Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Winders Vista

Anybody still running this one ? I have an old laptop that Vista is the only
OS I could get to load and I'm having trouble configuring the wireless
connection . It hooks up to my intranet when using an ethernet cable but
won't when using wireless . Can't figure out how to change the network name
from the default to what I call my local network , and cannot access other
comps or the internet on wireless .
This comp will replace the one that I had hooked to my TV that died . I do
have a cable available at that location but would still like to have
wireless work too .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 08:44 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Anybody still running this one ? I have an old laptop that Vista is the only
OS I could get to load and I'm having trouble configuring the wireless
connection . It hooks up to my intranet when using an ethernet cable but
won't when using wireless . Can't figure out how to change the network name
from the default to what I call my local network , and cannot access other
comps or the internet on wireless .
This comp will replace the one that I had hooked to my TV that died . I do
have a cable available at that location but would still like to have
wireless work too .

Don't need to change the network name,

if you can see the network, just click on it and enter the password when
prompted.

If access is denied it's probably because your wireless card is running
a no longer supported protocol

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 08:44:24 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I do
have a cable available at that location but would still like to have
wireless work too .

Have you checked devices in the control panel for the wireless driver
and it is installed and working?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I do
have a cable available at that location but would still like to have
wireless work too .

Have you checked devices in the control panel for the wireless driver
and it is installed and working?

I have no problem connecting to the wireless router , the problem is that
none of the other comps on the network are visible , and I can't access the
internet . This may all be moot , I have it playing to the TV but am having
synch problems with media player when in fullscreen mode . Might be that a
1.5 Ghz processor with one gigabyte of RAM isn't up to the task .
Shouldn't be much running , this is a fresh clean install .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I do
have a cable available at that location but would still like to have
wireless work too .

Have you checked devices in the control panel for the wireless driver
and it is installed and working?

I have no problem connecting to the wireless router , the problem is that
none of the other comps on the network are visible , and I can't access the
internet . This may all be moot , I have it playing to the TV but am having
synch problems with media player when in fullscreen mode . Might be that a
1.5 Ghz processor with one gigabyte of RAM isn't up to the task .
Shouldn't be much running , this is a fresh clean install .

Sounds like a router configuration issue.
Check access list to make sure you haven't restricted access.
Assume by "no problem connecting to the router" you mean the setup pages?
You'll have to have the DNS servers set up correctly to access the web.
Normally, the defaults just work, but no telling what configuration
changes have been made.
I found that the easiest way to make a windows network transparent is
to use the same username and password on all machines. Otherwise,
you have some configuring to do. I never figgered that out.
There are also a number of options in the network setup on the vista
machine. File sharing options???

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I do
have a cable available at that location but would still like to have
wireless work too .

Have you checked devices in the control panel for the wireless driver
and it is installed and working?

I have no problem connecting to the wireless router , the problem is that
none of the other comps on the network are visible , and I can't access the
internet . This may all be moot , I have it playing to the TV but am having
synch problems with media player when in fullscreen mode . Might be that a
1.5 Ghz processor with one gigabyte of RAM isn't up to the task .
Shouldn't be much running , this is a fresh clean install .

Just what I suspected, your router is WPA-2 but the wireless card on
your machine is an old WPA...since the OS is Vista, I have no doubt it's
an obsolete card. Though you can connect, there will be negotiation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Dig around in Control PanelNetwork and Internet Network and Sharing
Center ...and Control Panel Network and Internet HomeGroup

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This unit was originally XP home , I wiped it and installed Pro when I got
it (used) . The wife was using it until it started doing the BSOD on
startup . I tried Ubuntu , no joy , tried reinstalling XP (home and pro
both) , no joy . I don't like Vista , but it would load and runs . I
remember at one time we had a desktop that was Vista and the rest of my
comps were XP , we had communication probs with it then too . The computer
dates from 2005 , could well be a compatibility problem with the new (b,g,n
?) router .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2016 05:52 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
tion.

This unit was originally XP home , I wiped it and installed Pro when I got
it (used) . The wife was using it until it started doing the BSOD on
startup . I tried Ubuntu , no joy , tried reinstalling XP (home and pro
both) , no joy . I don't like Vista , but it would load and runs . I
remember at one time we had a desktop that was Vista and the rest of my
comps were XP , we had communication probs with it then too . The computer
dates from 2005 , could well be a compatibility problem with the new (b,g,n
?) router .

Much to my surprise , once Sp1 or Sp2 is installed... Vista is a usable
system.

If your wireless card came with your 2005 machine it's obsolete.

If you purchased it more recently however, look up the specs

I went through my junk box last year and got rid of all my old WPA
wireless cards, they are not compatible with the WPA-2 wireless routers

http://www.howtogeek.com/167783/htg-...hy-it-matters/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ok, more info helps

Try this:
Open Registry Editor, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa\

Create LMCompatibilityLevel (DWord) and set the value to 1

I don't remember whether you have to reboot...do it to be sure.

I don't have a clear picture of all your other machines.
If all your other machines are xp, that should do it.
If other machines are newer, they might also require the registry edit.
But then, they would have had issues also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 17:52:11 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I remember at one time we had a desktop that was Vista and the rest of my
comps were XP , we had communication probs with it then too .

Not related, but you just reminded me about how systems hold
"elections" with the boot. For example, booting XP first before a 95
unit could join the group - not the other way around? Sorta like a
server with a primary and secondary domain servers. Been a long time
and my head is foggy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
Anybody still running this one ? I have an old laptop that Vista is
the only OS I could get to load and I'm having trouble configuring
the wireless connection . It hooks up to my intranet when using an
ethernet cable but won't when using wireless . Can't figure out how
to change the network name from the default to what I call my local
network , and cannot access other comps or the internet on wireless .
This comp will replace the one that I had hooked to my TV that died
. I do have a cable available at that location but would still like
to have wireless work too .

