Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much should a gutter slope?

On Friday, August 18, 2000 at 7:38:07 PM UTC-5, Charles wrote:
I need to add about 25 feet of gutter to a screen porch I'm building. Does
anyone know the magic number for how much slope it should have towards the
downspout?

Thanks a ton:

Charles

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:31:57 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

That's probably the very minimum. Myself, I prefer to make it more. Part
of the reason is because it's near impossible to get the pitch perfectly
along the entire length, so you can end up getting spots that puddle. I
put about 30' of gutter on my barn, and I have about 4" of drop. It
works well, as long as I clean out all the leaves and crap that seems to
constantly get in the gutters.

Also, this barn was built in the 1950s and over time the middle of the
roof has sagged a bit. I wanted to compensate for that too.

You can get away with that much on a barn. Typical house, that much
slope would be obvious. Even if you get a puddle here and there, is
that so bad? It just dries out, doesn't it?

It's obvious on the barn too, but I'm not worried about it. It's not
about appearance, it's about practicality. Puddles dry up in warm
weather, while they are rusting the gutter, and trapping debris. In cold
weather, they freeze and damage the gutter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 17:09:11 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Micky wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 13:19:43 -0600, wrote:

Charles
ideal is about 1/16" per foot, so roughly 1.5 inches drop in 25 feet
would do it.

That's probably the very minimum. Myself, I prefer to make it more.

If you make the slope about 1" per foot, when it rains, the beetles
can go white-water rafting.

???, an inch per foot? That's a lot!

Beetles like excitement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 2:32:06 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 2:20:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 12:30:16 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 07:53:15 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

In the summer, yes.

In the winter the puddles can freeze over causing blockage from upstream, causing
more puddling and more freezing which leads to ice dams and overflows. DAMHIKT
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are not making any sense. If a low spot freezes, it makes for a
straight run which eliminates the tendancy to puddle.

And using seamless aluminum gutters eliminates the rusting problem,
and makes it pretty simple to eliminate low spots too.
The guy that put mine up "levelled" it with a laser. Just aimed the
laser from the high point to the low point and made sure the trough
followed the beam
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

....snip...

When they installed my gutters, they sloped one section too much and it looked bad. I had
them come back and fix it. They "fixed" it by creating a low spot which puddled in the
summer and caused backups behind the low spot in the winter.

I know where the puddle was - found while cleaning the gutters the first autumn after the "fix".
The following winter, the gutters backed up and overflowed behind the low spot. In the spring
I removed the low spot and have not had a winter-time overflow since.

My point was that puddles do indeed dry up in the summer, but they can also cause problems
during freeze-thaw cycles in the winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 20:28:57 -0600,
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 21:03:33 -0500,
wrote:

And using seamless aluminum gutters eliminates the rusting problem,
and makes it pretty simple to eliminate low spots too.
The guy that put mine up "levelled" it with a laser. Just aimed the
laser from the high point to the low point and made sure the trough
followed the beam

Thats if you want to pay big bucks to have someone install seamless. I
put up my own and it has seams. The laser level is a good idea though.

As far as aluminum, it will expand much faster than steel from ice. One
thing evryone seems to ignore is that it's not just a small puddle, it's
a spot that attracts debris, and that freezes and adds more ice and then
there are ice dams.... Heck, I've seen small trees growing in gutters if
people dont clean them.

That has nothing to do with the slope though.
As for the cost of seamless, I had mine installed for what it would
have cost me to buy the steeland pay myself 50 cents an hour to
install it - it was a total no-brainer. I could have done it in Platmo
or some other DIY plastic for less - but that stuff is all junk up
here in ice and snow country.
I put gutter guard on all of mine so I don't have to climb up and
clean the gutters every year.

Seamless gutter, you pick color, decide how wide and deep, truck mounted
machine comes to your house. Rolls the stuff right there and install it
as it rolls off the machine. Does not even take whole lot of time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 23:09:43 -0500, wrote:

As far as aluminum, it will expand much faster than steel from ice. One
thing evryone seems to ignore is that it's not just a small puddle, it's
a spot that attracts debris, and that freezes and adds more ice and then
there are ice dams.... Heck, I've seen small trees growing in gutters if
people dont clean them.

That has nothing to do with the slope though.
As for the cost of seamless, I had mine installed for what it would
have cost me to buy the steeland pay myself 50 cents an hour to
install it - it was a total no-brainer. I could have done it in Platmo
or some other DIY plastic for less - but that stuff is all junk up
here in ice and snow country.
I put gutter guard on all of mine so I don't have to climb up and
clean the gutters every year.

Actually it has a LOT to do with the pitch. Debris flows out of a gutter
that has more pitch, than on with little pitch. Sure, no amount of pitch
will stop all debris, but more pitch helps.

I agree about those plastic gutters being junk. I put a short 6' section
over the door on my workshop and after one winter it was broken apart.
But it was a scrap piece that was given to me, so I'm glad I found out
how bad the stuff is without spending any money. I replaced it with some
used steel gutter I also got for free. That works fine.

Gutter guards would not work good on my barn. That barn roof collects
debris on the roof itself. The roof should have more pitch, but it came
with my farm, so I had no say in the matter. I have to sweep leaves and
fallen tree branches at least twice a year. But it's flat enough to
easily walk on it and clean the gutters from on the roof.