Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pocket doors

Whoever invented pocket doors must have been laughing to himself when
he considered the poor slob who has to repair them.

My 1967 house has three pocket doors and I have had to fix all three in
the eight years I've lived here. It's always the rear roller that
either falls off the track or the adjustment gets out of whack and the
inside part of the door drags on the floor. The one I have looks like
this:
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/images/products/25477.jpg

I spent the weekend tearing off the moulding around one of the doors
just to get to the rear roller. This time I modified the top frame so
I wouldn't have to take the entire moulding around the door off just to
get the top one off. It's finally all back together and the door rides
correctly. I'm hoping this is the last time for a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2016 5:43 PM, badgolferman wrote:
Whoever invented pocket doors must have been laughing to himself when
he considered the poor slob who has to repair them.

My 1967 house has three pocket doors and I have had to fix all three in
the eight years I've lived here. It's always the rear roller that
either falls off the track or the adjustment gets out of whack and the
inside part of the door drags on the floor. The one I have looks like
this:
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/images/products/25477.jpg

I spent the weekend tearing off the moulding around one of the doors
just to get to the rear roller. This time I modified the top frame so
I wouldn't have to take the entire moulding around the door off just to
get the top one off. It's finally all back together and the door rides
correctly. I'm hoping this is the last time for a while.

We have one pocket door in this house and I shudder to think we might
have to fix it some day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 23:43:52 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

Whoever invented pocket doors must have been laughing to himself when
he considered the poor slob who has to repair them.

My 1967 house has three pocket doors and I have had to fix all three in
the eight years I've lived here. It's always the rear roller that
either falls off the track or the adjustment gets out of whack and the
inside part of the door drags on the floor. The one I have looks like
this:
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/images/products/25477.jpg

I spent the weekend tearing off the moulding around one of the doors
just to get to the rear roller. This time I modified the top frame so
I wouldn't have to take the entire moulding around the door off just to
get the top one off. It's finally all back together and the door rides
correctly. I'm hoping this is the last time for a while.

Old mobile homes had the same problems. Newer pocket doors in homes
are much better when installed correctly. The nylon rollers do wear
out, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Whoever invented pocket doors must have been laughing to himself when
he considered the poor slob who has to repair them.

Thomas Jefferson has them at Monticello, and they work.

I think they've been repaired, however.

My 1967 house has three pocket doors and I have had to fix all three in
the eight years I've lived here. It's always the rear roller that
either falls off the track or the adjustment gets out of whack and the
inside part of the door drags on the floor. The one I have looks like
this:
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/images/products/25477.jpg

I spent the weekend tearing off the moulding around one of the doors
just to get to the rear roller. This time I modified the top frame so
I wouldn't have to take the entire moulding around the door off just to
get the top one off. It's finally all back together and the door rides
correctly. I'm hoping this is the last time for a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Whoever invented pocket doors must have been laughing to himself when
he considered the poor slob who has to repair them.

Thomas Jefferson has them at Monticello, and they work.

I think they've been repaired, however.

My 1967 house has three pocket doors and I have had to fix all three in
the eight years I've lived here. It's always the rear roller that
either falls off the track or the adjustment gets out of whack and the
inside part of the door drags on the floor. The one I have looks like
this:
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/images/products/25477.jpg

My house was built in 1898 and the pocket door still works.

When I purchased the place in 1979 the door was out about 2 feet and
jammed...but all I had to do was forcefully wiggle it a bit and it
freed-up and has worked ever since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:35:54 -0500, Micky
wrote:

Thomas Jefferson has them at Monticello, and they work.

I think they've been repaired, however.

He must surely be tired of all that work by now?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Whoever invented pocket doors must have been laughing to himself when
he considered the poor slob who has to repair them.

Thomas Jefferson has them at Monticello, and they work.

I think they've been repaired, however.

I'm gradually recalling the tour there. There was something like a
bicycle chain connecting them under the floor, or maybe above them.

I thought he invented the idea, but I couldnt' find anything that said
that. Maybe it was just the most famous early American example.

My 1967 house has three pocket doors and I have had to fix all three in
the eight years I've lived here. It's always the rear roller that
either falls off the track or the adjustment gets out of whack and the
inside part of the door drags on the floor. The one I have looks like
this:
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/images/products/25477.jpg

My house was built in 1898 and the pocket door still works.

When I purchased the place in 1979 the door was out about 2 feet and
jammed...but all I had to do was forcefully wiggle it a bit and it
freed-up and has worked ever since.

That's great. You probably saved money on the house because the door
was messed up. At least $20.

Wow, look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_door The
1953-'54 Kaiser Motors Darrin sports car used pocket doors. You have
to look at the picture to appreciate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/21/2016 08:55 PM, Micky wrote:

My house was built in 1898 and the pocket door still works.

When I purchased the place in 1979 the door was out about 2 feet and
jammed...but all I had to do was forcefully wiggle it a bit and it
freed-up and has worked ever since.

That's great. You probably saved money on the house because the door
was messed up. At least $20.

Multiply that by 1000

My house was in such bad shape it was $20K below anything else in the area.

Back then good houses were going for $50K

It needed a lot of work, that was 1979 and it's pretty nice today, but
it's a never ending process.

Wow, look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_door The
1953-'54 Kaiser Motors Darrin sports car used pocket doors. You have
to look at the picture to appreciate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2016 4:43 PM, badgolferman wrote:
Whoever invented pocket doors must have been laughing to himself when
he considered the poor slob who has to repair them.

