Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mystery Lock

I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 11:05:22 PM UTC-5, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff
--

Simple, you snap it around the neck of a housecat to keep it from running away or jumping on the kitchen counters. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Lock Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On 4/3/2016 12:05 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff

Got me puzzled. It's a nice quality looking
lock. So, it must have had a use. Please
let us know, if you find out.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 11:05:22 PM UTC-5, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

http://www.antique-padlocks.com/pc_misc.htm

Here is something similar. A "lever" padlock. Looks like a lockout to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/03/2016 09:03 AM, WWS TEXAS wrote:

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

http://www.antique-padlocks.com/pc_misc.htm

Here is something similar. A "lever" padlock. Looks like a lockout to me.

Good find...I've never seen a lock like that and I do have some old
padlocks here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 00:05:17 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff

Don't have a clue. First thought was a shackle lock for a ball and
chain. It might be called a pancake lock?

"The ancient style of pancake lock was in use for hundreds of years
and became popular with the Post Office when mail and money was
transported in the Old West by stage or rail. The Medium Medieval
Padlock is perfect to keep your treasure or prisoner secure. Our
Medium Medieval Padlock is made of all steel construction and each is
handmade and antiqued to look and function as the originals. The
Medium Medieval Padlock is great in keeping your dungeon secure. This
lock includes two keys. "

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-6312-medium-medieval-padlock.aspx

Other images of pancake locks.

https://tinyurl.com/hvruxpr
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

These look nothing like the op
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 11:05:22 PM UTC-5, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Put it on a doorknob inside where the door opens to the outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 4/2/2016 9:05 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff

That's an old fashioned cock ring, Jeffy. However, I would need the XXX
Large size.
Just sayin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.
Anybody here know its real purpose?
Jeff

Don't have a clue. First thought was a shackle lock for a ball and
chain. It might be called a pancake lock?
http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-6312-medium-medieval-padlock.aspx
Other images of pancake locks.
https://tinyurl.com/hvruxpr

The hinged body of the OP's padlock would separate it from
all these examples of pancake locks .. and also from the 100's
of round vintage padlocks from my google image search ...
What is the size of the OPs padlock ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff

I should have mentioned its size. It is 3-1/4" diameter and has no
lettering or other markings on it.

It may be a one of a kind prototype made by an toolmaker in a lock
manufacturing company.

Or maybe a thesis project for someone in locksmith school. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On 4/3/16 4:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/3/2016 12:05 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff

Got me puzzled. It's a nice quality looking
lock. So, it must have had a use. Please
let us know, if you find out.

I'm pretty sure it's for a pintle hook trailer hitch. Locks around the
ring on the trailer to prevent it from being towed away.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On 4/3/16 4:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/3/2016 12:05 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

If not for a pintle ring, it's probably something similar for railroad
use. Brass lever type locks with barrel keys are popular with railroads.
Not applicable to a Janney coupler but perhaps for switch gear or similar.

It definitely has the look of a railroad lock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I click on the link:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I get a message "no hot linking allowed". I've never seen this before, what do I do??

Bob Hofmann
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:55:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

When I click on the link:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I get a message "no hot linking allowed". I've never seen this before, what do I do??

Bob Hofmann

That's the message I get, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 13:52:17 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:55:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

When I click on the link:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I get a message "no hot linking allowed". I've never seen this before, what do I do??

Bob Hofmann

That's the message I get, too.

Click again. The URL works just fine here. Try another browser?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have tried that many times over the past two days, always get that same message. Do you have any alternative access. I only use Internet Explorer 11.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:55:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

When I click on the link:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I get a message "no hot linking allowed". I've never seen this before, what do I do??

Bob Hofmann

That's the message I get, too.

Click again. The URL works just fine here. Try another browser?

IE11 works just fine for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:55:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

When I click on the link:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I get a message "no hot linking allowed". I've never seen this before, what do I do??

Bob Hofmann

That's the message I get, too.

Click again. The URL works just fine here. Try another browser?

IE11 works just fine for me.

I'm using IE11 as well and each time I click it on I get
a message from wkrp.org

NO HOT LINKING ALLOWED! As far as I'm concerned it's
a dead link.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 18:49:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

Well, I've tried it with IE11, Edge, and Firefox. Works on all 3.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

Well, I've tried it with IE11, Edge, and Firefox. Works on all 3.

That's nice. But I do have Edge killed; incompatible
with sooooo many sites. Since killing it, it is no
longer an annoyance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does anyone, can anyone, please explain what "hot linking" is?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

wrote:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg
Well, I've tried it with IE11, Edge, and Firefox. Works on all 3.

Chrome works fine too.

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 7:51:10 AM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg
Well, I've tried it with IE11, Edge, and Firefox. Works on all 3.

Chrome works fine too.

--
RonNNN

I've tried it on several PCs and several browsers (IE, Firefox, Edge; Win7 and Win10). No luck on any of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

wrote:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg
Well, I've tried it with IE11, Edge, and Firefox. Works on all 3.

