Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faucet quality local vs online

SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply house that, while they're
happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta faucets, they won't match online prices
because (supposedly) the Delta faucets sold by online retailers are a lower quality than those
that they sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me -- among other things, believing this means believing that Delta applies
the exact same model number to two different products. I've spent enough of my career
working in manufacturing environments to know how much of an inventory nightmare this would
create.

Anyone care to comment on this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-02-28 12:32 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply house that, while they're
happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta faucets, they won't match online prices
because (supposedly) the Delta faucets sold by online retailers are a lower quality than those
that they sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me -- among other things, believing this means believing that Delta applies
the exact same model number to two different products. I've spent enough of my career
working in manufacturing environments to know how much of an inventory nightmare this would
create.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Sounds wrong to me too. Just imagine having to replace a cartidge or
something else down the line.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 17:32:25 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply house that, while they're
happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta faucets, they won't match online prices
because (supposedly) the Delta faucets sold by online retailers are a lower quality than those
that they sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me -- among other things, believing this means believing that Delta applies
the exact same model number to two different products. I've spent enough of my career
working in manufacturing environments to know how much of an inventory nightmare this would
create.

Anyone care to comment on this?

I agree, if it is the same model number, it is the same. Just be
careful if they are putting a suffix or prefix on that number.
A lot of manufacturers will make a very similar, or exact same product
with a different model number to be sold in big box stores or online
that will not be attached to a MSRP. That is what allows the local
counter stores to claim their product is somehow better. (true or
not).
Delta has a lifetime guarantee anyway and it is not really an issue
where you get them. I have 2 in a bathroom that have been replaced
twice because my nasty well water screws up the finish. I email them a
picture and they FedEx me 2 new ones.
They just sent me a new cartridge for the shower valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-02-28 12:32 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply
house that, while they're
happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta faucets, they won't
match online prices
because (supposedly) the Delta faucets sold by online retailers are a
lower quality than those
that they sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me -- among other things, believing this means
believing that Delta applies
the exact same model number to two different products. I've spent
enough of my career
working in manufacturing environments to know how much of an inventory
nightmare this would
create.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Sounds wrong to me too. Just imagine having to replace a cartidge or
something else down the line.

Don't they have same warranty? Our house little over 20 years old all
equipped with Delta Ceramic cartridges so far never had any trouble
which came with life time warranty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply house that,
while they're
happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta faucets, they won't match
online prices
because (supposedly) the Delta faucets sold by online retailers are a lower
quality than those
that they sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me -- among other things, believing this means believing
that Delta applies
the exact same model number to two different products. I've spent enough of
my career
working in manufacturing environments to know how much of an inventory
nightmare this would
create.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Doug-

I think you know the answer. What must a dealer do to get you to pay
more for something? They are constantly faced with the problem of
people wasting the salesperson's time to find the right product, and
then ordering it on line. If you need to call on-line customer service,
expect to spend time on hold!

Fred

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2016 10:32 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply house
that, while they're happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta
faucets, they won't match online prices because (supposedly) the Delta
faucets sold by online retailers are a lower quality than those that they
sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me -- among other things, believing this means believing
that Delta applies the exact same model number to two different products.
I've spent enough of my career working in manufacturing environments to know
how much of an inventory nightmare this would create.

Exactly.

However, *do* be sure the model numbers are EXACTLY the same!
Not just "representative of the product". ("The actual item
may differ from the item pictured...")

It is common practice with home electronics, bedding, etc. to
supply very similar products (perhaps even IDENTICAL) to
different retailers with the express purpose of preventing
comparison shopping.

(Try buying a mattress set!)

Anyone care to comment on this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 12:35:29 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply house that, while they're
happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta faucets, they won't match online prices
because (supposedly) the Delta faucets sold by online retailers are a lower quality than those
that they sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me -- among other things, believing this means believing that Delta applies
the exact same model number to two different products. I've spent enough of my career
working in manufacturing environments to know how much of an inventory nightmare this would
create.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Sounds like BS to me, mainly based on the inventory issue that you mentioned.

However, I have seen different store sells slightly different models from
the same manufacturer so that price matching couldn't occur. Lowes and
Home Depot used to (may still) do this with the InSinkErator line of
garbage disposals. The models might vary by an 1/8 HP or have a different
dB spec which meant they had a different model number. This slight variance
could be found across the entire line, from the lowest priced unit to the
top of their line.

I guess that both stores sold enough units that InSinkErator was willing to
produce 2 different, but very similar, product lines. It also prevented price
wars which could have caused the stores to ask for discounts from InSinkErator.
Everybody wins, except for the consumer.

But as you said, same model number, different product? I think not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Those "lifetime warranty" companies may ask you to see your original receipt before they will honor their warranty. Make sure you have a good filing system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Doug Miller:
SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply house that, while they're
happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta faucets, they won't match online prices
because (supposedly) the Delta faucets sold by online retailers are a lower quality than those
that they sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me

This is probably not relevant, but it comes to mind:

Looooong time ago I bought two bathroom faucets from K-Mart - the kind
with the push-pull cartridges because that is what they were using at
the gym I was going to and I figured if they worked there....

Took one to the local plumbing supply outlet and asked the guy behind
the counter what the diff was between this thing I bought at K-Mart and
their brand (Delta) that cost an arm-and-a-leg more.

He looked at me, turned red, and shouted out "Delta is QUALITY, and this
is ****!".... Other people in the facility stopped what they were doing
and turned to look at us....

Well, now it's 35 years later and I have rebuilt the Delta faucet in our
kitchen 4 or 5 times and replaced the spigot.

