Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can PEX be used for an air line?

I have to keep an air compressor inside a heated part of the house,
because it wont start outdoors in cold weather. But I have to run a long
air hose thru the house, then leave my door part way open during cold
weather, in order to pump up a tire. I want to pipe the air thru the
house and bring it outside near where I park vehicles, and put an air
coupler out there.

I've seen a lot of service garages use steel pipe, but that would be
costly and a lot of work to install. PEX would be much cheaper and
easier to install. But can it handle the air pressure? My compressor
shuts off around 100lbs. I would not leave it under pressure, it would
only be turned on when I need to use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 11:40:50 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have to keep an air compressor inside a heated part of the house,
because it wont start outdoors in cold weather. But I have to run a long
air hose thru the house, then leave my door part way open during cold
weather, in order to pump up a tire. I want to pipe the air thru the
house and bring it outside near where I park vehicles, and put an air
coupler out there.

I've seen a lot of service garages use steel pipe, but that would be
costly and a lot of work to install. PEX would be much cheaper and
easier to install. But can it handle the air pressure? My compressor
shuts off around 100lbs. I would not leave it under pressure, it would
only be turned on when I need to use it.

How about just using air hose, permanently mounted? It's bigger than
PEX, but flexible and shouldn't be much harder to run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 10:40:50 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have to keep an air compressor inside a heated part of the house,
because it wont start outdoors in cold weather. But I have to run a long
air hose thru the house, then leave my door part way open during cold
weather, in order to pump up a tire. I want to pipe the air thru the
house and bring it outside near where I park vehicles, and put an air
coupler out there.

I've seen a lot of service garages use steel pipe, but that would be
costly and a lot of work to install. PEX would be much cheaper and
easier to install. But can it handle the air pressure? My compressor
shuts off around 100lbs. I would not leave it under pressure, it would
only be turned on when I need to use it.

I'd give it a shot...mine doesn't work in the cold garage either!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 10:32:53 -0800 (PST), bob_villain
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 10:40:50 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have to keep an air compressor inside a heated part of the house,
because it wont start outdoors in cold weather. But I have to run a long
air hose thru the house, then leave my door part way open during cold
weather, in order to pump up a tire. I want to pipe the air thru the
house and bring it outside near where I park vehicles, and put an air
coupler out there.

I've seen a lot of service garages use steel pipe, but that would be
costly and a lot of work to install. PEX would be much cheaper and
easier to install. But can it handle the air pressure? My compressor
shuts off around 100lbs. I would not leave it under pressure, it would
only be turned on when I need to use it.

I'd give it a shot...mine doesn't work in the cold garage either!

None of them work well in freezing weather. The oil gets real stiff, and
there is always some water in the air tank as well as the fittings and
stuff. If that moisture freezes, there is no way the compressor will
start. Either the breaker blows, or the compressor or the belt is
damaged. Even if nothing is damaged, running them in cold weather is
really hard on the compressor.

I think trader4 had a good suggestion, which I had not thought of, which
is to just run air hose thru the house. I can screw it to a coupler and
short piece of galv pipe where it goes thru the wall to the outside,
then put a regular air "snap coupler" on the outside. That would
probably be the easiest and cost about the same as PEX. Good suggestion!

I do know that outside snap coupler would need a cover over it when it's
not in use, because they will get water in them, and cant be used once
then freeze up. But I'm sure I can find some sort of plastic bottle to
shove over it when it's not in use.

Actually, the more I think about this, I would not even have to run a
permanent line thru the house. Just put a piece of galv pipe thru the
wall, with the proper (male / female) snap coupler ends on both the
inside and outside. That way, I can just coil up the air hose inside the
house and only unroll it when I need it, and snap it onto that pipe.
THe pipe can be held in the wall with an electrical ground rod clamp on
both the inside and outside and of course caulk around the outside part.
That way all I need is about 8" of pipe and the two snap couplers. I
already have enough air hose. In order to go outside now, I need to use
two 50 foot hoses. Instead I'll just use one hose indoors and one
outdoors.

Yep, that's the solution I'm gonna do....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 10:40:50 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have to keep an air compressor inside a heated part of the house,
because it wont start outdoors in cold weather. But I have to run a long
air hose thru the house, then leave my door part way open during cold
weather, in order to pump up a tire. I want to pipe the air thru the
house and bring it outside near where I park vehicles, and put an air
coupler out there.

I've seen a lot of service garages use steel pipe, but that would be
costly and a lot of work to install. PEX would be much cheaper and
easier to install. But can it handle the air pressure? My compressor
shuts off around 100lbs. I would not leave it under pressure, it would
only be turned on when I need to use it.

I'd give it a shot...mine doesn't work in the cold garage either!

