Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can PEX be used for an air line?

On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 10:40:35 -0600, wrote:

I have to keep an air compressor inside a heated part of the house,
because it wont start outdoors in cold weather. But I have to run a long
air hose thru the house, then leave my door part way open during cold
weather, in order to pump up a tire. I want to pipe the air thru the
house and bring it outside near where I park vehicles, and put an air
coupler out there.

I've seen a lot of service garages use steel pipe, but that would be
costly and a lot of work to install. PEX would be much cheaper and
easier to install. But can it handle the air pressure? My compressor
shuts off around 100lbs. I would not leave it under pressure, it would
only be turned on when I need to use it.

Pex is rated at 100PSI but I am not sure how much wiggle room you have
with that. You shouldn't have the shatter issues you have with PVC but
I would certainly be sure it was strapped down well so it will not
swing around and break stuff when it blows.