Last year, one of the "****" bathroom faucets was getting a little
stiff, so I replaced the cartridge.... but did not really have to...

The finish on the Delta held up better though... the plating on one of
the bathroom faucets is starting to bubble here-and-there.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 11:13:17 -0800 (PST), Molly Brown
wrote:

Those "lifetime warranty" companies may ask you to see your original receipt before they will honor their warranty. Make sure you have a good filing system.

Not true with Delta or Moen. Both have sent me parts or an entire
replacement with nothing but an Emailed picture of the product and a
description of the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2016 12:32 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply house that, while they're
happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta faucets, they won't match online prices
because (supposedly) the Delta faucets sold by online retailers are a lower quality than those
that they sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me -- among other things, believing this means believing that Delta applies
the exact same model number to two different products. I've spent enough of my career
working in manufacturing environments to know how much of an inventory nightmare this would
create.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Yes, it is BS. I've been told the same about power tools appliances,
etc. . Ask exactly what is different. If you were an expert in your
business and know your product, you'd know exactly what the difference
is. No one has ever been able to give me specifics.

Over the years my job has taken me into many factories. I've seen the
identical product go down the assembly line and labeled and packed into
a different box and sold at different prices. Some are marked
"reconditioned" so they can be sold at factory outlets at lower prices
and not **** off regular sellers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2016 12:18 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Doug Miller:
[...]

Probably not a fair comparisonm based on the frequency and types
of usage. You use bathroom faucet probably *once* (turn it on,
wash hands, turn it off) each time the bathroom gets used.

Kitchen faucet (at least here) see's almost continuous use
throughout the day. E.g., I'll use it 6 or 8 times while preparing
today's lunch. Then, probably just as many times afterwards
(cleanup, etc.).

After that, fill the tea kettle. After that, wash out my
"tea mug". etc.

The finish on the Delta held up better though... the plating on one of
the bathroom faucets is starting to bubble here-and-there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply house that, while they're
happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta faucets, they won't match online prices
because (supposedly) the Delta faucets sold by online retailers are a lower quality than those
that they sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me -- among other things, believing this means believing that Delta applies
the exact same model number to two different products. I've spent enough of my career
working in manufacturing environments to know how much of an inventory nightmare this would
create.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Spme online sellers may be selling counterfeit delta product from
off-shore. Otherwise it's BS.

Same with buying from a big box store. IF the part number is
identical, it is the same product. However, often the part number is
NOT identical. Same thing when buying computers A laptop may be the
same MODEL at a big-box store as at a computer shop, and not be the
same computer because it is a differnt part muber. The difference
between different part numbers may indicate different hard drive size
or speed, different ram, different video,and one may have a card
reader while another doesn't, one may have HDMI out, the cameras may
be different - or one may not have a camera, the sound system may be
different, and even the screan may be different That's hpw a big box
store may be able to advertize a certain brand and "model" of computer
for way less thanyou can buy it from a real computer dtore or a VAR.
(Often for less than the realer or VAR can buy the model they sell)
HP may produce a particular configuration/model number specifically
for Staples and Best Buy, while another configuration is only
available through distribution to dealers and VARS. Same with DEL,
ACER and Lenovo.

Same thing with TVs, to a lesser extent. One part number may be sold
only through Costco and other big box stores, while another part
number of the same model line is only sold through "authorized dealer
chain" including stereo shops etc. Sometimes the only difference is
the length of the warranty, which may also mean they went through less
strenuous quality control - they MIGHT be every bit as good, but then
again they might not. The manufacturer is only betting on one year
instead of 3 - and when you call support for a problem, they know by
the model number if it is a 1 year or 3 year warranty (anf by the
serial number when it was produced) even if the warranty was never
registered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 12:49:46 -0500, FrozenNorth

On 2016-02-28 12:32 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO and I were told by a salesperson at a local plumbing supply house that, while they're
happy to price-match other local dealers on Delta faucets, they won't match online prices
because (supposedly) the Delta faucets sold by online retailers are a lower quality than those
that they sell, even though the model numbers are the same.

Sounds like BS to me -- among other things, believing this means believing that Delta applies
the exact same model number to two different products. I've spent enough of my career
working in manufacturing environments to know how much of an inventory nightmare this would
create.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Sounds wrong to me too. Just imagine having to replace a cartidge or
something else down the line.

Generally those parts are the same - but you might have a higher
quality finish on one part number than on another - but there WOULD be
a difference in the "part number" even if it was the same "model".

Would make for a lot of confusion though if one had lifetime warranty
and the other didn't for the cartridges - using the same parts. Non
serialized stuff like faucets are different than serialized things
like appliances, TVs and Computers - whre as I noted in an earlier
post - there ARE often differences.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In the last four years, I have bought two Moen faucets online at Amazon. Both were open-box specials. For both I think I received exactly what was described. The first faucet I bought was a two-handle high arc commercial faucet, for my kitchen sink, that I loved within minutes of installing it. I had it for a year while my house was on the market. I was sorry to leave it.

I bought a condo subsequently. A couple of months ago I bought another non-commercial Moen kitchen faucet. I compared this second one with the same model # at Lowe's/Home Depot. I see no differences. The box looks the same, too. It works great.

Most of the faucets at Amazon have a buzillion reviews. This helps my confidence in the product.

looking for HIGH QUALITY frost proof faucet Ohioguy Home Repair 0 May 23rd 11 08:34 PM
quality sensor faucet online [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 3rd 08 12:55 PM
quality sensor faucet [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 3rd 08 12:53 PM
faucet/sink quality DLK Home Repair 27 March 6th 07 10:09 PM
faucet/sink quality DLK Home Repair 0 March 6th 07 02:05 PM