Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HP Compaq: DOA - Obvious Things To Check?

I just posted this in the Windows Vista NG, but then realized that I
might have a better chance here.

Family members HP Compaq/Older Athlon X2 just went belly-up.

Only sign of life is a single green led glowing on the mobo: no power
supply fan, no CPU fan, no response to DVD drive's eject button...

First thought was power supply, but when I swapped in a known good power
supply, no change.

Then I figured "Maybe the on/off switch"... so I pulled out the switch
and used a knife to jumper the two leads coming into it - figuring that
would duplicate the action of the switch... but no luck there either.

Unless somebody has a better idea, next thing I am going to do is to
revisit the power supply and verify correct voltage on each output lead.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 1:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I just posted this in the Windows Vista NG, but then realized that I
might have a better chance here.

Family members HP Compaq/Older Athlon X2 just went belly-up.

Only sign of life is a single green led glowing on the mobo: no power
supply fan, no CPU fan, no response to DVD drive's eject button...

First thought was power supply, but when I swapped in a known good power
supply, no change.

Then I figured "Maybe the on/off switch"... so I pulled out the switch
and used a knife to jumper the two leads coming into it - figuring that
would duplicate the action of the switch... but no luck there either.

Unless somebody has a better idea, next thing I am going to do is to
revisit the power supply and verify correct voltage on each output lead.

If the power supply fan ain't running, it's likely somewhere in that path.
Pull the power cable and short the "on" pin to ground. Pinouts.ru
will show you which pin that is for your particular configuration.
If the PS fan runs, start from the switch and check all the connections
down to the header. Not much you can do in between.

I had a system similar to that. Power switch didn't work.
Grounding the pin brought up the PS. That path goes thru
one of the huge glue chips on a multilayer board that's impossible
to debug. Nothing but the chip in the path.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 1:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I just posted this in the Windows Vista NG, but then realized that I
might have a better chance here.

Family members HP Compaq/Older Athlon X2 just went belly-up.

Only sign of life is a single green led glowing on the mobo: no power
supply fan, no CPU fan, no response to DVD drive's eject button...

First thought was power supply, but when I swapped in a known good power
supply, no change.

Then I figured "Maybe the on/off switch"... so I pulled out the switch
and used a knife to jumper the two leads coming into it - figuring that
would duplicate the action of the switch... but no luck there either.

Unless somebody has a better idea, next thing I am going to do is to
revisit the power supply and verify correct voltage on each output lead.

Examine the (electrolytic) capacitors on the motherboard (and inside the
power supply) for "bulges"/leaks. The tops of the caps will appear "domed"
(instead of perfectly *flat*) when they have failed. You may also
notice a brownish residue on the top *or* leaking from the bottom.
Sometimes, the cap will have lifted off the circuit board and tilted
as it "vented" ("blew its wad").

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 03:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I just posted this in the Windows Vista NG, but then realized that I
might have a better chance here.

Family members HP Compaq/Older Athlon X2 just went belly-up.

Only sign of life is a single green led glowing on the mobo: no power
supply fan, no CPU fan, no response to DVD drive's eject button...

First thought was power supply, but when I swapped in a known good power
supply, no change.

Then I figured "Maybe the on/off switch"... so I pulled out the switch
and used a knife to jumper the two leads coming into it - figuring that
would duplicate the action of the switch... but no luck there either.

Unless somebody has a better idea, next thing I am going to do is to
revisit the power supply and verify correct voltage on each output lead.

If it did the same with a known good supply then I would not suspect the
original.

First thing I'd do is reset the CMOS (using the jumper)

Next, remove all components including RAM etc...if the mobo is good, you
should at least hear the RAM error beeps.

Then start putting things back to see what the problem is.

Occasionally problems are as simple as cleaning the pins on the RAM etc.

If still, nothing the mobo is probably bad but in a few extremely rare
circumstances I have once found all I had to do was remove then replace
the CPU.

