Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dryer keeps tripping breaker

In my house the dryer trips the breaker so i started looking at the plug . I
found that iget 220 v across the hot legs but when i checked each leg to the
neutral i get nothing . So i ran a wire from the ground in another 110 v
outlet to the neutral leg in the dryer plug and the dryer ran for about 15
min. before tripping the breaker I should mention that it wouldnt run at all
untill i put the wire in the neutral lug from the other outlet

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-882232-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 8:44:06 PM UTC-5, thomas hoy wrote:
In my house the dryer trips the breaker so i started looking at the plug . I
found that iget 220 v across the hot legs but when i checked each leg to the
neutral i get nothing . So i ran a wire from the ground in another 110 v
outlet to the neutral leg in the dryer plug and the dryer ran for about 15
min. before tripping the breaker I should mention that it wouldnt run at all
until i put the wire in the neutral lug from the other outlet
--

Try to convince your breaker to stop taking LSD. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Broke Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 01:44:01 +0000, thomas hoy
wrote:

In my house the dryer trips the breaker so i started looking at the plug . I
found that iget 220 v across the hot legs but when i checked each leg to the
neutral i get nothing . So i ran a wire from the ground in another 110 v
outlet to the neutral leg in the dryer plug and the dryer ran for about 15
min. before tripping the breaker I should mention that it wouldnt run at all
untill i put the wire in the neutral lug from the other outlet

Ten years since this was posted, the breaker is still tripping. The rest
of the house burned down from an electrical fire....
All that remains is the burnt dryer and that damn breaker which trips
every 15 seconds, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.....
(and the dead guy who keeps resetting it).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In my house the dryer trips the breaker so i started looking at the plug . I
found that iget 220 v across the hot legs but when i checked each leg to the
neutral i get nothing . So i ran a wire from the ground in another 110 v
outlet to the neutral leg in the dryer plug and the dryer ran for about 15
min. before tripping the breaker I should mention that it wouldnt run at all
untill i put the wire in the neutral lug from the other outlet

Fix the neutral problem and start over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:01:28 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Could never quite get my mind around what the "neutral" is in an
electrical circuit..

Neither could the NFPA, that is why it is called the grounded
conductor in the code. It is the conductor that carries the unbalanced
circuit current in a center tapped transformer derived service.
That does get tossed on it's head when the grounded conductor is in a
corner grounded delta service. It will still look like the panel in
your house (two hots and a grounded white conductor) but it is 3
phase. The place I see it most is sewer lift stations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2016 06:01 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
t over.

Could never quite get my mind around what the "neutral" is in an
electrical circuit...

Electrically it goes to the same place as ground but for safety purposes
the ground and neutral are kept separate.

The neutral wire is designed to carry current...in the case of a 230
volt drier, the heating element would go across the full 230 volts
but the 115v motor would go between one hot leg and neutral.

A completely separate ground wire would go to the case and in the event
a hot wire would touch the case, the breaker would trip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Could never quite get my mind around what the "neutral" is in an
electrical circuit...

Why did you get shocked? g

--
Tekkie