Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Difference between F32,FO32 and FOS32 fluorescent lamps

El miércoles, 16 de junio de 2004, 9:44:49 (UTC-6), No Spam escribió:
Hi,

My fluorescent fixture requires 4 FO32 or FOS32 T8 bulbs.
I can only find F32 bulbs at Home Depot or Lowes. So Can
I use F32?

What does F,FO and FOS mean anyway?

Thanks.

Y.

Sylvania FO32 light bulbs are becoming the new standard in fluorescent lighting applications, surpassing the older, thicker-bulb technology. The FO32 is also commonly referred to as F32T8 or simply T8 lighting. In fact, Sylvania is the only manufacturer to use F032; they use the 'O' in the description to stand for the brand name Octron. The reason for this peculiar name is that the distance across the bulb is 8 eighths of an inch. These bulbs are perfect replacements for the old style ones because they are the same length and have the same 2-pin base on each end, so there is no need to install new fixtures. A change in ballast, however, is necessary as these F032 light bulbs use electronic ballasts instead of magnetic ballasts. (http://www.elightbulbs.com/library/s...ight_bulbs.cfm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Interesting that you comment on the ballast type. The average consumer doesn't know you can't use the bulbs interchangeably. And, who knows what kind of ballast they have? or how to find out what they have? I'm sure most people don't even know what a ballast is. Seems to me, with the proliferation of bulb types (especially CFL and LED), there needs to be an industry-wide education program. There is a sea of confusion knowing what bulbs are compatible with which ballasts, timers, photocells, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 16:46:48 -0800 (PST),

[...]

Too bad they don't just print it on the ends of the bulbs, or maybe
they do? Use with magnetic ballast only vs works with any ballast.

Fluorescent lamps Tim Watts UK diy 8 July 10th 10 10:32 AM
Compact fluorescent lamps failing Jeff Layman UK diy 177 December 3rd 07 08:22 AM
Compact fluorescent lamps. dcbwhaley UK diy 6 August 18th 06 08:14 PM
Technical difference(s) between GLS/reflectors and candle lamps? Mathew Newton UK diy 3 September 1st 05 12:57 PM
Buzzing Fluorescent Lamps [email protected] Home Repair 4 March 1st 05 04:36 PM