Also once I found the CMOS battery was low but not all the way dead
(approx 2.2 v) and put the mobo in an illogical state (

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 03:43 PM, Don Y wrote:

Examine the (electrolytic) capacitors on the motherboard (and inside the
power supply) for "bulges"/leaks. The tops of the caps will appear "domed"
(instead of perfectly *flat*) when they have failed. You may also
notice a brownish residue on the top *or* leaking from the bottom.
Sometimes, the cap will have lifted off the circuit board and tilted
as it "vented" ("blew its wad").

Yep. If I see bad caps, I condemn the mobo and go no further.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per philo:
If it did the same with a known good supply then I would not suspect the
original.

I was not ruling out RCI on my part - my assumption having been that if
the connectors plug into the mobo, it must be the right kind of PS.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

================================================= ==================

Family members HP Compaq/Older Athlon X2 just went belly-up.

Only sign of life is a single green led glowing on the mobo: no power
supply fan, no CPU fan, no response to DVD drive's eject button...

First thought was power supply, but when I swapped in a known good power
supply, no change.

Then I figured "Maybe the on/off switch"... so I pulled out the switch
and used a knife to jumper the two leads coming into it - figuring that
would duplicate the action of the switch... but no luck there either.

Unless somebody has a better idea, next thing I am going to do is to
revisit the power supply and verify correct voltage on each output lead.

Look at all the caps on the mobo. Any that are convex on the top??
Sounds to me like the mobo is shorted due to bad caps (very common
problem - particularly if it's been running a bit slow lately)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 04:14 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:
If it did the same with a known good supply then I would not suspect the
original.

I was not ruling out RCI on my part - my assumption having been that if
the connectors plug into the mobo, it must be the right kind of PS.

That's correct.

Possibly 15 years ago, Dell had a non-standard ATX configuration
but I am sure that does not apply.

BTW: Might was well look at the pins on the mobo, if they are badly
tarnished or burned looking ...no need to go further.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 02:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Unless somebody has a better idea, next thing I am going to do is to
revisit the power supply and verify correct voltage on each output lead.

The newer power supplies are deceptive.

http://www.howtogeek.com/172933/how-...Speed=noscript

You need the jumper before the power supply itself fires up. The last
time I had a problem that didn't trace back to a defective supply it was
a bad floppy drive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per (PeteCresswell):
I was not ruling out RCI on my part - my assumption having been that if
the connectors plug into the mobo, it must be the right kind of PS.

Bingo! Either RCI or a bad second PSU.

Put in another PSU and it came right up.

After, if course, I had hosed the BIOS settings by replacing the CMOS
battery - just on GPs... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 19:43:07 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per (PeteCresswell):
I was not ruling out RCI on my part - my assumption having been that if
the connectors plug into the mobo, it must be the right kind of PS.

Bingo! Either RCI or a bad second PSU.

Put in another PSU and it came right up.

After, if course, I had hosed the BIOS settings by replacing the CMOS
battery - just on GPs... -)

Curious. Is this newer PSU a higher wattage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 06:43 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per (PeteCresswell):
I was not ruling out RCI on my part - my assumption having been that if
the connectors plug into the mobo, it must be the right kind of PS.

Bingo! Either RCI or a bad second PSU.

Put in another PSU and it came right up.

In your first post you said "known good"

Sheesh, what are you, a human being

After, if course, I had hosed the BIOS settings by replacing the CMOS
battery - just on GPs... -)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Oren:

Curious. Is this newer PSU a higher wattage?

No - same, cannibalized from an old PC.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per philo:

In your first post you said "known good"
Sheesh, what are you, a human being :

RCI strikes again.

But it did come out of a new box... my guess is that there was some
incompatibility that I did not know enough to recognize.

I put it back with a note on the box "Suspect..."...

--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 9:39:39 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:

In your first post you said "known good"
Sheesh, what are you, a human being :

RCI strikes again.

But it did come out of a new box... my guess is that there was some
incompatibility that I did not know enough to recognize.

I put it back with a note on the box "Suspect..."...

--
Pete Cresswell

I replaced a Dell P/S that checked good with a tester...the guy at the repair shop said a standard replacement wouldn't work. I did go back and tell him it worked fine in the Dell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/16 4:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I just posted this in the Windows Vista NG, but then realized that I
might have a better chance here.

