Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall Crack

I have a crack in my drywall that is about 12 x 12 inches.

I have patched it before, and it is back.

Is there anyway to repair this, or do I need to learn to live with it?

Thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 27 Nov 2009 08:19:04p, Kate told us...

I have a crack in my drywall that is about 12 x 12 inches.

I have patched it before, and it is back.

Is there anyway to repair this, or do I need to learn to live with it?

Thanks.

Kate

12 x 12 inches sounds like a one square foot hole, not a crack. Could you be
more specific? What did you repair it with before?

It is appx. 12 inches long, and 12 inches wide. The hairline crack is
shaped like an L.

Before, I used a putty type substance that was rubbery. I thought it
would take the movement in the wall. I can't remember the name of the
product.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:59:28 -0600, dpb wrote:

Michael Dobony wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:07:06 -0600, dpb wrote:

Michael Dobony wrote:

We need a picture to get a better understanding of the issue. Is it near a
window or doorway? L shaped is very odd.
Why say that? More than likely telegraphing location of the corner of
the sheet as whatever it is the bulk of the sheet is fastened to settled.

A photo will show this if it is perfectly straight and square. I have seen
straight and angled cracks, but rarely l shaped. When I do see it it is
usually improperly installed drywall around an opening, be it window, door,
or doorway. The photos requested will determine the necessary repair.

The OP was quite clear in saying it _isn't_ straight or angled but an
"L".

Ok, are the LEGS of the L straight of wavy?

Unlike you, I've seen quite a number where that is the case and
it's clearly the piece moving relative to its neighbors diagonally as
opposed to unidirectionally or a corner that sagged but where the single
piece is tied to (say) header and studs around an opening and hence
cracks the paper (hence the diagonal).

I have seen some angled and wavy cracks, nearly L shaped. When I have seen
what you describe it is usually a poorly hung opening pieced together.

The photos would show the shape of the "L", granted. I submit they
wouldn't necessarily show anything about the "necessary" repair as still
the previous observation holds...

The more key question is why it's still moving and reopening the same
crack...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 10:59*am, dpb wrote:
The OP was quite clear in saying it _isn't_ straight or angled but an
"L".

And the followup question was clearly whether it was an L made of two
straight lines (bad install) or a meandering, roughly L shaped crack
(probably later damage).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 19:19:04 -0800, Kate wrote:

I have a crack in my drywall that is about 12 x 12 inches.

I have patched it before, and it is back.

Is there anyway to repair this, or do I need to learn to live with it?

Thanks.

Kate

Depends on the cause that's because
The crack is back.
Do you really have a 12 by 12" crack?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 28 Nov 2009 12:46:28a, Kate told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 27 Nov 2009 08:19:04p, Kate told us...

I have a crack in my drywall that is about 12 x 12 inches.

I have patched it before, and it is back.

Is there anyway to repair this, or do I need to learn to live with it?

Thanks.

Kate

12 x 12 inches sounds like a one square foot hole, not a crack. Could
you be more specific? What did you repair it with before?

It is appx. 12 inches long, and 12 inches wide. The hairline crack is
shaped like an L.

Before, I used a putty type substance that was rubbery. I thought it
would take the movement in the wall. I can't remember the name of the
product.

Thanks.

Ok, you could make a drywall mesh repair. The mesh tape self-adheres to
the drywall which you cut to cover the crack to be patched. Using several
light coats of drywall compound, sanding lightly in between and feathering
the edges to blend with the drywall surface. Using the mesh will normally
prevent any crack from reappearing.

Thank you so much. I just called Ace and they have it.

Much appreciated.