Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Check the obvious.

Fitted a replacement dimmer switch for a lady yesterday, restored the power,
switched on the dimmer, no lights came on. Checked the connections, re read
the instructions, tried again, no lights. Puzzled handyman.

Just then the lady brought me a cup of tea. "Having problems" she asked. I
explained that the lights wouldn't come on, although the switch was
correctly wired.

"When the dimmer switch failed it left the lights on, so I took the bulbs
out" she said.

Doh! Moral of the story, dimmers only work when bulbs are present.

Installed a washing machine & dishwasher today, both wired into FCU's in a
brand new house. Checked plumbing for leaks, all OK, didn't switch either
on as they were both full of bits, samples of powder etc & it was late.

Got a call from the lady while on the way home, neither machine would work.

Got her to check the CU & make sure power was on. Assumed that the FCU's
didn't have any fuses in. Felt stupid for not having looked, but they
always come with fuses surely?

Just about to turn around & go back when I hear her husband in the
background saying "do you think these switches on the wall marked 'washing
machine & dishwasher' should be on"?

Moral of the story, check before you leave :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-14 22:17:54 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

Have you never heard the principle of the six Ps?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-14 22:17:54 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

Of course I have.

Pasties, Pork Pies, Pint of Bitter, Portion of Chips, Porno Pictures & Power
Tools.

Obvious innit?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-14 22:50:41 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-02-14 22:17:54 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Moral of the story, check before you leave :-)

Have you never heard the principle of the six Ps?

Of course I have.

Pasties, Pork Pies, Pint of Bitter, Portion of Chips, Porno Pictures & Power
Tools.

Obvious innit?

Proper preparation prevents **** poor performance.

Although I like your version.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-14 22:50:41 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-02-14 22:17:54 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Moral of the story, check before you leave :-)

Have you never heard the principle of the six Ps?

Of course I have.

Pasties, Pork Pies, Pint of Bitter, Portion of Chips, Porno Pictures
& Power Tools.

Obvious innit?

Proper preparation prevents **** poor performance.

I knew that :-) The version I grew up with was Proper Planning.......

Although I like your version.

Mmmm. Pasties.......

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was always taught "If you're gonna make a cock-up make it a good one"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

1501 says...
I was always taught "If you're gonna make a cock-up make it a good one"

My favourite one is "measure once cut twice" :-)

and on a slightly different topic

"It's better to have a bird behind the bush than one in
hand"
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
Fitted a replacement dimmer switch for a lady yesterday, restored the
power, switched on the dimmer, no lights came on. Checked the
connections, re read the instructions, tried again, no lights. Puzzled
handyman.

Just then the lady brought me a cup of tea. "Having problems" she asked.
I explained that the lights wouldn't come on, although the switch was
correctly wired.

"When the dimmer switch failed it left the lights on, so I took the bulbs
out" she said.

Doh! Moral of the story, dimmers only work when bulbs are present.

Surely you must have seen that the 'bulbs' (*) were missing!!

Installed a washing machine & dishwasher today, both wired into FCU's in a
brand new house. Checked plumbing for leaks, all OK, didn't switch either
on as they were both full of bits, samples of powder etc & it was late.

I would have at least checked power was getting to the appliances!!

Got a call from the lady while on the way home, neither machine would
work.

Got her to check the CU & make sure power was on. Assumed that the FCU's
didn't have any fuses in. Felt stupid for not having looked, but they
always come with fuses surely?

As above statemement

Just about to turn around & go back when I hear her husband in the
background saying "do you think these switches on the wall marked 'washing
machine & dishwasher' should be on"?

Moral of the story, check before you leave :-)

As above statement

HTH

John

* bulbs are planted in the garden, lamps are what is put into a light
fitting

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..
Fitted a replacement dimmer switch for a lady yesterday, restored the
power, switched on the dimmer, no lights came on. Checked the
connections, re read the instructions, tried again, no lights. Puzzled
handyman.

Just then the lady brought me a cup of tea. "Having problems" she
asked. I explained that the lights wouldn't come on, although the
switch was correctly wired.

"When the dimmer switch failed it left the lights on, so I took the
bulbs out" she said.

Doh! Moral of the story, dimmers only work when bulbs are present.

Surely you must have seen that the 'bulbs' (*) were missing!!

Alas no. The shades completely obscured the lack of bulbs.

SNIP

* bulbs are planted in the garden, lamps are what is put into a light
fitting.

Only if you are an electrician. Normal people call them bulbs.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

John wrote:

* bulbs are planted in the garden, lamps are what is put into a light
fitting.

Only if you are an electrician. Normal people call them bulbs.

Aircraft electricians call the filaments :-)

Dave