Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Humidifier belt low output?

My Kenmore floor model humidifer, belt driven, holds about
5 gal of water, controls on top. Model: 758-743203.

With the old media pad, I used about two gal of water
each day. Now, the water level is holding, and does
not appear to be going down. I put in a squirt of dish
soap so that the water would better wick into the
media.

Is it possible the old media (full of sediment) had
more surface area? Or is is possible the new media
is made of different fiber and does not work as well?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 8:45:42 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My Kenmore floor model humidifer, belt driven, holds about
5 gal of water, controls on top. Model: 758-743203.

With the old media pad, I used about two gal of water
each day. Now, the water level is holding, and does
not appear to be going down. I put in a squirt of dish
soap so that the water would better wick into the
media.

Is it possible the old media (full of sediment) had
more surface area? Or is is possible the new media
is made of different fiber and does not work as well?

Is it going full-bore, or controlled by a humidistat? Maybe it's not as dry in the space?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 9:45:42 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My Kenmore floor model humidifer, belt driven, holds about
5 gal of water, controls on top. Model: 758-743203.

With the old media pad, I used about two gal of water
each day. Now, the water level is holding, and does
not appear to be going down. I put in a squirt of dish
soap so that the water would better wick into the
media.

Is it possible the old media (full of sediment) had
more surface area?

Seems very possible.

Or is is possible the new media
is made of different fiber and does not work as well?

Seems possible too.

But I don't see how either can explain it going from 2 gallons
a day to not working or barely working at all. The media is
made to function. As described, it would be worthless. Not sure
about the effect of adding a detergent and what it will do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2016 09:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My Kenmore floor model humidifer, belt driven, holds about
5 gal of water, controls on top. Model: 758-743203.

With the old media pad, I used about two gal of water
each day. Now, the water level is holding, and does
not appear to be going down. I put in a squirt of dish
soap so that the water would better wick into the
media.

Is it possible the old media (full of sediment) had
more surface area? Or is is possible the new media
is made of different fiber and does not work as well?

Did you plug it back in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 9:45:42 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My Kenmore floor model humidifer, belt driven, holds about
5 gal of water, controls on top. Model: 758-743203.

With the old media pad, I used about two gal of water
each day. Now, the water level is holding, and does
not appear to be going down. I put in a squirt of dish
soap so that the water would better wick into the
media.

Is it possible the old media (full of sediment) had
more surface area?

Did the old one have more surface area? Perhaps.

Does more surface area mean more wicking capability? I think not.

I know that this isn't your exact model, but Page 9 of the instructions
found at the link below state:

"As the filter loads with impurities it gradually loses its wicking
capability."

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/809...?page=9#manual

Or is is possible the new media
is made of different fiber and does not work as well?

Yes, it's possible, but since we can't see the old vs. the new
from where we're sitting, all we can say is "Yes, it's possible."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 9:45:42 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My Kenmore floor model humidifer, belt driven, holds about
5 gal of water, controls on top. Model: 758-743203.

With the old media pad, I used about two gal of water
each day. Now, the water level is holding, and does
not appear to be going down. I put in a squirt of dish
soap so that the water would better wick into the
media.

Is it possible the old media (full of sediment) had
more surface area? Or is is possible the new media
is made of different fiber and does not work as well?

I think the more important question is this:

What is the humidity level in the area? Maybe the water usage is
down because there is less humidity being called for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 2:39:11 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think the more important question is this:

What is the humidity level in the area? Maybe the water usage is
down because there is less humidity being called for.

Already stated (if you don't have a troll like me blocked). (•¯_•°)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 2:06 PM, Fred wrote:
more surface area? Or is is possible the new media
is made of different fiber and does not work as well?

Did you plug it back in?

Yes; and confirmed the fan blows, and the media
rotates properly.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 11:06 AM, trader_4 wrote:
But I don't see how either can explain it going from 2 gallons
a day to not working or barely working at all. The media is
made to function. As described, it would be worthless. Not sure
about the effect of adding a detergent and what it will do.

Another day pass, and the water level hardly
moved. I'm not sure what all to do about it.
Certainly, it is heating weather with cold
nights. Seems like the machine should be
using water. As with so much in life, can't
go back. I poured some vinegar on the old
media, and appears to have made no change.
So, the old media belt isn't going to be
useful for any thing any more.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 3:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"As the filter loads with impurities it gradually loses its wicking
capability."

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/809...?page=9#manual

Or is is possible the new media
is made of different fiber and does not work as well?

Yes, it's possible, but since we can't see the old vs. the new
from where we're sitting, all we can say is "Yes, it's possible."

Ah, loses wicking capability. Well,
that's encouraging. Might be just a
different climate for the last few
days, thoug I some what doubt that.

Not much I cn do about it, now.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 3:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think the more important question is this:

What is the humidity level in the area? Maybe the water usage is
down because there is less humidity being called for.

I'm not all sure about that. We are still
in heating season, so it ought to use some
water, during the days and nights.

Meantime, can't do much about it. Can't go
back to the old media belt.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2016 08:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/19/2016 2:06 PM, Fred wrote:
more surface area? Or is is possible the new media
is made of different fiber and does not work as well?

Did you plug it back in?

Yes; and confirmed the fan blows, and the media
rotates properly.

Excess atmospheric humidity was causing climate change.
Starting Jan 2014, manufacturers had to reduce the evaporation rate from humidifiers.

Maybe you got some of the new EPA mandated water-saver media?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/20/2016 8:44 AM, Hue Miduhtee wrote:
Excess atmospheric humidity was causing climate change.
Starting Jan 2014, manufacturers had to reduce the evaporation rate from
humidifiers.

Maybe you got some of the new EPA mandated water-saver media?

You know, I'd probably been using a 2.0 galon
per day media, and now all they sell are 1.6
galon per day media. I'm sure you are right,
this closes the thread.

--
..
Christopher A. Young