Get the proper air rated plastic line. Ipex Duratec or Polconn or
Aetna Air Pro are the "big names" in the business.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 10:40:35 -0600, wrote:

I have to keep an air compressor inside a heated part of the house,
because it wont start outdoors in cold weather. But I have to run a long
air hose thru the house, then leave my door part way open during cold
weather, in order to pump up a tire. I want to pipe the air thru the
house and bring it outside near where I park vehicles, and put an air
coupler out there.

I've seen a lot of service garages use steel pipe, but that would be
costly and a lot of work to install. PEX would be much cheaper and
easier to install. But can it handle the air pressure? My compressor
shuts off around 100lbs. I would not leave it under pressure, it would
only be turned on when I need to use it.

Would braided sprayer hose from your local farm supply store
work? I have no idea about cost or its actual pressure rating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 18:24:09 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 10:40:35 -0600, wrote:

I have to keep an air compressor inside a heated part of the house,
because it wont start outdoors in cold weather. But I have to run a long
air hose thru the house, then leave my door part way open during cold
weather, in order to pump up a tire. I want to pipe the air thru the
house and bring it outside near where I park vehicles, and put an air
coupler out there.

I've seen a lot of service garages use steel pipe, but that would be
costly and a lot of work to install. PEX would be much cheaper and
easier to install. But can it handle the air pressure? My compressor
shuts off around 100lbs. I would not leave it under pressure, it would
only be turned on when I need to use it.

Would braided sprayer hose from your local farm supply store
work? I have no idea about cost or its actual pressure rating.

Real air hose is cheaper - - particularly when someone like Canadian
Tire or Princess Auto or TSC has it on sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 12:33:01 PM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 10:40:50 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have to keep an air compressor inside a heated part of the house,
because it wont start outdoors in cold weather. But I have to run a long
air hose thru the house, then leave my door part way open during cold
weather, in order to pump up a tire. I want to pipe the air thru the
house and bring it outside near where I park vehicles, and put an air
coupler out there.

I've seen a lot of service garages use steel pipe, but that would be
costly and a lot of work to install. PEX would be much cheaper and
easier to install. But can it handle the air pressure? My compressor
shuts off around 100lbs. I would not leave it under pressure, it would
only be turned on when I need to use it.

I'd give it a shot...mine doesn't work in the cold garage either!

I tried my compressor (20deg.) and it worked! I was about to use a magnetic heater...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 10:40:50 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have to keep an air compressor inside a heated part of the house,
because it wont start outdoors in cold weather. But I have to run a long
air hose thru the house, then leave my door part way open during cold
weather, in order to pump up a tire. I want to pipe the air thru the
house and bring it outside near where I park vehicles, and put an air
coupler out there.

I've seen a lot of service garages use steel pipe, but that would be
costly and a lot of work to install. PEX would be much cheaper and
easier to install. But can it handle the air pressure? My compressor
shuts off around 100lbs. I would not leave it under pressure, it would
only be turned on when I need to use it.

First thing to do is install an oil/water separator on the output of your air tank to help keep water out of your airline. You can put a crankcase heater on your compressor to keep the oil warm so the compressor will start and run at low temps then use heat tape on your airline and wrap some around the oil/water separator to prevent the collected water from freezing. The heaters are self regulating so they can be left on all the time even when the weather warms up. ^_^

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Regulato...074464&vxp=mtr

http://tinyurl.com/j3wdtmn

https://www.autocoolingsolutions.com...t-120-Volt-New

http://tinyurl.com/jcc6j45

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AHB-Electric... 7ZpxpowHqP7ag

http://tinyurl.com/z7bgcmn

You may want to look into getting some nylon air tubing because of the toughness of the stuff and temperature range it tolerates. ^_^

http://www.smcpneumatics.com/nylon.html

[8~{} Uncle Air Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 11:40:50 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have to keep an air compressor inside a heated part of the house,
because it wont start outdoors in cold weather. But I have to run a long
air hose thru the house, then leave my door part way open during cold
weather, in order to pump up a tire.

Or, just carry the air out.

Have you ever driven in Germany? Their service stations don't have air hoses.

Look here at the Airquick:
http://ewo-stuttgart.com/garage-equi...yre-inflators/

That bent shaft on top of the air tank (about the size of a gallon jug of windshield wash) drops on top of the compressor quick connect. The tank fills up. You carry it to your tire. No wrestling with hoses or moving the car closer halfway through. We used them when the Army sent us over there, they worked great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 7:58:21 AM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
[...]

My 5hp 20gal compressor came from Grainger back in 1990 and I always used their synthetic compressor oil. I never had a problem with the compressor starting at any temperature. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Compressed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

....but you do live in the tropics of Alama*******, don't you?