My 1967 house has three pocket doors and I have had to fix all three in
the eight years I've lived here. It's always the rear roller that
either falls off the track or the adjustment gets out of whack and the
inside part of the door drags on the floor. The one I have looks like
this:
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/images/products/25477.jpg

I spent the weekend tearing off the moulding around one of the doors
just to get to the rear roller. This time I modified the top frame so
I wouldn't have to take the entire moulding around the door off just to
get the top one off. It's finally all back together and the door rides
correctly. I'm hoping this is the last time for a while.

The design probably ignores maintenance.

One could design a mechanism that requires you to fasten a
solid, metal "lip" at the farthest inner point for the
upper track. The corresponding end of the track would be
formed to "hang" from that lip. The lip has no moving/wear
parts and just provides support.

Another part on the near end provides a robust surface to
accept a "mounting screw" (i.e., its little more than a
plate with a threaded hole that is, itself, fastened to the
wooden frame of the house).

Slide track into the pocket so the far end "hook" is past the
lip on which it hangs. Move up and pull back out to engage the
hook on the far end lip. Lift near end of track to align
mounting hole with the near end mounting screw (nut).

But, this requires the track be strong enough to support the
door itself -- you'd have no intermediate supports affixing
the track to a frame member. And, the two point supports
would have to similarly be robust (and not subject to removal
each time you serviced the door!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Whoever invented pocket doors must have been laughing to himself when
he considered the poor slob who has to repair them.

My 1967 house has three pocket doors and I have had to fix all three in
the eight years I've lived here. It's always the rear roller that
either falls off the track or the adjustment gets out of whack and the
inside part of the door drags on the floor. The one I have looks like
this:
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/images/products/25477.jpg

I spent the weekend tearing off the moulding around one of the doors
just to get to the rear roller. This time I modified the top frame so
I wouldn't have to take the entire moulding around the door off just to
get the top one off. It's finally all back together and the door rides
correctly. I'm hoping this is the last time for a while.

They make much better pocket door hardware. some Builders just choke
on the price.
These are pretty good
http://www.johnsonhardware.com/100pd.htm
These are real good
http://www.johnsonhardware.com/200pd.htm

Hafele makes some excellent $tuff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 20:59:57 -0600, philo wrote:

On 02/21/2016 08:55 PM, Micky wrote:

My house was built in 1898 and the pocket door still works.

When I purchased the place in 1979 the door was out about 2 feet and
jammed...but all I had to do was forcefully wiggle it a bit and it
freed-up and has worked ever since.

That's great. You probably saved money on the house because the door
was messed up. At least $20.

Multiply that by 1000

My house was in such bad shape it was $20K below anything else in the area.

Back then good houses were going for $50K

It needed a lot of work, that was 1979 and it's pretty nice today, but
it's a never ending process.

Now you need to get a computer that was built in 1898. That surly will
be a never ending process, to keep it running. Of course if it was made
in 1898, it will have Windows 98 installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2016 6:43 PM, badgolferman wrote:
Whoever invented pocket doors must have been laughing to himself when
he considered the poor slob who has to repair them.

My 1967 house has three pocket doors and I have had to fix all three in
the eight years I've lived here. It's always the rear roller that
either falls off the track or the adjustment gets out of whack and the
inside part of the door drags on the floor. The one I have looks like
this:
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/images/products/25477.jpg

I spent the weekend tearing off the moulding around one of the doors
just to get to the rear roller. This time I modified the top frame so
I wouldn't have to take the entire moulding around the door off just to
get the top one off. It's finally all back together and the door rides
correctly. I'm hoping this is the last time for a while.

I installed a 24" pocket door in the early 80s for a too small powder
room; made a world of difference on space. Previously you had to go into
the room and move your body over the toilet in order to swing the door
closed. But I ignored some key installation instructions. When my young
kids were running from each other, they would always screw it up by
sliding it way too fast and derailing it. Once they even bent some of
the mountings, but I was able to twist the door and make it better. Some
years later, I remodeled the whole room, which made the too small room
feel even larger. I decided to up the size of the door to 28"; didn't
realize that 28" was non-standard. I actually cut down a 30" and
re-glued the end. I didn't know at the time you could special order the
28". But, the big thing was that I made some of the parts removable with
screws for easier servicing. Of course, Murphy was there and I never had
to take it apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 8:53:41 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Maybe you should have twisted the kids to make them better. ;-)

(Joke! I had four of them wrecking stuff in my house over the years.)

Some
years later, I remodeled the whole room, which made the too small room
feel even larger. I decided to up the size of the door to 28"; didn't
realize that 28" was non-standard. I actually cut down a 30" and
re-glued the end. I didn't know at the time you could special order the
28". But, the big thing was that I made some of the parts removable with
screws for easier servicing. Of course, Murphy was there and I never had
to take it apart.

Uh oh...now you've done it. You know that Murphy reads this ng, don't you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/2016 08:32 AM, Micky wrote:
On Mo
Now you need to get a computer that was built in 1898. That surly will
be a never ending process, to keep it running. Of course if it was made
in 1898, it will have Windows 98 installed.

The problem with using one of those is that many are steam-powered and
that means cutting wood and constantly having to add wood to the fire.

No steam powered computers here, most are BS powered so I have no energy
bills to pay