Default Dryer keeps tripping the circuit breaker

I just moved into a house with an older (maybe 6-7 years old)
washer/dryer set. I was able to do one load of laundry in the dryer,
but since then the dryer trips the breaker every time I use it after
running for maybe 2 minutes. I tried lowering the heat but even at the
lowest heat setting it tripped. I finally set it to "no heat" and was
then able to run it for a full cycle without tripping the breaker.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Is there something I can do to
determine if it's a problem with the appliance or with the circuit
breaker?

Ed

wrote

I just moved into a house with an older (maybe 6-7 years old)
washer/dryer set. I was able to do one load of laundry in the dryer,
but since then the dryer trips the breaker every time I use it after
running for maybe 2 minutes. I tried lowering the heat but even at the
lowest heat setting it tripped. I finally set it to "no heat" and was
then able to run it for a full cycle without tripping the breaker.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Is there something I can do to
determine if it's a problem with the appliance or with the circuit
breaker?

Replace the breaker, it's easy and cheap. If that doesn't work call a
servicer or replace the dryer.

What brand is the dryer, serial number?

Appliance Repair Aid

I just moved into a house with an older (maybe 6-7 years old)
washer/dryer set. I was able to do one load of laundry in the dryer,
but since then the dryer trips the breaker every time I use it after
running for maybe 2 minutes. I tried lowering the heat but even at

the
lowest heat setting it tripped. I finally set it to "no heat" and

was
then able to run it for a full cycle without tripping the breaker.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Is there something I can do

determine if it's a problem with the appliance or with the circuit
breaker?

Hi,

A copy:

*******

We have a dryer ( could be any make! ) that is consistently blowing
fuses ( tripping breaker ) after about 5-10-15-20 minutes. We have
taken the dryer apart to check for clogs in the venting system and to
check if the heating core was okay and they seem to be fine. Any ideas?

Blowing the house fuses/breaker? If yes....the dryer usually will blow
a fuse/breaker right away if there is a problem in the dryer....more
often than not a fuse that blows after the dryer has been running a
while it is a fuse box issue. A test: Put 2 new 30 amp fuses in and run
the dryer with the heat on for 5-10 minutes, turn off the dryer and
quickly remove the fuses from the house fuse box and see if they are
hot at all ( especially on the bottom )....if the fuses are getting hot
they are probably melting the fuse link and not really blowing = fuse
box problem.

As for most things there are exceptions....a grounded heating element
-may- blow the fuse after the dryer has been on for a while, it is easy
to test for that as well. See link here (
http://www.applianceaid.com/grounded.html ). A burnt/loose power
cord/plug -may- also give this type of a problem.

*******

I'd try another 30 amp breaker before getting too deep into the dryer
itself...JMO!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Jerry G.

Try replacing the breaker. Sometimes when the breakers get old, they tend to
trip at a lower current. The internal contacts in the breaker heat up more
because they are warn, and thus the breaker trips.

If the new breaker is also tripping, then you will have to have the dryer
serviced. There may be problems with the heating element, control board, or
the motor. Rather than try to fix that yourself, it will be more reasonable
and safer to have an experienced service person do this type of work.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Ed" wrote in message

wrote

I just moved into a house with an older (maybe 6-7 years old)
washer/dryer set. I was able to do one load of laundry in the dryer,
but since then the dryer trips the breaker every time I use it after
running for maybe 2 minutes. I tried lowering the heat but even at the
lowest heat setting it tripped. I finally set it to "no heat" and was
then able to run it for a full cycle without tripping the breaker.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Is there something I can do to
determine if it's a problem with the appliance or with the circuit
breaker?

Replace the breaker, it's easy and cheap. If that doesn't work call a
servicer or replace the dryer.

What brand is the dryer, serial number?

Ed wrote:
wrote

I just moved into a house with an older (maybe 6-7 years old)
washer/dryer set. I was able to do one load of laundry in the

dryer,
but since then the dryer trips the breaker every time I use it

after
running for maybe 2 minutes. I tried lowering the heat but even at

the
lowest heat setting it tripped. I finally set it to "no heat" and

was
then able to run it for a full cycle without tripping the breaker.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Is there something I can

do to
determine if it's a problem with the appliance or with the circuit
breaker?

Replace the breaker, it's easy and cheap. If that doesn't work call a

servicer or replace the dryer.

Thanks, I went ahead an did just that and it seems to have fixed it. I
swapped out the old 30 amp breaker with a new 30 amp breaker from Home
Depot (cost a whole $9!) and was able to run a 10 minute test load of
laundry at full heat without tripping it. I'll give it a more thorough
test later but so far, so good. Thanks to everyone that helped!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

replying to Ed, Joe wrote:
Thank You. Had this same problem and would not have known to try the breaker.
Thought it was the heating element ...not. Then, cleaned all the lint - a
lot, so that was a good thing to do anyway...not the problem. Changed the
breaker...FIXED! So , Thank you Again!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-596253-.htm