Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default chain drive garage door opener

On 2/4/2016 10:08 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 2/4/2016 10:47 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 2/4/2016 8:04 AM, Don Y wrote:
Neighbor complaining of a rattling noise. Didn't take more
than a moment to determine chain is slack on his GDO.
Simple fix -- end of story.

But, got me wondering as to the potential downside of a
"slack" chain -- beyond the noise and *eventual* wear
on it and the drive bar from that rubbing.

OTOH, a *taut* chain is a recipe for premature wear in
the mechanism...

If it's like my door opener, which has a slack chain about every three
months,
there is an adjustment screw on the back of the motor/gear box. Climb
up there
and tighten the chain.

I have not yet found a way to keep the adjustment from moving and
slacking the
chain.

This adjustment is in series with the chain -- i.e., the attachment of the
chain is via a variable length (threaded rod) member; shorten it and the
chain is effectively tightened. *It* doesn't "move" (with wear).

I'm just curious as to the downside of a slack chain (assuming it is not
excessive)

The downside is it wears the paint on the front of the door!

Paul