* down AND 1 Gb
upload speed. Mindblowing!

--
Bod

Ralph Mowery April 7th 16 08:20 PM

Slooooow!

wrote:

[...]

I am suspose to get 50 meg on my cable. By the TWC (Time Warner Cable)
speed test I seldon see 30 and usualy less down. I do get atleast 5 or
slightly over on the up like I am suspose to get.

Some of the other test sites will give 35 to 40 down and the same 5 or
slightly over up.

I have been thinking about getting in touch and finding out why I am not
getting over 30 reported by their speed test. I have bought my own
modem,but it is the one they recommend on their web site and it should be
capable of atleast 100 or more if cable was sending it.

RonNNN April 7th 16 08:48 PM

Slooooow!

In article ,
says...

[...]

I have Charter too, and did a couple of tests. Got 65.15 down and 4.37 up
at best, and 52.49 up and 4.16 down at worst. BTW, I did clear the cache
between tests.

I don't think I would ever be happy with anything less after using cable.

--
RonNNN

[email protected] April 7th 16 08:54 PM

Slooooow!

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 19:03:44 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

You have almost 260 people per square KM in UK so one fiber will serve
a bunch of people. We are a tad more spread out here. We have 30 per
sq/km overall and some states are more like 2-5 people per sq/km in
some western states. They are not stringing 20 miles of fiber to serve
30 or 40 households.

DerbyDad03 April 7th 16 08:57 PM

Slooooow!

wrote:

[...]

Wired or wireless can make a difference, as can the device. As I noted,
the speed on my iPad is 10Mb slower than my Android phone or wired PC.

Actually, that just made me chuckle.

The 10 Mb that I *lose* on my iPad is faster than some others get in the
first place and 20 times *faster* than PaintMan can get at the library.

Man, that must s-u-c-k!

[email protected] April 7th 16 09:00 PM

Slooooow!

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 20:12:27 +0100, Bod wrote:

A few lucky buggers over here can get Hyperoptic @ *1Gb* down AND 1 Gb
upload speed. Mindblowing!

At a certain point you are only going as fast as the site you are
downloading from and the slowest link in that path.
Speeds like that might be appropriate for a business with lots of
users but for your casual homeowner it is just bragging rights.

RonNNN April 7th 16 09:00 PM

Slooooow!

In article ,
says...
I have Charter too, and did a couple of tests. Got 65.15 down and 4.37

up
at best, and 52.49 up and 4.16 down at worst. BTW, I did clear the cache
between tests.

I don't think I would ever be happy with anything less after using cable.

Swap those 'up/down's' around on the second set of numbers. {sigh,
another brain fart!}

--
RonNNN

Oren[_2_] April 7th 16 09:00 PM

Slooooow!

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 15:20:48 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I am suspose to get 50 meg on my cable. By the TWC (Time Warner Cable)
speed test I seldon see 30 and usualy less down. I do get atleast 5 or
slightly over on the up like I am suspose to get.

Some of the other test sites will give 35 to 40 down and the same 5 or
slightly over up.

I have been thinking about getting in touch and finding out why I am not
getting over 30 reported by their speed test. I have bought my own
modem,but it is the one they recommend on their web site and it should be
capable of atleast 100 or more if cable was sending it.

Ask them to "provision" routers, etc. Some may be related to older
hardware that hasn't kept up with advances the service providers after
they update hardware.

[email protected] April 7th 16 09:01 PM

Slooooow!

wrote:

I am suspose to get 50 meg on my cable. By the TWC (Time Warner Cable)
speed test I seldon see 30 and usualy less down. I do get atleast 5 or
slightly over on the up like I am suspose to get.

Some of the other test sites will give 35 to 40 down and the same 5 or
slightly over up.

I have been thinking about getting in touch and finding out why I am not
getting over 30 reported by their speed test. I have bought my own
modem,but it is the one they recommend on their web site and it should be
capable of atleast 100 or more if cable was sending it.

With cable internet, you are sharing a node with a bunch of your
neighbors. Your speed will vary based on what they are doing.

Bod[_3_] April 7th 16 09:09 PM

Slooooow!

On 07/04/2016 20:54, wrote:
[...]

I understand, but having said that we have a lot of little villages with
only a handful of houses plus many farms out in the sticks.
Scotland and Wales have mountainous terrain.

--
Bod

Bod[_3_] April 7th 16 09:11 PM

Slooooow!

On 07/04/2016 21:00, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...
I have Charter too, and did a couple of tests. Got 65.15 down and 4.37

up
at best, and 52.49 up and 4.16 down at worst. BTW, I did clear the cache
between tests.

I don't think I would ever be happy with anything less after using cable.

Swap those 'up/down's' around on the second set of numbers. {sigh,
another brain fart!}

Lol.

--
Bod

[email protected] April 7th 16 09:43 PM

Slooooow!

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 21:09:43 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 07/04/2016 20:54, wrote:

For the record mine is 50Mbps down 19Mbps up using ethernet (wired).

You have almost 260 people per square KM in UK so one fiber will serve
a bunch of people. We are a tad more spread out here. We have 30 per
sq/km overall and some states are more like 2-5 people per sq/km in
some western states. They are not stringing 20 miles of fiber to serve
30 or 40 households.