I have tossed in the towel on this one . Couldn't get Vista to perform
predictably streaming video when it worked at all . Tried several more
versions of Linux based OS's , all crashed during install . XP gave BSOD's
on startup . It ain't worth the hassle .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/14/2016 03:26 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I have tossed in the towel on this one . Couldn't get Vista to perform
predictably streaming video when it worked at all . Tried several more
versions of Linux based OS's , all crashed during install . XP gave BSOD's
on startup . It ain't worth the hassle .

Good idea.

Though I am a firm believer keeping older h/w going.

I do not bother working on anything less than a 2ghz cpu with less than
2 gigs of RAM
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 03/14/2016 03:26 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I have tossed in the towel on this one . Couldn't get Vista to
perform predictably streaming video when it worked at all . Tried
several more versions of Linux based OS's , all crashed during
install . XP gave BSOD's on startup . It ain't worth the hassle .

Good idea.

Though I am a firm believer keeping older h/w going.

I do not bother working on anything less than a 2ghz cpu with less
than 2 gigs of RAM

This unit was fine running XP , but it has died now . If I could figure out
what was causing the BS , I might try to repair it ... but I'm not even
going totry . Cost me 50 bucks at a yard sale 8 or 9 years ago , was so
eaten up with virus that they couldn't do anything with it . I wiped it and
installed a new OS and used it until the wife decided it was hers ... now
she's got the dual core tosh I replaced it with .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/14/2016 08:33 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
philo wrote:
On 03/14/2016 03:26 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I have tossed in the towel on this one . Couldn't get Vista to
perform predictably streaming video when it worked at all . Tried
several more versions of Linux based OS's , all crashed during
install . XP gave BSOD's on startup . It ain't worth the hassle .

Good idea.

Though I am a firm believer keeping older h/w going.

I do not bother working on anything less than a 2ghz cpu with less
than 2 gigs of RAM

This unit was fine running XP , but it has died now . If I could figure out
what was causing the BS ,

If you want to find out, might as well start by running memtest to see
if the RAM is any good.

Next, a hard drive diagnostic

I might try to repair it ... but I'm not even
going totry . Cost me 50 bucks at a yard sale 8 or 9 years ago , was so
eaten up with virus that they couldn't do anything with it . I wiped it and
installed a new OS and used it until the wife decided it was hers ... now
she's got the dual core tosh I replaced it with .

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Well , it turns out the HP a1600n that was up in the attic DOES work .
IIRC I thought it was having a compatibility problem with the VGA/HDMI
device . Turns out I just wasn't waiting long enough for it to come up . I
dumped a bunch of programs that aren't needed to stream video ... now if I
can get flash player to update , I'll be good to go . Been having problems
with flash updates on all my comps . I wonder if I paused my adblocker ...
This box has an Athlon2 2Ghz dual core processor and now has 3 gigs of RAM
..May just have to d/l torrents of what we want , seems most are out there
the day after they air .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 20:33:31 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

This unit was fine running XP , but it has died now . If I could figure out
what was causing the BS , I might try to repair it ... but I'm not even
going totry . Cost me 50 bucks at a yard sale 8 or 9 years ago , was so
eaten up with virus that they couldn't do anything with it . I wiped it and
installed a new OS and used it until the wife decided it was hers ... now
she's got the dual core tosh I replaced it with .
--
Snag

I have to ask!

Why did you even try to install Vista, knowing it was Microsofts biggest
failure of all time. The scary thing is that Windows 7, 8, and 10 are
all based on the corrupt code of Vista. That's why I'll never use
anything newer than XP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 23:39:48 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Why did you even try to install Vista, knowing it was Microsofts
biggest failure of all time. The scary thing is that Windows 7, 8,
and 10 are all based on the corrupt code of Vista. That's why I'll
never use anything newer than XP.

Just to **** you off? Wait until your XP crap fails. Back to the
animal barn you go.

Umm , is it XP in particular or Winders in general you don 't like ? If I
could get the wife to go along I'd be using Ubuntu , but she refuses to
budge . And you know what they say about "if Mama ain't happy" ... and so we
still use Windows . But AFAIC XP was the last good one .

--
Snag

Nah, you're just feeding the Oren troll. I've had that idiot in my
killfile since the first day I came to alt.home.repair.

I agree, XP was the last good one, and Windows98 was the other good one.
(I use both). Windows 2000 was tolerable, nothing else made by MS was
ever worth anything.

Although I hate Linux, and would never even consider trying it again, I
suggest you buy another computer if you want to use Ubuntu. Better for
the marriage too

Anyhow, I wish there was a THIRD choice for operating systems.....
(which runs on a PC), because Macintosh is another choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/16/2016 11:39 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

[snip]

Umm , is it XP in particular or Winders in general you don 't like ? If I
could get the wife to go along I'd be using Ubuntu , but she refuses to
budge . And you know what they say about "if Mama ain't happy" ... and so we
still use Windows . But AFAIC XP was the last good one .

Windows 2000 might be called obsolete now. It was still better once.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Man's Mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original
dimensions." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

O/T: Vista Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 67 December 30th 11 04:53 AM
Replacement winders, lead and the EPA gpsman Home Repair 6 January 6th 11 02:42 AM
Fax for Vista Jon[_12_] Electronics 0 November 21st 10 02:39 AM
OT MS Vista Question SteveB[_10_] Metalworking 2 February 6th 09 01:16 PM
Vista Cliff Metalworking 1 February 16th 06 02:11 PM