Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shortening piano hinge

I *think* this should work?
- File off one head of pin
- Slide pin out far enough to clear knuckles to be removed
- Cut off even number of knuckles
- File edges clean.
- Slide pin back into place
- Trim pin to ~1/8" longer than required
- Peen/swage pin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/19/2016 08:26 PM, Don Y wrote:
I *think* this should work?
- File off one head of pin
- Slide pin out far enough to clear knuckles to be removed
- Cut off even number of knuckles
- File edges clean.
- Slide pin back into place
- Trim pin to ~1/8" longer than required
- Peen/swage pin

Yep, that works fine. I've re-used a few piano hinges my self.

A few years back my neighbors tossed out an old piano and most of it
I've re-used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 18:26:42 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

I *think* this should work?
- File off one head of pin
- Slide pin out far enough to clear knuckles to be removed
- Cut off even number of knuckles
- File edges clean.
- Slide pin back into place
- Trim pin to ~1/8" longer than required
- Peen/swage pin

I usually just cut it off just past the desired length and spike the
last knuckle to hold the pin.