I understand, but having said that we have a lot of little villages with
only a handful of houses plus many farms out in the sticks.
Scotland and Wales have mountainous terrain.

Those are the 5% I imagine.
The US has not really put that much emphasis on getting fiber to the
home. The cable companies have no real incentive since coax meets the
needs of their primary business, TV and the telephone companies are
slow to expand "last mile" infrastructure when everyone is going
wireless.
I think the biggest thing we could do to unleash this business would
be to unbundle content from data and create competition in the data
business. It probably would result in data being metered by the
gigabyte but I don't see a huge problem with that. If they are selling
data, they will be trying to get you to use more so faster would be
better for them.
Competition would control prices. Right now, virtually all "cable"
operates as a monopoly.

Ralph Mowery April 7th 16 09:43 PM

Slooooow!

wrote:

I am suspose to get 50 meg on my cable. By the TWC (Time Warner Cable)
speed test I seldon see 30 and usualy less down. I do get atleast 5 or
slightly over on the up like I am suspose to get.

Some of the other test sites will give 35 to 40 down and the same 5 or
slightly over up.

I have been thinking about getting in touch and finding out why I am not
getting over 30 reported by their speed test. I have bought my own
modem,but it is the one they recommend on their web site and it should be
capable of atleast 100 or more if cable was sending it.

With cable internet, you are sharing a node with a bunch of your
neighbors. Your speed will vary based on what they are doing.

I live out of town and have no idea how many might be connected to the same
node. Being retired I am able to get on at all kinds of hours of the day
and night. It seems that it does not make any difference what time of the
night or day I check the speed there is not much difference in the reported
speeds. Only about half of what they advertise.

Ralph Mowery April 7th 16 09:48 PM

Slooooow!

"Bod" wrote in message
On 07/04/2016 21:00, wrote:
On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 20:12:27 +0100, Bod wrote:

A few lucky buggers over here can get Hyperoptic @ *1Gb* down AND 1 Gb
upload speed. Mindblowing!

At a certain point you are only going as fast as the site you are
downloading from and the slowest link in that path.
Speeds like that might be appropriate for a business with lots of
users but for your casual homeowner it is just bragging rights.

I agree.

I wish that I lived in town for the internet. They have the fiber and
forgot the speed,but did get a tour with a group through their equipment
room. They have the fastest speed in the state. Somehow got in before
there was some kind of speed ruleing on how fast they could run. I think it
is either a gigabit or terabit.
This is for a county of probably less than 50,000 people.

For the home user, I think there are lots of sites that have a hard time
sending back even the 20 meg or so that many are rated for on the downlink.

Joe (not really) April 7th 16 09:51 PM

Slooooow!

wrote:

I am suspose to get 50 meg on my cable. By the TWC (Time Warner Cable)
speed test I seldon see 30 and usualy less down. I do get atleast 5 or
slightly over on the up like I am suspose to get.

Some of the other test sites will give 35 to 40 down and the same 5 or
slightly over up.

I have been thinking about getting in touch and finding out why I am not
getting over 30 reported by their speed test. I have bought my own
modem,but it is the one they recommend on their web site and it should be
capable of atleast 100 or more if cable was sending it.

With cable internet, you are sharing a node with a bunch of your
neighbors. Your speed will vary based on what they are doing.

It really doesn't have to be that way.
I have Comcast's 100/20 package. It *always* tests and performs 120Mb/24Mb.

Ralph Mowery April 7th 16 09:52 PM

Slooooow!

wrote in message

[...]

They did install lots of fiber for our town that services only about 30,000
people or less. It was not done by the cabe company,but a fiber optics
company. Seems there are lots of unused fiber cables all over the US that
was installed,but not used. The fiber companies are jumping on those lines
for internet and TV.

Vic Smith April 7th 16 10:31 PM

Slooooow!

wrote:

I am suspose to get 50 meg on my cable. By the TWC (Time Warner Cable)
speed test I seldon see 30 and usualy less down. I do get atleast 5 or
slightly over on the up like I am suspose to get.

Some of the other test sites will give 35 to 40 down and the same 5 or
slightly over up.

I have been thinking about getting in touch and finding out why I am not
getting over 30 reported by their speed test. I have bought my own
modem,but it is the one they recommend on their web site and it should be
capable of atleast 100 or more if cable was sending it.

With cable internet, you are sharing a node with a bunch of your
neighbors. Your speed will vary based on what they are doing.

It really doesn't have to be that way.
I have Comcast's 100/20 package. It *always* tests and performs 120Mb/24Mb.

I have Comcast 75mb service.
This morning it was 90/12 on Speedtest.net
On xfinity.speedtest.com it was 20/12
Just checked ten minutes ago and it was 33/12 on Speedtest.net.
And about 2 minutes ago it was 90/12 again.
On xfinity.speedtest.net it stayed at 20/12.
Anyway, it's fast enough for me.

[email protected] April 8th 16 12:47 AM

Slooooow!

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 16:52:03 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

There is a rumor that they put fiber in front of my house 30 years ago
in the Sprint build out. but the new phone company says no. I think it
may have been destroyed or they just do not now it is there. Fifteen
years ago when I got a "locate" they flagged 3 telco cables and the
last time it was only 2. They obviously lost one and it may have been
the fiber.