Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crack repair in drywall

Hi, a significant crack has developed in the drywall between the living room and kitchen. I think the weight of the pot rack has, over time, contributed to the crack, but I'm not taking it down..
I've repaired smaller cracks with spackle, sanding and a coat of paint, but since this is larger, and the pot rack will still be hanging there, I want to make a more robust fix, if possible.
IS there a better way to fix the crack ? Thanks

Here's a pictu

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxl0gm/9
Posted to alt.home.repair

A lot depends on what is above the layer of spackle. Is it dry wall, plaster and lath, ect. It appears to be an older house, is this the case? If so it may be lath and plaster. To correct the issue I would start by making sure the pot hanger is properly anchored into a beam, and not just the lath. After that the best way would be to remove about 4 inches from around the crack(2-3 in. on each side) then insure the lath above it is in good shape and re plaster.

Hope this helps!

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, no earthquakes in my area. But I can check the foundation to be sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

No, no earthquakes in my area. But I can check the foundation to be sure.

Better grab a shovel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not so sure that's related to the potholder at all.

Is there any chance that's water damage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2016 12:43 PM, TimR wrote:
I'm not so sure that's related to the potholder at all.

Is there any chance that's water damage?

If the eye hook uses a toggle bolt which will pull on the drywall, that
could be a problem.

OTOH: If it's screwed into a wooden stud then it's probably not the cause.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Little chance its water damage, however, it is possible that there was some structural work done in this area before I owned the house. We think there had once been a wall between the living room and the kitchen that wall was removed, and if so it would have stood right about there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR posted for all of us...

I'm not so sure that's related to the potholder at all.

Is there any chance that's water damage?

+1 That was my thought. Looks like the taped joint let loose. I don't see
any stains but... Investigate further. It's a kitchen and the hanger just
might have pulled the tape loose, along with the moisture from that big bowl
of spaghetti you are making for us.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On 02/19/2016 12:21 PM, wrote:

IS there a better way to fix the crack ? Thanks Here's a pictu

Fill the crack with painter's cauk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2016 02:21 PM, Red wrote:

On 02/19/2016 12:21 PM, wrote:

IS there a better way to fix the crack ? Thanks Here's a pictu

Fill the crack with painter's cauk. And for the love of God, cover up that baby-**** yellow paint with something that matches the drapes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 09:21:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi, a significant crack has developed in the drywall between the living room and kitchen. I think the weight of the pot rack has, over time, contributed to the crack, but I'm not taking it down..
I've repaired smaller cracks with spackle, sanding and a coat of paint, but since this is larger, and the pot rack will still be hanging there, I want to make a more robust fix, if possible.
IS there a better way to fix the crack ? Thanks

Here's a pictu

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxl0gm/9

Am I seeing the crack on the ceiling and also a vertical one on the
wall, too? Maybe the tape has failed at the joints and needs to be
redone. (remove old tape, cleanup and redo the seams)

Some tips: http://www.drywallschool.com/crack.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi, a significant crack has developed in the drywall between the
living room and kitchen. I think the weight of the pot rack has, over
time, contributed to the crack, but I'm not taking it down.. I've
repaired smaller cracks with spackle, sanding and a coat of paint,
but since this is larger, and the pot rack will still be hanging
there, I want to make a more robust fix, if possible.
IS there a better way to fix the crack ? Thanks

Here's a pictu

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxl0gm/9

You need to...

1. Remove old corner bead (probably not well fastened)

2.Put on new corner bead, fastening well

3. Tape, mud, prime paint

You also need to remove the short segment of tape (the area without corner
bead), retape, mud, prime & paint it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is that a skylight shaft above? It looks like
there was faulty construction building that.
Hard to know not seeing the site. But it's
possible you can make a permanent fix. Scrape
off what's sticking up and loose. Then use
fiberglass mesh tape to span the crack. Then
use Durabond 90 as a first coat. It's like flexible
plaster of paris. Very hard. Then finish with
joint compound and sand it or sponge it.

It doesn't work as well to use normal joint
compound for all layers because it has no
strength. It's not much more than a chalk
deposit. Spackle is similar. The newer lightweight
spackle is pretty good, but it's still not made
for strength. It will usually re-crack over time.
The joint tape acts like rebars in concrete and
won't re-crack in most situations.

Drywall Crack Kate[_5_] Home Repair 5 November 28th 09 11:48 PM
cove crack in drywall [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 10th 07 12:39 AM
reappearing drywall crack Travis Hayes Home Ownership 5 July 28th 06 08:23 AM
To Art: Concerning Previous Post On Drywall Crack Repair Robert11 Home Repair 1 December 20th 05 02:54 PM
Crack Repair In Drywall Questions Robert11 Home Repair 2 December 19th 05 08:10 PM