Posted to alt.home.repair

Default chain drive garage door opener

Neighbor complaining of a rattling noise. Didn't take more
than a moment to determine chain is slack on his GDO.
Simple fix -- end of story.

But, got me wondering as to the potential downside of a
"slack" chain -- beyond the noise and *eventual* wear
on it and the drive bar from that rubbing.

OTOH, a *taut* chain is a recipe for premature wear in
the mechanism...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 10:04:46 AM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

OTOH, a *taut* chain is a recipe for premature wear in
the mechanism...

There's a spring in the door-capture mechanism that cushions excess tension.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2016 8:04 AM, Don Y wrote:
Neighbor complaining of a rattling noise. Didn't take more
than a moment to determine chain is slack on his GDO.
Simple fix -- end of story.

But, got me wondering as to the potential downside of a
"slack" chain -- beyond the noise and *eventual* wear
on it and the drive bar from that rubbing.

OTOH, a *taut* chain is a recipe for premature wear in
the mechanism...

If it's like my door opener, which has a slack chain about every three
months, there is an adjustment screw on the back of the motor/gear box.
Climb up there and tighten the chain.

I have not yet found a way to keep the adjustment from moving and
slacking the chain.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2016 10:47 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 2/4/2016 8:04 AM, Don Y wrote:
Neighbor complaining of a rattling noise. Didn't take more
than a moment to determine chain is slack on his GDO.
Simple fix -- end of story.

But, got me wondering as to the potential downside of a
"slack" chain -- beyond the noise and *eventual* wear
on it and the drive bar from that rubbing.

OTOH, a *taut* chain is a recipe for premature wear in
the mechanism...

If it's like my door opener, which has a slack chain about every three months,
there is an adjustment screw on the back of the motor/gear box. Climb up there
and tighten the chain.

I have not yet found a way to keep the adjustment from moving and slacking the
chain.

This adjustment is in series with the chain -- i.e., the attachment of the
chain is via a variable length (threaded rod) member; shorten it and the
chain is effectively tightened. *It* doesn't "move" (with wear).

I'm just curious as to the downside of a slack chain (assuming it is not
excessive)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2016 8:04 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

The downside is it wears the paint on the front of the door!

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2016 8:04 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

It would have to be *really* loose to sag that much!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2016 8:04 AM, Don Y wrote:
Neighbor complaining of a rattling noise. Didn't take more
than a moment to determine chain is slack on his GDO.
Simple fix -- end of story.

But, got me wondering as to the potential downside of a
"slack" chain -- beyond the noise and *eventual* wear
on it and the drive bar from that rubbing.

OTOH, a *taut* chain is a recipe for premature wear in
the mechanism...
If it's like my door opener, which has a slack chain about every three
months,
there is an adjustment screw on the back of the motor/gear box. Climb
up there
and tighten the chain.

I have not yet found a way to keep the adjustment from moving and
slacking the
chain.

On some you can move chain sprocket.

This adjustment is in series with the chain -- i.e., the attachment of
the
chain is via a variable length (threaded rod) member; shorten it and the
chain is effectively tightened. *It* doesn't "move" (with wear).

I'm just curious as to the downside of a slack chain (assuming it is not
excessive)

The downside is it wears the paint on the front of the door!

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 09:04:19 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Neighbor complaining of a rattling noise. Didn't take more
than a moment to determine chain is slack on his GDO.
Simple fix -- end of story.

But, got me wondering as to the potential downside of a
"slack" chain -- beyond the noise and *eventual* wear
on it and the drive bar from that rubbing.

OTOH, a *taut* chain is a recipe for premature wear in
the mechanism...

Which I why I've always bought Genie screw drives. My oldest one
lasted about 35 years of near daily use. Only repair was to replace
the engagement teeth ($10) once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Neighbor complaining of a rattling noise. Didn't take more
than a moment to determine chain is slack on his GDO.
Simple fix -- end of story.

But, got me wondering as to the potential downside of a
"slack" chain -- beyond the noise and *eventual* wear
on it and the drive bar from that rubbing.

OTOH, a *taut* chain is a recipe for premature wear in
the mechanism...

Which I why I've always bought Genie screw drives. My oldest one
lasted about 35 years of near daily use. Only repair was to replace
the engagement teeth ($10) once.

Screw drive openers hae minimum size requirements placed on the
garage! I bought one for my BinL as a gift. It sat in an unopened box
until long after they sold their condo: couldn't *cut* the screw to
make it fit in the space they had available (a chain drive would
have been relatively easy to alter).