Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI Circuit Curiosity

After battling a couple of GFCI circuit ocasionally over a
few years, I discovered something interesting. If I put
both GFCI breakers on one buses, they both stay on. If I
put both on the other bus, they both pop randomly after
anywhere from a few minutes to a few months.

I'd be interested to hear any insights anyone here might
have on this.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 21:01:59 -0600, croy wrote:

After battling a couple of GFCI circuit ocasionally over a
few years, I discovered something interesting. If I put
both GFCI breakers on one buses, they both stay on. If I
put both on the other bus, they both pop randomly after
anywhere from a few minutes to a few months.

I'd be interested to hear any insights anyone here might
have on this.

What happens if you move just one of them to the other
bus?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 7:28:38 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 21:01:59 -0600, croy wrote:

After battling a couple of GFCI circuit ocasionally over a
few years, I discovered something interesting. If I put
both GFCI breakers on one buses, they both stay on. If I
put both on the other bus, they both pop randomly after
anywhere from a few minutes to a few months.

I'd be interested to hear any insights anyone here might
have on this.

What happens if you move just one of them to the other
bus?

And I assume they always remain on the same two circuits?
I can't imagine what could account for that behavior, where
which hot the GFCI is on matters. What's on those two circuits?
Not that it should really mater. These are the only two GFCI
breakers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 19:01:59 -0800, croy
wrote:

After battling a couple of GFCI circuit ocasionally over a
few years, I discovered something interesting. If I put
both GFCI breakers on one buses, they both stay on. If I
put both on the other bus, they both pop randomly after
anywhere from a few minutes to a few months.

I'd be interested to hear any insights anyone here might
have on this.

Although I can't rationalize this to your problem, the catch all for
strange problems affecting differences between the two ungrounded
conductors is to be sure the neutral connections are good going back
to the utility. Do you measure exactly the same from neutral to each
ungrounded conductor when the panel is energized?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

After battling a couple of GFCI circuit ocasionally over a
few years, I discovered something interesting. If I put
both GFCI breakers on one buses, they both stay on. If I
put both on the other bus, they both pop randomly after
anywhere from a few minutes to a few months.

I'd be interested to hear any insights anyone here might
have on this.

Although I can't rationalize this to your problem, the catch all for
strange problems affecting differences between the two ungrounded
conductors is to be sure the neutral connections are good going back
to the utility. Do you measure exactly the same from neutral to each
ungrounded conductor when the panel is energized?

Just for clarity...

In this case, when you say "each ungrounded conductor" do you mean the
hot wire at every breaker or just the main hots coming into the panel,
i.e. each of the 2 busses?

In other words, how exactly would you suggest the measurements be taken?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, the test should be made between the neutral bus and each "hot"
(AKA ungrounded conductor) . Ideal is a reading exactly the same but
if it is within a volt or so it is probably OK. Any difference
reflects voltage drop in the neutral.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 06:28:27 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 21:01:59 -0600, croy wrote:

After battling a couple of GFCI circuit ocasionally over a
few years, I discovered something interesting. If I put
both GFCI breakers on one buses, they both stay on. If I
put both on the other bus, they both pop randomly after
anywhere from a few minutes to a few months.

I'd be interested to hear any insights anyone here might
have on this.

What happens if you move just one of them to the other
bus?

It eventually trips.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 04:55:06 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 7:28:38 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 21:01:59 -0600, croy wrote:

After battling a couple of GFCI circuit ocasionally over a
few years, I discovered something interesting. If I put
both GFCI breakers on one buses, they both stay on. If I
put both on the other bus, they both pop randomly after
anywhere from a few minutes to a few months.

I'd be interested to hear any insights anyone here might
have on this.

What happens if you move just one of them to the other
bus?

And I assume they always remain on the same two circuits?

Yes.

I can't imagine what could account for that behavior, where
which hot the GFCI is on matters. What's on those two circuits?

On the bath circuit, just a WaterPik. On the kitchen
circuit, there is a toaster plugged in (but I've tested
without the toaster plugged in, and the results are the
same).

Not that it should really mater. These are the only two GFCI
breakers?

Yes, although I'm thinking of adding another for the Kitchen
Garbage Disposer Circuit.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"croy" wrote in message ...

After battling a couple of GFCI circuit ocasionally over a
few years, I discovered something interesting. If I put
both GFCI breakers on one buses, they both stay on. If I
put both on the other bus, they both pop randomly after
anywhere from a few minutes to a few months.

I'd be interested to hear any insights anyone here might
have on this.

--
croy

Without checking system I will say you neutral is screwed up.
Check ground and neutral that are not reversed.