Chrome works fine too.

--
RonNNN

I've tried it on several PCs and several browsers (IE, Firefox, Edge; Win7 and Win10). No luck on any of them.

Perhaps wkrp.org has your service provider blocked?

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg
Well, I've tried it with IE11, Edge, and Firefox. Works on all 3.

Chrome works fine too.

--
RonNNN

I've tried it on several PCs and several browsers (IE, Firefox, Edge; Win7 and Win10). No luck on any of them.

Which implies that it is a firewall issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 10:40:26 -0700, Jay Hennigan wrote:

On 4/3/16 4:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/3/2016 12:05 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff

Got me puzzled. It's a nice quality looking
lock. So, it must have had a use. Please
let us know, if you find out.

I'm pretty sure it's for a pintle hook trailer hitch. Locks around the
ring on the trailer to prevent it from being towed away.

Men are supposed to put this lock on their penis BEFORE they begin
drinking alcohol. That way, after they get drunk, they can not screw any
"nasty" women..... LOL

Sorry, I could not resist.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/05/2016 03:52 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:55:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

When I click on the link:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I get a message "no hot linking allowed". I've never seen this before, what do I do??

Bob Hofmann

That's the message I get, too.

I don't. I use Firefox, could it be browser-dependant?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia posted for all of us...

I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an
antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the
rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until
the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff

I have no idea, like one poster said it might be railroad related.

Do not under any circumstances let Stumped reply-he claims he is a
locksmith-he is jamb breaker and con artist.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg
Well, I've tried it with IE11, Edge, and Firefox. Works on all 3.

I have multiple browsers on my system. As well as Firefox, I have
Chromium, Opera, Konqueror, and Dillo. That link works on all of those.
It also works on Opera 12 (32-bit) and Safari (Mac).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/05/2016 11:39 PM, wrote:
Does anyone, can anyone, please explain what "hot linking" is?

I think they mean linking directly to the picture rather than some web
page that displays it (maybe so they can bother you with ads).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2016 07:26 AM, TimR wrote:

[snip]

I've tried it on several PCs and several browsers (IE, Firefox, Edge; Win7 and Win10). No luck on any of them.

Their hot-link detection doesn't work very will. It'd be better if it
didn't work at all.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mystery Lock - Hotlinking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 12:06:04 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:
Hotlinking is a term used on the Internet that refers
to the practice of displaying an image on a website
by linking to the same image on another website,
rather than saving a copy of it on the website on
which the image will be shown.

I don't think it's that limited a term. I believe hot linking refers
to any text or image that has the tag attached to it that makes that
image or text into a clickable link. Image maps, for example, can
also be hot linked.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2016 07:35 AM, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg
Well, I've tried it with IE11, Edge, and Firefox. Works on all 3.

Chrome works fine too.

--
RonNNN

I've tried it on several PCs and several browsers (IE, Firefox, Edge; Win7 and Win10). No luck on any of them.

Perhaps wkrp.org has your service provider blocked?

I just tried it with my backup connection (LTE). It still works. I
haven't gotten it to fail yet.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hotlinking is a term used on the Internet that refers
to the practice of displaying an image on a website
by linking to the same image on another website,
rather than saving a copy of it on the website on
which the image will be shown.

I don't think it's that limited a term. I believe hot linking refers
to any text or image that has the tag attached to it that makes that
image or text into a clickable link. Image maps, for example, can also
be hot linked.

I've never seen the term used that way and can't find any online
information that defines hotlinking any other way than the definition
above.

To be clearer, hot-linking detection would be done by the server, not
the browser. I don't get any messages when viewing the image in
question.

Perhaps there is a proxy server in the OPs setup that's confused.
A single image can't be hotlinked to anything. When you click on
that URL you should be going right to the server and asking for the
image, there is no HTML involved where you might find a hotlink.

Perhaps the person getting the message should try a "view source"
to try to see where the message is coming from.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hotlinking is a term used on the Internet that refers
to the practice of displaying an image on a website
by linking to the same image on another website,
rather than saving a copy of it on the website on
which the image will be shown.

I don't think it's that limited a term. I believe hot linking refers
to any text or image that has the tag attached to it that makes that
image or text into a clickable link. Image maps, for example, can also
be hot linked.

I've never seen the term used that way and can't find any online
information that defines hotlinking any other way than the definition
above.

To be clearer, hot-linking detection would be done by the server, not
the browser. I don't get any messages when viewing the image in
question.

I've never heard of hotlinking in terms of *only* referring to bandwidth
stealing by linking directly to an image on another server. I've just
heard of it in general as referring to a hypertext link or hot spot on a
web page, which, can include the method you mentioned.

Perhaps there is a proxy server in the OPs setup that's confused.
A single image can't be hotlinked to anything. When you click on
that URL you should be going right to the server and asking for the
image, there is no HTML involved where you might find a hotlink.

Are you referring to just the img tag that references the single image
being that can't be hotlinked to anything?

Curious ..