Family members HP Compaq/Older Athlon X2 just went belly-up.

Only sign of life is a single green led glowing on the mobo: no power
supply fan, no CPU fan, no response to DVD drive's eject button...

First thought was power supply, but when I swapped in a known good power
supply, no change.

Then I figured "Maybe the on/off switch"... so I pulled out the switch
and used a knife to jumper the two leads coming into it - figuring that
would duplicate the action of the switch... but no luck there either.

Unless somebody has a better idea, next thing I am going to do is to
revisit the power supply and verify correct voltage on each output lead.

Given the rock bottom price of entry level-- or even refurb-- computers
these days, I'd bury it with full honors and go buy a new one;-)

--
It's every American's duty to support his government...but not
necessarily in the style to which it has become accustomed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/14/2016 09:39 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:

In your first post you said "known good"
Sheesh, what are you, a human being :

RCI strikes again.

What is RCI?

I should have asked sooner

But it did come out of a new box... my guess is that there was some
incompatibility that I did not know enough to recognize.

I put it back with a note on the box "Suspect..."...

Unless the power switch somehow got flipped to 220v

I've seen that on a few very rare occasions

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per philo:
What is RCI?

I should have asked sooner

I was trolling....

It is a sophisticated technical term developed by my group during the
mainframe user support days: Recto-Cranial Inversion..... -)
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 1:11:56 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:
What is RCI?

I should have asked sooner

I was trolling....

It is a sophisticated technical term developed by my group during the
mainframe user support days: Recto-Cranial Inversion..... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...ps63f58639.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2016 7:44 AM, bob_villain wrote:
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 9:39:39 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:

In your first post you said "known good"
Sheesh, what are you, a human being :

RCI strikes again.

But it did come out of a new box... my guess is that there was some
incompatibility that I did not know enough to recognize.

I put it back with a note on the box "Suspect..."...

--
Pete Cresswell

I replaced a Dell P/S that checked good with a tester...the guy at the repair shop said a standard replacement wouldn't work. I did go back and tell him it worked fine in the Dell.

I've read reports that, for a while, Dell used a different pinout on
their power supplies. I've never encountered one in the wild.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/14/2016 01:11 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:
What is RCI?

I should have asked sooner

I was trolling....

It is a sophisticated technical term developed by my group during the
mainframe user support days: Recto-Cranial Inversion..... -)

I should have known

HA!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 2:43:41 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
On 3/14/2016 7:44 AM, bob_villain wrote:
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 9:39:39 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:

In your first post you said "known good"
Sheesh, what are you, a human being :

RCI strikes again.

But it did come out of a new box... my guess is that there was some
incompatibility that I did not know enough to recognize.

I put it back with a note on the box "Suspect..."...

--
Pete Cresswell

I replaced a Dell P/S that checked good with a tester...the guy at the repair shop said a standard replacement wouldn't work. I did go back and tell him it worked fine in the Dell.

I've read reports that, for a while, Dell used a different pinout on
their power supplies. I've never encountered one in the wild.

....long time ago, '96 thru '00. Too many people bitched!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 12:42:33 -0700, mike wrote:

On 3/14/2016 7:44 AM, bob_villain wrote:
On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 9:39:39 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:

In your first post you said "known good"
Sheesh, what are you, a human being :

RCI strikes again.

But it did come out of a new box... my guess is that there was some
incompatibility that I did not know enough to recognize.

I put it back with a note on the box "Suspect..."...

--
Pete Cresswell

I replaced a Dell P/S that checked good with a tester...the guy at the repair shop said a standard replacement wouldn't work. I did go back and tell him it worked fine in the Dell.

I've read reports that, for a while, Dell used a different pinout on
their power supplies. I've never encountered one in the wild.

It is true, I have one in my junk box. Fortunately they got the green
wire off of pin 14 so it wouldn't power up and blow anything either
way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 13:02:33 -0700 (PDT), bob_villain
wrote:

[...]

Acer has done it on their latest machines - 12 pin power plug from PS
to MOBO.