Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default garage door opener chain coming off

Hi all - any help is greatly appreciated.

My garage door opener (an older Sears/Craftsman 1990) has started
throwing off the chain. The sproket is in good shape (was replaced a
few years ago) but there seems to be a collar or bushing missing (or
broken) from the shaft that goes down into the housing. When garage
door begins to lift, the sprocket is pulled forward, tips slightly, and
throws the chain off. Do I need to replace the entire assembly? Do I
need a technician?

Thanks.
Bruce

Thank you! I will see if I can find that part here in Ottawa, Ontario.
Anyone know of a place?

Thanks again - this worked perfectly and was fairly simple.

The only thing that got me stuck for a few minutes is that on the
bottom of the shaft, there is a plastic gear held in place by a plastic
retainer clip - once i removed this the whole unit came smoothly out
the top and I was able to install the new part.