Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roach baits

I don't have roaches inside but see a dead one outside once in a great
while. These are always American (large) roaches. So I keep roach baits in
the house - Combat used to be the major manufacturer but now all I see is
Raid brand. They come in two sizes - small (German) roaches or large. I
have a hard time finding those for large roaches but those for small
roaches are usually common.

Last time I needed a fresh supply I couldn't find the large roach size. A
employee (owner I think) of the hardware store I see there most of the time
said either size will work for either roach so I bought the small size.

What's been your experience? The big roaches can get through the smaller
openings into the small baits to eat the poison?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Mar 2016 18:02:57 GMT, KenK wrote:

I don't have roaches inside but see a dead one outside once in a great
while. These are always American (large) roaches. So I keep roach baits in
the house - Combat used to be the major manufacturer but now all I see is
Raid brand. They come in two sizes - small (German) roaches or large. I
have a hard time finding those for large roaches but those for small
roaches are usually common.

Last time I needed a fresh supply I couldn't find the large roach size. A
employee (owner I think) of the hardware store I see there most of the time
said either size will work for either roach so I bought the small size.

What's been your experience? The big roaches can get through the smaller
openings into the small baits to eat the poison?

TIA

Once we started treating the yard within 10 feet or so of the house
with Triazicide granules, I have not seen a palmetto bug in or out of
the house. I get the granules (spectracide) and use one of those
little crank handle spreaders. Wear a respirator and take a good
shower when you are done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Mar 2016 18:02:57 GMT, KenK wrote:

I don't have roaches inside but see a dead one outside once in a great
while. These are always American (large) roaches. So I keep roach baits in
the house - Combat used to be the major manufacturer but now all I see is
Raid brand. They come in two sizes - small (German) roaches or large. I
have a hard time finding those for large roaches but those for small
roaches are usually common.

Last time I needed a fresh supply I couldn't find the large roach size. A
employee (owner I think) of the hardware store I see there most of the time
said either size will work for either roach so I bought the small size.

What's been your experience? The big roaches can get through the smaller
openings into the small baits to eat the poison?

TIA

Never used the products called "roach motels" or such. The small
German roaches are the hardest to get rid of. In high humidity areas
like Florida, you can make something called a "cupcake". A bottle cap
with a dab a strawberry jam, and sprinkled with boric acid. The some
boric around the location for them to cross over. The BA slowly burns
and dehydrates them. They carry is back to their lair, too. You can
also get a "bellow powder duster" that scatters the BA around, in and
behind places they may hide. In a garage or cabinet. Here in the
desert we don't have much of a problem with roaches, so treatment is
less intensive.

_Pesticide Powder Duster_ (Amazon)

https://tinyurl.com/j53mobp
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2016 2:02 PM, KenK wrote:
I don't have roaches inside but see a dead one outside once in a great
while. These are always American (large) roaches. So I keep roach baits in
the house - Combat used to be the major manufacturer but now all I see is
Raid brand. They come in two sizes - small (German) roaches or large. I
have a hard time finding those for large roaches but those for small
roaches are usually common.

Last time I needed a fresh supply I couldn't find the large roach size. A
employee (owner I think) of the hardware store I see there most of the time
said either size will work for either roach so I bought the small size.

What's been your experience? The big roaches can get through the smaller
openings into the small baits to eat the poison?

TIA

I've not used roach baits in many years. However,
being AHR, someone might suggest to enlarge the
holes.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 21:18:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/28/2016 2:02 PM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Baits are just some kind of food and boric acid.
Bacon grease would work fine or you could use crushed dry dog food.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 3:11:58 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
[...]

When a customer of mine was having a restaurant built, the contractor spread Roach Prufe powder inside the walls before closing them up. I don't recall ever seeing a roach in his restaurant. I think it killed everything but flies which he used bug zappers and fly fans to control. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Roach Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Check out their roach, termite and mold control products. ^_^

http://www.copperbrite.com/roach.html

[8~{} Uncle Moldy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Mar 2016 16:26:11 GMT, KenK wrote:

wrote in :

Baits are just some kind of food and boric acid.

Hmm. Then their three month limit as effective baits is just for sales?
They should last almost forever? Or maybe the food they use loses appeal
after three months? Anyone know? (I'm a sucker for following directions.)

I think they assume the food may be gone by then. I doubt roaches care
if it is old, unless you are giving them plenty of fresh food to eat.
Those European and Asian roaches can eat damn near anything. I am not
sure if they communicate enough to avoid baits but I know ants will
quickly figure out what is killing them and stop eating it. I haven't
seen a sugar eating ant here in decades.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/29/2016 3:49 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

We just put boric acid powder everywhere we thought the little critters
might cross paths with it and eliminated the nuisance. That stuff works
great!

--
Maggie

is there a Roach Motel for Spiders? T[_6_] Home Repair 34 April 3rd 15 09:26 AM
roach in dishwasher badgolferman Home Repair 21 July 20th 13 11:52 PM
Ant baits Stormin Mormon Home Repair 24 May 3rd 11 04:25 AM
Roach-like insects - barry martin Home Repair 0 June 21st 04 02:33 AM