Posted to alt.home.repair

Default opaque screen door material?

Hi All,

I have a sliding screen door on a sliding glass door.
Is there a such thing as an opaque screen door material
that I could replace the screening with? I want no
light, but I want air flow.

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 22:39:56 -0800, T wrote:

Hi All,

I have a sliding screen door on a sliding glass door.
Is there a such thing as an opaque screen door material
that I could replace the screening with? I want no
light, but I want air flow.

Many thanks,
-T

I think light is smaller than air, so something simple is unlikely.

But light travels, generally, in a straight line, while air can bend,
so maybe you can mount two grids that are offset from each other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/16 1:39 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I have a sliding screen door on a sliding glass door.
Is there a such thing as an opaque screen door material
that I could replace the screening with? I want no
light, but I want air flow.

Many thanks,
-T

Spirit Gate.

--
With all this €śgun control€ť talk, I havent heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists€” just from law
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2016 12:21 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 1/31/16 1:39 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I have a sliding screen door on a sliding glass door.
Is there a such thing as an opaque screen door material
that I could replace the screening with? I want no
light, but I want air flow.

Many thanks,
-T

Spirit Gate.

Hi Wade,

Bummer. I did a search on "spirit Gate" and got
all kinds of unrelated stuff.

You wouldn't happen to have a link?

Many thanks,
-t
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2016 08:14 AM, Micky wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 22:39:56 -0800, T wrote:

Hi All,

I have a sliding screen door on a sliding glass door.
Is there a such thing as an opaque screen door material
that I could replace the screening with? I want no
light, but I want air flow.

Many thanks,
-T

I think light is smaller than air, so something simple is unlikely.

But light travels, generally, in a straight line, while air can bend,
so maybe you can mount two grids that are offset from each other.

I wonder if I could keep them lines up ...

Thank you for the help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 02:16:56 -0800, T wrote:

On 01/31/2016 08:14 AM, Micky wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 22:39:56 -0800, T wrote:

Hi All,

I have a sliding screen door on a sliding glass door.
Is there a such thing as an opaque screen door material
that I could replace the screening with? I want no
light, but I want air flow.

Many thanks,
-T

I think light is smaller than air, so something simple is unlikely.

But light travels, generally, in a straight line, while air can bend,
so maybe you can mount two grids that are offset from each other.

I wonder if I could keep them lines up ...

Thank you for the help!

I forgot. What you want are venetian blinds. That's what they
were designed to do. Most people lose track of this because when
they close the blinds, they do so putting the concave face facing
downwards. So light continues to come through until the last bit of
adjustment, and even then some will come through.

Instead, the blinds should be adjusted in the other direction, so the
convex side faces the light, which most of the time is above, not at
the horizon. When the slats are at a 45^ angle, there will still be
an inch between each slat. The breeze will just have to go up over
the slat, but the light won't do that.

When the sun is very near the horizon, closing the blinds in the other
direction might be good, not sure.

Do you have to get horizontal slats for this to work?. Levelor
started off by pushing vertical slats, and I just assumed they were
trying to be different and weren't really concerned with fulfilling
all the abilities of horizontal slats. On the theory that women
wanted "window treatments" unrelated to practical needs. And they do
(still in my mind) make a house look modern, but do they keep out the
sun while letting in the breeze? The sun is at different latitudes
through out the year, so one will have to remember where the sun is
going to be when adjusting them. OTOH, that wouldnt' be true with
horizontal slats. Also I know vertical slats close more than enough
in one direction, but do they close at all in the other direction? If
the most they go in that direction is perpendicular to the window, or
a little farther, that's not enough.

I have no idea what they cost these days, and there are probably many
styles, with metal** slats, wood slats, different kinds of tape, so
what you might do is buy a blind 2, 3, 4, 6 feet wide, even though the
door can open wider.

**Metal, though not high fashion I suppose, has the advantage of
weighing less (easier to mount, easier to pull up) and being curved.
I'm not sure why I think so, ????, maybe because I like anything old
and dislike most things new, but curved seem more likely to work well
here. ????

Here are a couple webpages that confirm what I already knew:
Well, I only found one, and it wasn't sure. Maybe I am the only one
who knows this.
http://retrorenovation.com/2014/04/0...zontal-blinds/
I didn't read the comments.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's more, that gives more advantages and disadvantages of different
styles of blinds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_blind#Venetian

It was too much for me, especially the part about pinoleum! "Pinoleum
blinds Pinoleum blinds are made up of small wooden twigs (huh?)
laid horizontally which are joined together by vertical threading. The
resulting weave is, as a result, only flexible vertically and can be
drawn upwards once manufactured as a roller blind or in a similar
fashion to a Venetian blind. Conservatory blinds are often made with
Pinoleum. Drawings in ancient Egyptian tombs of reed blinds have been
reported[who?] and a common window blind during the 19th century is
said to have been the home-made roller shade, a shade that has been
underestimated. In Malaysia, an outdoor blind is sometimes called a
"chik". The word was carried over from India by the British during the
colonial times."

Depending on what you want, there are also awnings, including those
that crank closed and those that open and close electrically. I have
no experience with these. They'll all let light in and if the door
faces even partially east or west, quite a bit at sun-up and sun-down,
but not as much in the middle of the day.

wrote:

[...]

Very opaque paint in a spray can? Jack UK diy 3 April 25th 06 10:05 AM
Projector Screen Material Tim Nicholson UK diy 26 March 9th 06 08:40 AM
Projector Screen Material Tim Nicholson UK diy 3 March 8th 06 10:52 AM
Opaque Film David UK diy 3 December 4th 05 09:18 PM
How to replace a screen in a non-spline screen door Theron Home Ownership 4 May 28th 05 08:59 PM